PDA

View Full Version : Not-so-small factual errors in Canseco's book

pshreck
02-17-2005, 01:11 AM
Read it here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=merron/050216)

The funniest part is the so-called conversation Canseco had with Bret Boone at second base. Sounds incredibly made up.

siccjay
02-17-2005, 02:26 AM
what a douchebag

tdarko
02-17-2005, 02:49 AM
no kidding, if you are going to go as far as writing a book at least get the facts straight /images/graemlins/mad.gif

youtalkfunny
02-17-2005, 06:55 AM
That was WAAAAAY too nit-picky to begin to determine credibility.

He pinch-hit for Cone in Game 4, but the book says Game 6? Well then hell, how can we believe anything he says? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for the Boone story, we can rule out 2001, but what about 2000 or 2002? Maybe it wasn't a spring game, but an early regular-season game. Just because the guy doesn't have perfect recall about the most minute details of things that happened 5-10 years ago--that has nothing to do with credibility.

(I'm no Conseco backer. I haven't read the book, and I don't care if the entire league was juicing up. But this piece looks like an attack on Jose, and I'm hoping that you guys are waiting for some more substantial de-bunking than this crap, before determining his cred.)

thatpfunk
02-17-2005, 07:20 AM
I find it interesting that everyone is tripping over themselves to tear down Canseco's credibility but Dave Stewart, a loner with no allegiance to anyone, who is considered to be an incredibly honest and upstanding indivual says this:

"I could never say 'Josie' is a liar," Stewart told the San Francisco Chronicle. "I don't like his work ethic, and I don't like him as a teammate. But one thing I can't say about him is he's a liar.

"As far as what Josie's saying, I can't deny it or verify it. I'm not going to pretend it didn't happen because I don't know. We weren't in the same circles, but I'd have to say he definitely knows what's going on in his circle. Nobody I associated with on the team was a steroid user [among the players Stewart mentioned: Carney Lansford, Rickey Henderson, Dave Henderson and Dennis Eckersley].

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1986479)

Also, another interesting quote from a MLBer:
"To me it was so obvious. If you're a professional athlete and if you've trained for anything, you know how hard it is to put on five pounds. It's just silly to think they'd come back and put on 40 pounds. It was so obvious to me that I'm sure they [owners and GMs] had to know." -- Dante Bichette