PDA

View Full Version : At what point do I need to develop Level 3 thinking?

Pepsquad
02-17-2005, 07:04 AM
Most people here I'm sure are familiar with the levels of thought in poker, but as a quick review...

Level 1 is knowing how to correctly play the cards your are dealt, taking into account position, stack sizes, etc. with no regard of what two cards your opponent may be playing.

Level 2 (which is what I'm developing currently) begins to shift focus from ones own cards towards a range of hands which your opponent might hold.

I'm currently playing $5.50 and $11 SNG's at UB and the $11's at Party (where level 2 is where you need to be operating).

So my question for posters here who are playing the higher SNG's, at what point do you need to develop Level 3 thinking (What range of hands does my opponent put me on? And based on his read, what action will be most beneficial for me?).

My gut says that the $33's are probably where the level 2's are struggling and the level 3's are winning but wanted to hear from those with experience.

Thanks,

Pep.

ZebraAss
02-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Wow...great post. I'll probabally be thinking about this for the next week or so. I would like to know what Irieguy and the others have to say.

hansarnic
02-17-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

My gut says that the $33's are probably where the level 2's are struggling and the level 3's are winning but wanted to hear from those with experience.

Pep.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your over-estimating the skill level. A good % of 33 players don't really think about what their opponents might have, massively over-value their hands and don't have even the most basic understanding of SnG strategy.

But enough about me....

Pepsquad
02-17-2005, 07:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pep.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your over-estimating the skill level. A good % of 33 players don't really think about what their opponents might have, massively over-value their hands and don't have even the most basic understanding of SnG strategy.

But enough about me....

[/ QUOTE ]

$55's??? Surely a good number of opponents at this level are thinking about my hand.

Pep.

Pepsquad
02-17-2005, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow...great post. I'll probabally be thinking about this for the next week or so. I would like to know what Irieguy and the others have to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah - Irie, Daliman, Diablo - I hope some of them stumble their way in here. I'd just like to know at what point I need to begin worrying about people paying attention to my patterns and playing accordingly.

tallasudude
02-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Yes I think the 50/5 area is when your opponents start thinking about what your bets and raises say about the cards you are holding by how you have played them in earlier rounds. But they aren’t thinking about what they think I think they have. Very possibly 5-handed or less because of the blind steeling but that’s all.

They basically want to play their cards. They are more aware of check raises and other plays because they are more likely to have more experience then the players at the lower buy-ins.

ZebraAss
02-17-2005, 07:53 AM
Then does level 3 thinking come in the 100/9 or 200/15 tables? I think it starts at 100/9.

...english paper....must complete

stripsqueez
02-17-2005, 09:44 AM
i think the description "level 3 thinking" is stupid - i also think the idea that to do it is the realm of an expert is stupid

chooks think about what there opponents are thinking - but if your a chook you think your opponent is thinking like a chook

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

lorinda
02-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Another chat where I decided the table coach could entertain me for a while.

First hand......

ultrevex: top pair no good?
ultrevex folds.

alannamia balance 2020, bet 800, collected 2020, net +1220 [ Th Td ] [ two pairs, tens and nines -- Js,Th,Td,9c,9h ]

ultrevex: wow
ultrevex: idiotic but effective
ultrevex: I give you guys WAY too much respect here
ultrevex: you had to know you were beaten on that flop?
lorinda: he won the chips
lorinda: that's the game
ultrevex: you have a LOT to learn
alannamia: who me
ultrevex: whoever made the 'won the chips' horseshit
ohdannyboy_: rather be dumb w all the chips then smart w/out em

Lori

raptor517
02-17-2005, 05:27 PM
i think MAYBE level 3 thinking comes into play with, oh, i duno, about 5 players at the 215 level and about 2 players at the 109 level. the thing with sngs is that you dont really need to have much of a thought process at all in terms of thinking about what the opponent has to succeed in them. it seems silly, yes, but that kind of thought is really only used in the bigger live games and on the tournament circuit.