PDA

View Full Version : Getting lucky...

Andreas
09-03-2002, 08:00 PM
So, did I deserve this pot or did I just suck out like any plain old fish. Online 1-2 5 max game, reasonably passive (for a shorthanded game at least).

I'm in the SB and pick up 7h 9c

Utg calls, fair player in cutoff (FP) calls, button folds, I complete and BB checks.

Flop: Ts Th 4d

I check. BB checks, UTG checks and FP bets. I think he is just betting position here so I decide to pull a move. I checkraise. Figuring he will probably release overcards and maybe 55-99. If he holds a baby pair I'll have two (dubious) overcards. If he calls I'll bet the turn no matter what comes and hopefully he'll release any hand not containing a T. He calls.

Turn: 8d, Ts 4d Th

Good card for me, it at least turns my bluff into a semi-bluff. I fire away. He calls.

River: Jd, Ts 4d Th 8d

I bet, he calls. I win vs. his 6s 4s.

So, what do you think? FancyPlaySyndrome or sound thinking?

Sincerely, Andreas

Ikke
09-04-2002, 06:44 AM
Preflop I think your call is marginal at best. I would fold here. Why? Because your out of position and that's bad. Plus your hand is no powerhouse either.

Your move on the flop is reasonable if your opponent is not a thinker. Because if he is, he will know you don't have a T. So, with his position, he could easily resteal. Your bluff here is kinda obvious, your only real hands would probably be a 4, a reasonable A or a (medium) pocket pair. Or a total bluff. So, against a reasonable player he will likely call you down with an A or any pair. He'll simply let you hang yourself. And that way your move can prove costly. That, combined with the fact that he might very well resteal if he has crap, makes your move bad against reasonable opponents IMO.

Now, what often makes more sense is if you bet out a percentage of the times, especially if your image is a tight one. In my experience it's often more effective than giving your hand away by check-raising. Ofcourse when you bet out, you should also do it sometimes if you actually hold the T.

Regards

Andreas
09-04-2002, 08:27 AM
Preflop, I agree. I just felt like playing some cards. Most of the time I would fold (just as any looseygoosey would claim.. ;-) )

On the flop. I would bet a T very often (unless I had some indication that a early player would bet). So betting out is more credible. If he is a thinker he would probably figure this out. If he isn't, he probably doesn't care that I'm representing a T. He's gonna call with 88 no matter what.

I guess I fished out and got lucky.

Thanks for the comments.

Sincerely, Andreas