PDA

View Full Version : Three marginal no limit hands (long)

college kid
02-17-2005, 07:57 AM
College dorm game. 10 handed. SB = 25 cents and big is fifty.

The first hand I am UTG with AT of spades, and being a little more agressive than usual all night. I make it two bucks to go and it is folded to the cut off, who calls. Everybody else folds. I have about $20 after my raise and the CO has me covered. The flop is Jh 8s 2s. I bet out $4 and he puts me all in for my last $16. So there's $28 in the pot and it's $16 for me to call. Usually I just give up in marginal situations where I am forced to call, but I always enjoy betting out with stuff like this. I did not like being put in this position and normally I would make an easy fold. However, I have played with this guy many times and I know him well, and this really looked like a move. I also have some minor tells which are mostly indicative of strength, nothing specific. So I am about 75% certain he has nothing, and another 20% thinks he has a jack and the last five that I am dominated. The problem is that I still don't have much to call a move with even if it is a move. I rationalized to myself that my ace was good, and with my ace I had pot odds, just barely. In fact he had sixes in the hole, and my ace and ten were good along with my flush draw.

Hand number two: I have about $35 in front of me and there are four callers, and I limp in in middle position with some fun junk, T7 of diamonds. Two more people call as do the blinds. The flop is a beauty: Th 9d 4d. The small blind bets out $3 and it's folded to me, where I raise it another five, to $8. He goes all in and has me covered. He is an okay player and fairly predictable preflop. With all the limpers, I am sure he does not have a set, as he would have raised with any pair to narrow the field and get some callers. He also is agressive sometimes with very marginal holdings, but other times not. I figured he could have something like a nine but he could also have ten nine or ten four, and that was probably more likely. He doesn't steal extremely often. Again, I have some slight reads, but I was confused. I read him for a marginal holding but he usually isn't that agressive with weak hands. As it turned out I called and he had ten four of spades. At the time of my call, there was forty five bucks in the pot and it was just over twenty five for me to call. I was surprised to find on Two Dimes that I was actually a favorite there with my backdoor straight and my flush and my seven pairing or as kicker toanother pair on the board. But again, it's so close.

The third hand I was UTG with tens. I saw that the small blind, who has very loose raising standards had picked up a hand he was going to raise with and that the big blind, based on an accurate tell, had AK or AQ or a middle pair. I called the blind, as did a few unfortunate clueless people, and the small blind raised to five to go, the big blind made it ten, and then I shoved for $50 into the now $20 pot. The limpers folded as did the small blind after a bit of agony. The big blind called with slick. The small blind showed his AQs as we flipped and sighed with releif.

Each of these hands was a very amrginal situation and the first two I really hated because I don't like being in the position of having to call. I am agressive and like it to be that way. I called the first two hands not only for the reasons listed but I wanted to make sure they knew that I was going to put their chips at risk every time I had any kind of a hand, so as to dissuade them from playing into me again. The guy with the sixes was shocked and I don't think he will play at me any more, but the guy who had T4 flopped two pair and just didn't think much about anything, so i am more upset about that call. In each of these situations however, I ended up being the favorite, though I was surprised by that fact, especially with the T7s. I just don't know how good or bad my calls were on the first two. I am happy with my shove on the third hand but am curious as to what you all think of it. Also, I really have a high confidence in my analysis and my reads. What do you all think about these hands. Easy folds? Bad calls? Anything at all would be helpful. Oh, and I lost all three of them. I'm not upset about that, but curious about how bad my calls were in the first two--I have no problem betting and shoveing with powerful draws like those, but it's the calling with them that I am just not sure about. Thoughts??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

otnemem
02-17-2005, 08:57 AM
I think hands 1 and 2 are a-okay. Nut flush draw, and then top pair flush draw - lots of outs in either situation.

I don't like hand 3. I don't think pocket tens are strong enough to limp reraise all in. You'll often be behind when there's a raise and a reraise, and if you're not behind, you're probably barely ahead. I'm not sure how you could possibly have a read on anyone's hand before they act. I don't think you can narrow the BB's hand down to AK, AQ, or middle pair just by the way he looks at his cards, before watching how he bets or anything else relative. At best, 10s are a raise and fold to a big re-raise, so I don't like the play on hand 3.