PDA

View Full Version : Famous first words

Perseus
02-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Well this works.

I decided today that I would like to start learning Omaha/8. To date, I have very little experience and only know the basic fundamentals of winning. In fact, I'm playing right now for only the 4-5th time in my life.

So the always great first noob question of the day is...what's the best literature out there for Omaha/8 limit and PL. Thank you to all who reply instead of snickering at my newness /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks all

TheShootah
02-17-2005, 12:04 AM
I don't know about PL, because I really don't like non-limit O8, but of course Ray Zee's book is really really good. Also, the SS2 section on O8 has some good stuff in it also. I think the book on O8 by Cappeletti has some stuff on PL though, but I haven't read my copy in a while, recognizing that Zee's book rocks the house.

Runner Runner
02-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Ray Zee's book and Cappeletti's book are great for limit O8. There aren't any books that discuss PL in detail, but you can get information here, at RGP or at Steve Badger's site, I think it's playwinningpoker.com

BradleyT
02-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Also, all of mike cap's articles on Card Player website - and Roth S(Slothenbloom or something) has articles about o/8 PLo/8 too.

Moneyline
02-17-2005, 12:40 AM
I think the first book you want to get is Super System 2. After that High Low Split Poker For Advanced Players will fill in some of the gaps (especially for tight games). If you get really interested in the game you'll also want to check out Cappelletti's book and Bill Boston's book. Those books have, IMO, some bad advice is spots, but if you're able to seperate the good from the bad they will help you quite a bit. Finally, Steve Badger's website www.playwinningpoker.com (http://www.playwinningpoker.com) has a few good articles, especially pertaining to very loose games, and the 2+2 "Other Poker" archives have a wealth of information.

lighterjobs
02-17-2005, 12:43 AM
mike cappalletti's book and all his articles on card player are great for any omaha variation. his is the only book i read and it has helped me out a lot. i learn something new everytime i read it.

benfranklin
02-17-2005, 02:46 PM
If you are completely new to the game, I would start with the O8 book by Mark Tenner and Lou Krieger. You can get an idea of what it is about by reading their articles, listed under Krieger, at cardplayer.com.

Also read the O8 stuff at Steve Badger's site. Crockpot has some good stuff at his site too. I think it's winningonlinepoker.com

FeliciaLee
02-17-2005, 03:00 PM
I think Bob Ciaffone's book: Omaha Hold'em: The Action Game might be a good one to try, as well. It is small and has tons of information which isn't really relavent to today's game (it was written when Omaha was first being played), but Bob has a way of explaining things, and showing you just how much power certain hands have over others.

IMO it doesn't compare to Zee's book, but it does cover different methods of betting in Omaha, and some general information which is very good.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

benfranklin
02-17-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Bob Ciaffone's book: Omaha Hold'em: The Action Game might be a good one to try, as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob's book is very good, but also very limited in its treatment of O8. I would not recommend it as one of the first few books a newcomer to O8 should read.

However, even though it deals mostly with Omaha high, it should be read by those who play only O8. As Cappelletti points out, you may start out playing a hand of O8, but when the flop comes 2 or 3 high cards, you suddenly find yourself in an Omaha high game. This book will give you an edge in those situations.