PDA

View Full Version : Flopped straight

Geo
02-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Dealt T 7 . Early stages of SNG, blinds 10-20, chips stacks from 900 to 1200. No one has bet anything larger than 50 thus far.

3 limpers around to you in SB, BB checks. No real reason not to at least pay 10 for a flop.

Flop is:

6 8 9

I bet 200 (2x the pot) and was raised all in and lost to JT when a Q hit the turn.

I read this on another forum and the replies were ranging from fold preflop, allin on the flop and it was played just about right, I think it was played right. This is why I call 10 more chips so I can flop this type of hand, hands like 10 6 and worse I fold easly.

bigredlemon
02-17-2005, 04:23 PM
I'd fold preflop and bet the pot on the flop.

You don't want to ever go in with a junk hand because even if you hit the flop big, you can still get outdrawn by a bigger hand. Especially with T7, you either flop the bottom end of a straight, or flop a nut straight with someone else chasing to a higher end. That's why some people like Doyle Brunson recommend playing lower suited connectors if you must and throw away middle cards.

BigDave
02-17-2005, 04:57 PM
I would fold this Pre flop.

If I did call it and flopped this straight, you have to play it hard. There are tons of redraws to higher straights and midpair sets to boats. Any 6-Q COULD ruin your hand. Betting 200 into a 100 pot is about spot on in my book, hoping someone raises me so I can shove when I have the best hand. I cannot see going all-in here to win a t100 pot. I lost my made hand to a draw, I got all my chips in the middle when my hand was the best, time to fire up another SNG.

spentrent
02-17-2005, 05:09 PM
On the flop, don't overbet the pot. A smaller bet would induce the same all-in semi-bluff from that type of player.

I don't mind the pre-flop SB limp. This smells like a slow Stars tournament where you can get paid off appropriately for an early game miracle flop.

I'll fold this in a Party game, however.

willie
02-17-2005, 05:25 PM
played it fine, it's just a bad beat story

you played it super fast on the flop and got someone in who was drawing pretty slim, what else can you hope for.