PDA

View Full Version : I :heart: hash

scrub
02-17-2005, 02:50 AM
Not that kind.

The kind with corned beef and potatoes. It is the nuts.

My favorite place for hash--and breakfast in general--is currently Bette's Oceanview Diner (http://www.worldpantry.com/bettes/home.html) in Berkeley. They serve the hash with two poached eggs and a Donut Muffin, which is a muffin fried in clarified butter and then rolled in cinnamon and sugar. It pretty much rules.

Anyone have a diner breakfast that dares to challenge Bette's hash? Bonus points for diner breakfasts in the Bay Area.

scrub

PoBoy321
02-17-2005, 02:54 AM
Corned beef is definitely the most highly underrated cured meat out there. The reuben is probably the best sandwich money can buy and I LIVE for St. Patrick's Day, not just for the drinking, for the corned beef and cabbage.

eric5148
02-17-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They serve the hash with two poached eggs and a Donut Muffin, which is a muffin fried in clarified butter and then rolled in cinnamon and sugar. It pretty much rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just threw up on my keyboard.

BusterStacks
02-17-2005, 03:00 AM
I have never had this. I have seen it in a can at the grocery store. Is that kind any good?

PoBoy321
02-17-2005, 03:04 AM
I've never had corned beef hash from a can, but I imagine that it's probably not that much worse than regular corned beef hash since corned beef hash is really a poor-man's version of what's already a poor-man's meat.

ThaSaltCracka
02-17-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have never had this. I have seen it in a can at the grocery store. Is that kind any good?

[/ QUOTE ] it tastes the exact same as the stuff in most diners.

I too also like corned beef hash.

scrub
02-17-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] it tastes the exact same as the stuff in most diners.

I too also like corned beef hash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel I have to step in here and defend Bette's honor.

can hash : hash from scratch

::

cafeteria sloppy joe : great steakhouse ribeye

scrub

ThaSaltCracka
02-17-2005, 03:19 AM
do whatever,they both taste good to me.

scrub
02-17-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so much that the canned is bad as that hash made from scratch is so good. I'm going to have to work on my analogy.

scrub

ThaSaltCracka
02-17-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's not so much that the canned is bad as that hash made from scratch is so good. I'm going to have to work on my analogy.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]no,that makes sense. Really though, canned hash is far from horrible, which is weird for a canned food. Maybe because the meat is already cured or something. Whatever though, the Stag Hash is pretty good.

scrub
02-17-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, how about this--

Canned Hash : Good Hash :: Random Hot Chick : Alizee

It's not like you'd kick either one out of bed for eating crackers, but there is still a clear right answer.

scrub

BusterStacks
02-17-2005, 03:27 AM
ok well how do i prepare it?

ThaSaltCracka
02-17-2005, 03:28 AM
that works for me.

BTW, Corned Beef rules as well.

ThaSaltCracka
02-17-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]fry it.

sfer
02-17-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have a diner breakfast that dares to challenge Bette's hash? Bonus points for diner breakfasts in the Bay Area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Bette's is the shiznit in the East Bay. Breakfast at Rick and Ann's by the Claremont is pretty good too. In SF it's Mama's on Washington Square (particularly if you like fresh pastries) and Ella's way out in Presidio Heights. The place by Diablo--and the ballpark--Town's End is pretty good too.

Brainwalter
02-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Yes this stuff is great. I like it with fried eggs. Scrambled too. And yes, the stuff in the can tastes good, some brands are better than others though.

Edit: Fry the canned stuff, and halfway through fry the eggs in the same pan.

bakku
02-17-2005, 11:24 AM
Corned beef hash is probably my favorite breakfast food. I can't believe my gf has never found out/told me about this place. Next time I'm in Berkeley I'm gonna find this diner.

bakku
02-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Have you ever tried the corned beef hash at the Grand Lux Cafe in the Venetian? That high class crap sucks sooo badly compared to the corned beef hash you find at diners.

edtost
02-17-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes this stuff is great. I like it with fried eggs. Scrambled too.

[/ QUOTE ]

corned beef hash served with any egg whose yolk isn't drippy and runny and deliciously raw makes me cry.

Brainwalter
02-17-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes this stuff is great. I like it with fried eggs. Scrambled too.

[/ QUOTE ]

corned beef hash served with any egg whose yolk isn't drippy and runny and deliciously raw makes me cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah good call. When I fry the eggs in the same pan I leave the yolks pretty runny. I only eat hash with scrambled eggs at Perkins, etc.

jar
02-17-2005, 12:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They serve the hash with two poached eggs and a Donut Muffin, which is a muffin fried in clarified butter and then rolled in cinnamon and sugar. It pretty much rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am familiar with the awesomeness of hash, but I've never heard of this Donut Muffin before. Any chance of finding these on the East coast? It sounds great.

scrub
02-17-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am familiar with the awesomeness of hash, but I've never heard of this Donut Muffin before. Any chance of finding these on the East coast? It sounds great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd never seen one before I went to Bette's.

The Yankee Doodle in New Haven will re-fry a glazed donut in butter for you, so you could probably work something out with them.../images/graemlins/smile.gif

scrub

beerbandit
02-17-2005, 12:24 PM
hash with eggs and toast is great

dont smell it before you cook it though it smells like some dog or cat food

cheers

scrub
02-17-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Bette's is the shiznit in the East Bay. Breakfast at Rick and Ann's by the Claremont is pretty good too. In SF it's Mama's on Washington Square (particularly if you like fresh pastries) and Ella's way out in Presidio Heights. The place by Diablo--and the ballpark--Town's End is pretty good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah. I found Rick and Anne's about the third day I was out here. It was my favorite in the area until I found Bette's. I had breakfast there on Monday, but they lack hash.

Saul's has an OK hash, but it doesn't measure up v. Bette's.

I'll have to check out the places in SF (I think I'm going to move over there in a few months).

scrub

scrub
02-17-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Corned beef hash is probably my favorite breakfast food. I can't believe my gf has never found out/told me about this place. Next time I'm in Berkeley I'm gonna find this diner.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's near all those yuppie shops on fourth street. They close at 2 in the afternoon during the week and 4 on weekends. No real wait during the week, but it's brutal on weekend mornings.

scrub

sfer
02-17-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's near all those yuppie shops on fourth street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those yuppie shops (which didn't exist my until my last year of college--before then it was just a punk club where Green Day started out) are all redeemed by the presence of Cody's.

Also, speaking of West Berkeley, have you been to Vik's Chaat? If not, thank me later.

bakku
02-17-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's near all those yuppie shops on fourth street. They close at 2 in the afternoon during the week and 4 on weekends. No real wait during the week, but it's brutal on weekend mornings.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

How far is 4th street from campus? I usually drive into Berkeley when I visit but I don't think I've ever driven past 4th street.

sfer
02-17-2005, 12:34 PM
At some point you should also go south and go to one of the many Hobee's and have a coffee cake.

bear187
02-17-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Corned beef is definitely the most highly underrated cured meat out there. The reuben is probably the best sandwich money can buy and I LIVE for St. Patrick's Day, not just for the drinking, for the corned beef and cabbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

LONG LIVE THE REUBEN!

stabn
02-17-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]fry it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be the funniest question ever /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

scrub
02-17-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

How far is 4th street from campus? I usually drive into Berkeley when I visit but I don't think I've ever driven past 4th street.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's right by the University exit off of 80.

scrub

bakku
02-17-2005, 12:53 PM
If you're ever in Cupertino stop by Bobbi's Coffee Shop, they have the best corned beef hash I've had thus far. People playing at Garden City should know where it is.

Brainwalter
02-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Haha yeah, it does smell and kind of look like dog food in the can..

xadrez
02-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Another corned beef hash lover here...

When I was in high school, and it was late at night, and I was under the influence of something that is known to make you hungry, I ordered corned beef hash, and a toasted bagel with butter. I couldnt of been good going to sleep with that in my stomach...

kyro
02-17-2005, 01:16 PM
i don't remember the last time i went to get breakfast and DIDN'T get poached eggs on hash. holy god i'm getting hard just thinking about it.

Phat Mack
02-17-2005, 01:36 PM
I think the real difference between the canned and the fresh is that it's possible to get the potatoes perfect when they're cooked from scratch. By perfect potatoes, I mean potatoes that are firm (almost tough, as though they were roasted) on the outside, and soft on the inside. Even if you cook from scratch, the potatoes can get rubbery after they've sat around for 30 minutes.

That being said, I still like the canned with eggs, loaded up with fresh ground pepper and Trappey's Red Devil Sauce.

Ulysses
02-17-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem w/ Ella's and Town's End is that their pancakes, waffles, omelettes, etc. are all so good that I never even think to order the hash. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.

The Hi-Dive (bar on Embarcadero @ Bryant) does a weekend brunch with a really good hash.