PDA

View Full Version : Bottled Water

Brainwalter
02-17-2005, 04:24 AM
Where do you stand on bottled water? I'm talking about what you drink around the house.

Reef
02-17-2005, 04:26 AM
bottled = overrated

nothumb
02-17-2005, 04:27 AM
I drink bottled unless I run out, in which case I drink tap. Tap around here is notoriously bad, doesn't taste very good, etc. In an area with good tap water I don't care.

NT

Reef
02-17-2005, 04:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I drink bottled unless I run out, in which case I drink tap. Tap around here is notoriously bad, doesn't taste very good, etc. In an area with good tap water I don't care.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

get a Brita filter. problem solved

thatpfunk
02-17-2005, 04:28 AM
Tap water in San Diego is horrible. If you drink it when it rains you get sick.

housenuts
02-17-2005, 04:36 AM
i dislike tap water. i have a brita filter. i will drink out of water fountains, but i don't like tap water in cups. i buy bottled water from time to time but only when i'm thirsty and don't feel like any of the other assorted beverages for sale.

Eurotrash
02-17-2005, 04:36 AM
rainwater and/or grain alcohol only.

Can't say I'd recommend tap water much either.. damn Commies and their fluoridation.

Alobar
02-17-2005, 04:39 AM
people who drink bottled water when they are at their own house, are stupid. Thats right, if you are one of these people, you didnt just misread me. You are effing dumb.

I have purified water from the tap (I used to use a brita, but got lazy and got a pur that goes on the faucet, i want to get a reverse osmosis but so far have been to lazy). If I'm out and about and get thirtsy, or am traveling or something. Then I buy bottled water.

nothumb
02-17-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How good are these at filtering out all the deadly carcinogens, PCBs, etc that give our area a disproportionately high rate of retarded babies?

NT

Alobar
02-17-2005, 04:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How good are these at filtering out all the deadly carcinogens, PCBs, etc that give our area a disproportionately high rate of retarded babies?

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

prolly alot more effective than the bottled water plant that may or may not even filter the water you are drinking (depending on which brand you buy, or what report you read)

Victor
02-17-2005, 04:45 AM
When traveling I drink bottled water as it is easy to access and transport.

At home I drink tap water as I think it tastes better. seriously.

nothumb
02-17-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
prolly alot more effective than the bottled water plant that may or may not even filter the water you are drinking (depending on which brand you buy, or what report you read)

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine comes from some place in Maine. My tap water comes from the river near my house. Usually we get Poland Spring which I bet is safer than PCBs from the Housatonic and Hudson rivers courtesy of GE. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

So, I just wonder if a Brita filter catches that kind of stuff, or how much. Cause I hope my babies don't come out all [censored] up.

NT

plaster8
02-17-2005, 04:50 AM
I drink tap water if I'm just drinking plain water.

But 99 percent of the time, I drink Talking Rain sparkling water out of bottles. I like the fizz.

Reef
02-17-2005, 04:59 AM
the tap water in Hawaii's fine

peachy
02-17-2005, 05:00 AM
I only drink bottled water or distilled water. This is gonna sound SO stuck up (ill say it before someone does!) but i used to even brush my teeth with bottled water the 1st few yrs of college

I have a filter on my sink for "backup", but i always always always have to bottled water with me everywhere i go, to class, on trips, etc

sublime
02-17-2005, 05:01 AM
bottled = overrated

no way man

Alobar
02-17-2005, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but i used to even brush my teeth with bottled water the 1st few yrs of college

[/ QUOTE ]

*shaked head* I dunno even know what to say to that...... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Reef
02-17-2005, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bottled = overrated

no way man

[/ QUOTE ]

when you grow up in Hawaii, it is.

peachy
02-17-2005, 05:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but i used to even brush my teeth with bottled water the 1st few yrs of college

[/ QUOTE ]

*shaked head* I dunno even know what to say to that...... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha how did i KNOW ud find this within seconds and say something like that!!

EliteNinja
02-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Brita filtered tap water.

jason_t
02-17-2005, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
bottled = overrated

[/ QUOTE ]

bottled = overpriced

but i buy it anyway. i grew up in an area where the water was iron rich and tasted horrible, even through multiple filters so i grew up drinking bottled water and continue to to this day.

private joker
02-17-2005, 06:56 AM
Few people know the true source of two popular brands of bottled water: Dasani and Aquafina, bottled by Coke and Pepsi respectively.

What happens is Coke and Pepsi use a lot of water to make their soda products. Millions of gallons. They were taking the rejected waste water and dumping it. Someone got the bright idea to not get rid of it -- to bottle it and sell it at a 300% markup. So what they do is take the used water (which comes from a municipal tap), process and filter it, and add trace minerals, and call it "purified." That, of course, is crap. Dasani and Aquafina are the bottom of the barrel, literally. And Dasani was also found to have illegally high contents of cancer-causing bromide in it. Great.

To make sure you're not drinking bottled tap water, it has to say "spring" or "natural spring" water on it. Arrowhead is pretty good, Volvic is pretty good, etc.

But basically, bottled water is for sissies. Get over yourselves. I can find a few million people in the world who would like nothing more than an endless supply of tap water, and you prima donnas need your Evian or else.

I use a Brita filter and leave it at that. But tap water isn't going to kill me.

daveymck
02-17-2005, 07:09 AM
They started selling Dansai in the UK but people found out quite quickly what it was (in essence tap water) and the cancer issue and it was withdrawn from sale very quickly probably at a huge cost as they had vending machines etc with it in as well.

It shocks me its still on sale in the US.

thatpfunk
02-17-2005, 07:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What happens is Coke and Pepsi use a lot of water to make their soda products. Millions of gallons. They were taking the rejected waste water and dumping it. Someone got the bright idea to not get rid of it -- to bottle it and sell it at a 300% markup. So what they do is take the used water (which comes from a municipal tap), process and filter it, and add trace minerals, and call it "purified." That, of course, is crap. Dasani and Aquafina are the bottom of the barrel, literally. And Dasani was also found to have illegally high contents of cancer-causing bromide in it. Great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that Dasani tasted gross (Fiji water too for some reason...) and refused to drink it. I also don't like that Dasani has sodium in their water /images/graemlins/confused.gif, it seems to make me more thirsty.

[ QUOTE ]
But basically, bottled water is for sissies. Get over yourselves. I can find a few million people in the world who would like nothing more than an endless supply of tap water, and you prima donnas need your Evian or else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tap water in San Diego can seriously make you sick. Our irrigation (i have no idea what it is actually called, but our city's waterworks system) is incredibly poor, and when it rains everything becomes backed up with sewage. You are not allowed to go swimming at a lot of beaches and it is not recomended to drink the water. I love tap water from other areas (especially in denver).

The environment sure is in great condition.

MarkL444
02-17-2005, 07:18 AM
i had an econ prof last year who was fresh out of grad school. she said she did some huge research project on bottled water. apparently, she drank certain brands of water, but claimed she would rather drink out of a toilet bowl for others. cant remember which is which though /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

GuyOnTilt
02-17-2005, 07:32 AM
Either bottled or Brita'd. Tap water is absolutely disgusting in SoCal. But now I've gotten in the habit of only drinking filtered or bottled, so I don't drink tap wherever I go now.

GoT

Freakin
02-17-2005, 07:37 AM
Tap water in Seattle is hella good, I'm fine drinking it without a filter. I am lazy. Bottled water makes drinking water easier. I happily pay $3 for 24 bottles of water, just so that I don't have to get out a glass and wait for the tap to get cold. If someone offered to take $3 to fill up 24 bottles from my tap and place them in my fridge, I would accept. It's completely a matter of convenience for me.

Freakin

GuyOnTilt
02-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Tap water in Seattle is hella good, I'm fine drinking it without a filter. I am lazy. Bottled water makes drinking water easier. I happily pay $3 for 24 bottles of water, just so that I don't have to get out a glass and wait for the tap to get cold. If someone offered to take $3 to fill up 24 bottles from my tap and place them in my fridge, I would accept. It's completely a matter of convenience for me.

Seattle tap is pretty decent. Get a glass pitcher, fill with tap, add a slice of lime, place in fridge.

GoT

Danenania
02-17-2005, 07:45 AM
I drink bottled mainly because it's easier than dealing with a cup/glass.

edit: Just noticed Freakin said the same thing. Right on.

Danenania
02-17-2005, 07:48 AM
That involves cutting limes, filling the pitcher, AND you still have to pour water into a glass every time you want some.

ZebraAss
02-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Half of my parent’s property is located on a water pipeline easement up in Washington...best water ever.

beerbandit
02-17-2005, 09:22 AM
i drink bottled water when on the road, at home i drink out of the water cooler. we have really "hard" water at my house and with a water softner that water does not taste very good. if the tap water taste decent then i do not mind at all to drink it.

at work we have a water cooler

cheers

turnipmonster
02-17-2005, 10:43 AM
nyc has great tap water.

namknils
02-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Chicago tap water = Awesome.
Lake Michigan water baby! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I think it's the best tap water in the country, I'm not just saying that, I've heard about it from all over. I'm not going to try to dig up articles to back it up though, so you'll have to believe me. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

daryn
02-17-2005, 11:30 AM
http://www.crankycritic.com/archive98/posters/acivilaction.jpg

deacsoft
02-17-2005, 11:40 AM
The main thing many poeple fail to realize is that bottled water is not regulated by the government (FDA) or anyone. You could buy some empty bottles, fill them up from your bathroom shower, slap a label on them, and sell them to the masses. Granted, most of the bottled water around here is a step up from tap water as far as taste is concerned. However, they can use any water source to fill these bottles to sell to you at outrageous prices.

Ray Zee
02-17-2005, 12:26 PM
plus the plastic the water sits in the bottles is the bad kind. it has things that leach into the water. best is to distill your own at home and carry the proper plastic or glass bottle with you. or have a good well for water.

jar
02-17-2005, 12:29 PM
When I lived in Worcester, I ran everything through a filter. The whole city water system, at least in the area I lived, was made of ancient pipes and the water tasted nasty. Brita/Pur cleaned it right up though. Where I am now in the philly burbs, we have our own well, so the tap water is great. In a city with heavily chlorinated water, I'll drink bottles. Chlorine is nasty.

bear187
02-17-2005, 12:34 PM
I live in FL and apparently people from outside of my state think the tap water is awful here. I grew up on it though, so I love it. The NYC water was nasty to me :O

Ray Zee
02-18-2005, 12:48 AM
if you put your chlorinated water in an open contaniner the chlorine will dissapate into the air after awhile. works for that but the other crap stays.

underaged
02-18-2005, 12:50 AM
I only drink the extract from the foreskin of a couple's firstborn son.

Actually, I drink bottled around the house 100% of the time and when I'm out I drink tap if I can't easily acquire bottled. California water tastes weird to me. Atlanta water had a nice tangy flavour.

ilya
02-18-2005, 01:20 AM
Bottled water is for ponces and drama queens.

peachy
02-18-2005, 01:26 AM
a few years back...a bottled water co used water from a firehydrant in i believe it was philly, and bottled it up and sold it b/c its still "ground water" etc, etc.

Im really really really really SUPER picky with water though, some people say im nuts b/c i can taste a HUGE difference in bottled waters, and some r so nasty to me i cant even drink them. Im pretty much partial to aquafina and dasani (even though people say bad things about it, chemicals and such) but oh well, ya gotta die someday!

Ten7offsuit
02-18-2005, 02:55 AM
I grew up always drinking bottled water, so now any kind of tap water just tastes really weird to me. Besides, bottled water is just so much more convenient...

wonderwes
02-18-2005, 11:58 AM
If you don't own a Brita, you really should get one. Its like $20. The tap water in Austin is alright. However, I do drink a lot of water each day, and mainly because it comes out of the brita, and it tastes quite good. Plus, its already chilled since it has been sitting in your fridge. Tap water just does not compare to the water filtered by the Brita.

I think some people have just never tasted quality water before so they dont know the difference.

apd138
02-18-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a few years back...a bottled water co used water from a firehydrant in i believe it was philly, and bottled it up and sold it b/c its still "ground water" etc, etc.

Im really really really really SUPER picky with water though, some people say im nuts b/c i can taste a HUGE difference in bottled waters, and some r so nasty to me i cant even drink them. Im pretty much partial to aquafina and dasani (even though people say bad things about it, chemicals and such) but oh well, ya gotta die someday!

[/ QUOTE ] Please please go buy some Volvic.

namknils
02-18-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty much partial to aquafina and dasani (even though people say bad things about it, chemicals and such)

[/ QUOTE ]

You actually like Dasani!!?? That stuff tastes like [censored]. I have to believe now that you don't have a clue what your talking about when you say your picky with the taste of water, because honestly I have never met ANYONE who liked the taste of Dasani.

Ray Zee
02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
what does the brita use to filter the water. is it charcoal. if it is what else is in that and where did it come from. because you are drinking that instead of what was taken out or disquised by the change of taste.

wacki
02-18-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what does the brita use to filter the water. is it charcoal. if it is what else is in that and where did it come from. because you are drinking that instead of what was taken out or disquised by the change of taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

They use food grade activated carbon and ion exchange resin.

Carbon doesn't release anything into the water. It absorbes like a sponge.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question209.htm

The ion exchange resin exchanges harmless hydrogen in exchange for harmful negative ions.

Pur is nice because they have a membrane that filters out bacteria as well. If you buy a filter, go PUR. PUR is what NATO/military uses and it is by far the best product out there.

I own this:

http://www.purwater.com/images/products/faucet_3stg_chrome.jpg

InchoateHand
02-18-2005, 12:52 PM
It is impossible for me to consider this without remembering the gigantic sign hanging from a Cornell University Co-op house a few years ago:

"I [censored] in Your Brita."

wacki
02-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Btw, a pur filter will not only make the water taste better, but it decreases your risk of cancer and even makes plants grow better.

Also, government enforced bottled water quality controls are very poor. The standards they are held to are less than tap water.

wacki
02-18-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I [censored] in Your Brita."

[/ QUOTE ]

You could [censored] in this PUR Scout and I wouldn't care.

http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/35/48/otdr_Camping_And_Hiking_Water_Treatment_PURPUR_Sco ut_Water_Purifier-resized200.jpg

Cost??? 2 cents per gallon.

InchoateHand
02-18-2005, 12:57 PM
See, for example, "Poland Springs" tapwater, since they tapped out the original spring.

wacki
02-18-2005, 01:04 PM
To clarify, I made the key letters bold.

InchoateHand
02-18-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm really slow today...I don't get it. I was just saying that because of lax standards "Poland Springs" sells, essentailly, low-grade tapwater.

wacki
02-18-2005, 01:09 PM
I don't know any specifics about poland springs, but nothing good or bad would surprise me.

More PUR info:

http://www.purwater.com/images/products/contam_faucets.gif

Not bad for a little guy.

GrunchCan
02-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Chicago tap water's pretty good. I drink tap.

The wife drinks tap water filtered in a Britta pitcher. Won't touch tap water.

peachy
02-18-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Please please go buy some Volvic.

[/ QUOTE ]'

never even heard of this /images/graemlins/frown.gif what is it??

peachy
02-18-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im pretty much partial to aquafina and dasani (even though people say bad things about it, chemicals and such)

[/ QUOTE ]

You actually like Dasani!!?? That stuff tastes like [censored]. I have to believe now that you don't have a clue what your talking about when you say your picky with the taste of water, because honestly I have never met ANYONE who liked the taste of Dasani.

[/ QUOTE ]

i really do, i wont drink any others, i throw them out if people get them for me besides aquafina! And i am SO picky!! Other people on this forum can attest to that!!

wacki
02-18-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please please go buy some Volvic.

never even heard of this what is it??

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm.... I see google in your future.

DBowling
02-18-2005, 02:56 PM
i have two of those 5 gallon water bottles that i fill up at the grocery store (like the big arrowhead bottles) and i have a dispenser for it.
im not sure if that is "other" or "bottled water"

Filtered should have also been an option