PDA

View Full Version : Preflop Nuclear War breaks out in the 8-16 at Bellagio

David Ottosen
09-03-2002, 11:04 PM
I am playing 8-16 at Bellagio and I don't know anyone in the game. It is early in my session and I am in the BB with QQ. Before I can even process my happiness at getting a good BB hand, it is raised, reraised, and rereraised to me. So, three other people are in the hand, all of whom have raised. And I'm in the BB with QQ. Should I call? "NO HAND IS WORTH COLD CALLING THREE BETS PREFLOP WITH" booms the haunting voice of Dynasty in my head. Should I fold? "I THOUGHT YOU WERE A LOOSE AGGRESSIVE PLAYER" screams the Clarkmeister to my inner conscience. So dammit, I five bet it. Four of us see the flop.

I wondered in later thought if this wasn't an acceptable hand to cold call three bets with, given that the question of who caps it behind me will give me some information of what the hell is going on. If it doesn't get 5-bet, I may be able to assume that my hand has a fair chance of being good. If it does get 5-bet, I'm in set flopping mode most likely. Or should I just fold preflop?

As the hand played. I capped it and 4 of us saw the flop of T64 rainbow. I bet and they all called; at this point, I'm starting to suspect my hand is good oddly enough. The turn was a ten and I bet. Next to act raised all in to 25 and they both called. I reraised to 41 and the second guy called all in and the button called, so there are now three pots. I now expect to have lost the main pot and am trying to build side pots. The river pairs the 6. I bet and the button calls.

I turn over my hand and watch the cascading waterfall as each pot is pushed into the next pot up the line as players muck. Much to my amazement, my hand is good for the whole shebang. I'd say this was the most surprising hand of the trip for me (except for perhaps the 10-20 at the Mirage on the second consecutive hand I had AA; not so much the result of the hand as just that I picked it up and looked at it and saw AA again). No one else in the hand showed their hand.

Mason Malmuth
09-03-2002, 11:45 PM
I agree that it was a surprise your hand was good. By not capping you gain information which could be helpful later, especially if you flop a set.

MM

Mike Gallo
09-03-2002, 11:46 PM

Mason Malmuth
09-03-2002, 11:46 PM
xxx

Mikey
09-03-2002, 11:53 PM
I'm actually surprised that your hand was good, i think I would have mucked before the flop based on all that action.

mike l.
09-04-2002, 12:04 AM

Clarkmeister
09-04-2002, 02:23 AM
WOOHOO!

I really like the presense of mind to start cranking it and building side pots.