PDA

View Full Version : Your Best Sports Cards

housenuts
02-16-2005, 10:37 PM
What are your most valuable sports cards?

I don't know the value of mine but I have

Kirby Puckett RC
Ken Griffey Jr. RC
Peter Forsberg RC

not sure what else. they are all at my parents house. they probably aren't worth much anyways.

pshreck
02-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Forsberg as in hockey? I'm guessing anywhere from a nickel to several nickels for that one.

Voltron87
02-16-2005, 10:43 PM
I have a ticket to David Wells' perfect game (I attended the event) and the special Beanie Baby which was handed out that day.

BusterStacks
02-16-2005, 10:45 PM
David Robinson RC
Shaq RC (multi)
Ken Griffey Jr RC
Michael Jordan 3rd Season

J_V
02-16-2005, 10:46 PM
My favorite is a gaylord perry rookie, I'd have to think about what my most expensive card is. Stan Musial, 1959 maybe. Frank Robinson rookie.

thatpfunk
Jerry Rice RC
Brett Favre RC (with orignal misspelling)
Michael Irvin RC
Steve Young RC (not USFL though)
Barry Sanders RC
Joe Montana 2nd yr

have some more but can't remember...

swede123
I got into basketball card collecting just around when Shaq entered the league, so I have several of his more rare rookie cards, some of the limited edition ones that are worth around 100 bucks right now. That's about it for me.

Swede

istewart
02-16-2005, 10:47 PM
My dad has two Ryan/Koosman '68 RCs. I don't have many expensive ones personally though, a Kobe RC, a '85 Jordan Fleer in MC.

guller
02-16-2005, 11:08 PM
2 montana rc's

jdl22
02-16-2005, 11:20 PM
All rookie cards:
McGwire (Team USA)
Canseco autographed (only mentioning because of other thread)
Montana
Rice
Young (NFL)

bosoxfan
02-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Roger Clemens rc
Wade Boggs rc
Mark McGuire rc
Barry Bonds rc

I have a bunch these are the one I know for sure. I have noo idea what any of them are worth.

MEbenhoe
02-16-2005, 11:47 PM
hmmm, not having my collection on me makes this hard to answer, but off the top of my head:

Montana RC graded Mint
Barry Sanders RC also autographed
the good Brett Favre RC and that rare 2nd year card thats worth more than the rookie

I've got some other stuff thats quite good that I just cant think of right now, but the best stuff in my collection is the autographs:

Mantle, DiMaggio, Ted Williams, a bunch of Montana autographs, Jordan, Ali ummm come to think of it i have autographs of every baseball player whos hit 500 homeruns other than Ruth, Ott, and Foxx. Again lots of other good stuff I cant think of right now. Damn this thread makes me wish I had some of my stuff at college with me.

P.S. My uncle has one of the best collections I've ever seen. He happens to be one of those people who were lucky enough to keep most of the stuff when they were kids. Name a good card to have in almost any sport from the late 60s to early 90s and he likely has it. His biggest regret in his collection is that when he was a kid he claims to have had at least 20 of Ryan's RCs, but only one survived.

Paluka
02-16-2005, 11:52 PM
I have a Ryan/Koosman and a Rickey Henderson. My dad has infinite.

BWebb
02-16-2005, 11:54 PM
My best are two Bonds RC and a Moss Topps Chrome Refractor. I had a ton when I was a kid, Griffey UD RC, Thomas RC, Molitor RC, etc. But all were stolen. arsehole.

Dynasty
02-17-2005, 12:12 AM
I've got a couple Rickey Henderson rookies and about half a dozen Cal Ripken rookies (future prospects card).

I believe I had a bunch of Wayne Gretzky rookies once. Where are they now? I don't know. All my old hockey cards are gone.

wuwei
02-17-2005, 12:17 AM
I have a book filled solely with Bonds and Bonilla cards from their first 3 years in the league. No idea how much they are worth, but I bet half of them are worth a lot more than the other half.

MicroBob
02-17-2005, 12:22 AM
All of my Dad's cards are willed to me....his collection includes just about every major card from the 1950's except the rookie 52 Mantle (he has the whole 52 set except for 6 cards).

His most valuable card is a 53 rookie Willie Mays. I think it's probably valued at about $2k or so.

He has complete set from 53-57 I believe...and typically 3 or 4 of some pretty good cards (Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Ted Williams, etc etc).

My set is just all the typical stuff from between 79-86 or so. A few Roger Clemens rookie cards might be my most valuable but I really don't know.

I think I have about eleven 1981 Manny Sanguillen's....I couldn't get away from that guy.

miajag81
02-17-2005, 12:28 AM
Barry Bonds RC
Jim Palmer RC

nolanfan34
02-17-2005, 02:07 AM
As I've mentioned before whenever I get the chance, I collect unopened material, so I'm assuming/hoping I should have some good rookie cards in here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/nolanfan34/Sportscards.jpg

These are some of my favorites - 1979 Topps Grocery Trays

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/nolanfan34/79packs.jpg

These are sweet too. From top to bottom, 1984 Topps Football, 1981 Topps FB, 1979 Topps FB.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/nolanfan34/footballpacks.jpg

ddollevoet
02-17-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Brett Favre RC (with orignal misspelling)

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. How can you tell?

mcb
02-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Magic Johnson and Larry Bird RC (http://www.shop.com/amos/cc/main/catalog/pcd/4740282/prd/14561218/ccsyn/260/_x_/Ballystore-com-Topps-NBA-Larry-Bird-Magic-Johnson-Dr-J-1980-81-Rookie-Cards)

MEbenhoe
02-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Holy crap. Nice collection, and I thought mine was huge (pretty sure I have over 20,000 cards, of course mostly junk). I'd be tempted to bust some of those open if I were you.

deacsoft
02-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I used to be quite the little businessman when I was a kid. I would set up tables at card shows and sell, trade, and buy cards. After a couple years of doing that I pick the cream of the crop to keep and sold the rest. I still have about 4,000-5,000 that are worth decent to serious coin. The notables would include: Several Jordans (early and rare), 3 Montana rookie cards, an autographed Mark Maguire rookie card, several Shaq, Kobe, Kidd, Favre, Rice, Manning, Garnett, etc, etc rookie cards. I also have some old school baseball cards that include Hank Aaron and others. Man, I should really dig through those and take another look. I haven't even thought about them in a few years.

thatpfunk
02-17-2005, 11:43 AM
How do you not get the itch to open those? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think I would pull a seinfeld one day by accident and open them all /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nolanfan34
02-17-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you not get the itch to open those? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno. I'm surprised that I haven't opened much. I guess in the back of my mind I know that it would be expensive, and difficult, to replace some of the packs that I have. So they stay unopened...

For example, MEbenhoe mentioned the 2nd year Favre card that's worth more than that rookie. It's his 1992 Topps Stadium Club High Series card. I have 4 unopened packs of those. I'd love to know if there's a Favre inside....but the packs are extremely difficult to find, even on eBay, so I'm better off keeping them unopened. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Split327
02-17-2005, 12:23 PM
I was wondering if the Hockey cards will go up or down in value now that the season got cancelled,and may never be the same? What do you all think. I have probably 50 to 60 thousand Hockey cards many duplicates mainly from the the 90/92 seasons with duplicates of every rookie from these years. I think i have at least 25 Jamir Jagers rookie. I also have a few Football and Basketball cards from 90/92 also but not near as many as the Hockey cards.

nolanfan34
02-17-2005, 12:29 PM
Those years are similar to every other sport from 90-92 - there were simply so many cards produced, that regardless of the strike, etc, they're not going to ever go up in value by a large amount. There just were too many cards produced, which flooded the market.

Pro Set Hockey for example, you can probably pick up a case of 20 boxes for about $50 on eBay. Even Upper Deck from those years are only about $10 per box.

Not the answer you wanted to hear probably, but the strike isn't going to affect much.

snowbank
02-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Had Mickey Mantle's Bowman rookie card, but sold it last year. Also had a couple Jordan rookie cards, but sold those too. A few of the best I currently have are probably a Frank Thomas No Name ERROR rookie card(used to be worth $1,000, probably quite a bit less now), Allen Iverson Jersey card #1/10 in produced in the world.(also own another one of the 10 cards, so 20% of the market), 1948 Sammy Baugh rookie card, and a lot more. I probably still have around 300,000 cards, and will probably try and sell a lot of them off when I graduate, because they take up way too much room at home. If anyone's interested, let me know.

Steelers36
02-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Reggie Jackson RC (topps)

Steelers36

MEbenhoe
02-17-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Had Mickey Mantle's Bowman rookie card, but sold it last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I have a couple autographs of Mantle and as a diehard Yankees fan I will never part with those. Same if I would ever acquire any of the early Mantle cards.

offTopic
02-17-2005, 02:20 PM
I think I could hold out on everything pictured, except the '78 Topps racks at the bottom of the middle picture. That was the first set I really bought a lot of as a kid...it was probably a bad idea to keep track of game performances on the cards. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

IIRC, I'm still a few cards short of a complete (though very non-Mint) set...alas, one of those is the Molitor/Trammell. Also, the Murray RC is just slightly off-center, as in, the red stripe is almost at the edge of the card. /images/graemlins/mad.gif Anyway, Mitchell Page should have been the RoY.

WRT to the '81 T FB - there is a Montana 3 cards underneath the Dave Jennings in the left-hand pack (just kidding).

nolanfan34
02-17-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I could hold out on everything pictured, except the '78 Topps racks at the bottom of the middle picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only have one rack pack, the one you see in the pic. It has the Jack Morris RC on top, so I'm rooting for him to make the Hall eventually, probably won't happen though. I do have a handful of 28-card cello packs from 78 as well.

[ QUOTE ]
WRT to the '81 T FB - there is a Montana 3 cards underneath the Dave Jennings in the left-hand pack (just kidding).

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn man, for a split second you had me excited there! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

billyjex
02-17-2005, 02:27 PM
When I was a kid I was all into collecting baseball cards (I have some from other sports, but 90% baseball.)

It's too bad their mostly worthless now.

I have about 5-6 copies of Griffey's Upper Deck RC, which has dropped in value due to his drop off in his career but is probably still my most valuable card.

KJS
02-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Signed ticket from Len Barker's perfect game at Municipal Stadium in Cleveland, May 1981. Very rare, since the Tribe totally blew in those days and maybe 11,000 showed up. But not worth much because, well, its Len Barker. Last I checked, maybe $75.

Trivia: Blue Jays 3B that game--Danny Ainge.

KJS

tdarko
02-17-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
'85 Jordan Fleer in MC.

[/ QUOTE ]
thats my best card too, i have tons of momorabilia thats worth something though like Jordan auto jersey and auto ball. Warren Moon auto helmet, Dan Marino auto helmet but my personal favorite is a picture of Clemens and myself in Tampa during Spring Training that he auto'ed.

Split327
02-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Have you all heard of www.thepit.com (http://www.thepit.com) kindof cool running ticker of the value of your cards. Not really sure what you need to do to have them checked for quality. But worth a look.

thatpfunk
02-17-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and as a diehard Yankees fan

[/ QUOTE ]

So you like Duke and the Yankees?
Wait, wait, let me guess... You're a Cowboys and Lakers fan?

Sorry, its just too easy.

MEbenhoe
02-17-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and as a diehard Yankees fan

[/ QUOTE ]

So you like Duke and the Yankees?
Wait, wait, let me guess... You're a Cowboys and Lakers fan?

Sorry, its just too easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not at all. I actually hate both of the latter teams. The reason why I am a Yankees fan is because when I was 4 my first tball team was called the Yankees. I've liked them ever since. Plus I love the history that surrounds that organizaton. The reason I am a Duke fan is because the first march madness I ever followed was the 92 tourney. The second "The Shot" left Christian Laettner's hands I was a Duke fan for the rest of my life. Also, my dad is a slight Duke fan as well.

JaBlue
02-17-2005, 06:51 PM
These are really lame excuses to be fans of these teams.

MEbenhoe
02-17-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

excuses? they're the truth. That and over the years I've loved the teams, players, and coaches involved in each team.

That's just as good as any reason anyone could possibly give you for cheering for a team other than their hometown team.

Homer
02-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Do you eat the gum? It's awesome, it disintegrates in your mouth. Mmmm!

[ QUOTE ]
As I've mentioned before whenever I get the chance, I collect unopened material, so I'm assuming/hoping I should have some good rookie cards in here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/nolanfan34/Sportscards.jpg

These are some of my favorites - 1979 Topps Grocery Trays

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/nolanfan34/79packs.jpg

These are sweet too. From top to bottom, 1984 Topps Football, 1981 Topps FB, 1979 Topps FB.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/nolanfan34/footballpacks.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Reef
02-17-2005, 08:39 PM
holy crap, that's gotta be worth a fortune

nolanfan34
02-17-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll eat it as far back as 1987. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Haven't had the guts to either open any of the 70s stuff, or eat the gum!

My oldest pack is a 1975 Topps Hockey...so the gum is actually older than I am. I'm sure it tastes great...

Tyler Durden
02-17-2005, 08:50 PM
My favorite card is a Cal Ripken RC, 1982 Fleer.

I have the ticket from his record breaking game (I went). Hopefully it's still where I left it at the parents' house.

Slacker13
02-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Good Rookie Cards that I know I have are:
Brett Favre
Cal Ripken Jr
Steve Young

I have a lot of great inserts, a few marinos that a re valuable and some great jersey cards.

thatpfunk
02-18-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, not at all. I actually hate both of the latter teams. The reason why I am a Yankees fan is because when I was 4 my first tball team was called the Yankees. I've liked them ever since. Plus I love the history that surrounds that organizaton. The reason I am a Duke fan is because the first march madness I ever followed was the 92 tourney. The second "The Shot" left Christian Laettner's hands I was a Duke fan for the rest of my life. Also, my dad is a slight Duke fan as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, if you start liking them young, nothing much you can do. Plus, if your parents don't steer you in some sort of a direction it is natural to just pick a random team. At least when he picked the Yankees they were horrible.

Oh but how I hate those two teams.

Bigjim26
02-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Marino RC
Rice RC
Steve Young RC
Mark McGwire RC
Griffey JR and SR RC
Ripken RC
Ozzie Smith RC
Ricky Henderson RC
Sosa RC
Bonds RC
Tony Gwynn RC
Roger Clemens RC
Dave Winfield RC
and several more

Older Cards
Several Mickey Mantles, 64, 66, 58 All-star
Roger Maris 59
Jackie Robinson 53...rough condition.
54 Yogi Berra
Several other olders ones including Aaron, Ryan, Musial, Banks, Clemente, Mays, and others

I learned the secret is buying the new age crap like all the jersey cards and crap that are worth hundreds of dollars and trading for the older stuff. Most people will trade value for value. The old stuff retains its value and the new stuff goes down right away. Ebay is also a good place to hunt if your patient and careful.

Who here thinks that all this new stuff is kind of a joke? I don't really collect anymore, but it seems like everything has a jersey, bat, or whatever card. Whats next Jock strap cards?

MEbenhoe
02-18-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whats next Jock strap cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can picture it now, "I'll trade you Marino's jock strap for his rookie card" "Wow Marino's jock strap?!?! DEAL!!"

nolanfan34
02-18-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Who here thinks that all this new stuff is kind of a joke? I don't really collect anymore, but it seems like everything has a jersey, bat, or whatever card. Whats next Jock strap cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with ya, it's a joke. Back in the day, filling out a complete set by getting those last couple of common cards you need was a good feeling. Now, people practically throw the cards away if the pack doesn't have a die-cut jersey refractor autpgraphed game-used patch card in it.

Stupendous_Man
02-18-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with ya, it's a joke. Back in the day, filling out a complete set by getting those last couple of common cards you need was a good feeling. Now, people practically throw the cards away if the pack doesn't have a die-cut jersey refractor autpgraphed game-used patch card in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the main reasons I stopped collecting. I loved collecting in the mid 80's. Got out of it for a while and then picked it back up when Shaq was a rookie. Dropped back out as I didn't care for the chase card stuff, that fact that there were 2 different series of chase cards (retail and hobby), and that each manufacturer had like 3 qualities/series of cards. Too much.

Happened to be living in central FL at the time Shaq was a rookie, so it was obviously huge there! I think I have around 35 Shaq rookies from the various manufacturers. Still have a complete set of the Shaq Pepsi bottles, each with the number 32 on the bottom. At the time, McDonald's hooked up with UD and created a set of cards. In addition to the set, there were 5 regional/local "sets" you could get of just the local team. Orlando was one of those teams. So, in addition to the "regular" Shaq rookie McD'/UD, I've got the Orlando card (I think the national set used a "P" in the # and the Orlando area only started with an "O" in the #). Have no idea what it's worth though, as most price guides I've reviewed don't address the McD's set at all or if they do, they don't address the regional/local teams.

offTopic
02-18-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DNA inserts from Upper Deck...because it's the only way to know for sure. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Stupendous_Man
02-18-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you all heard of www.thepit.com (http://www.thepit.com) kindof cool running ticker of the value of your cards. Not really sure what you need to do to have them checked for quality. But worth a look.

[/ QUOTE ]

I first learned about the site like 3 years ago and thought it was pretty neat. I hadn't collected cards in years and have had my collection just sitting in their boxes/protectors/etc. A buddy told me about the site, so I checked it out. It was the first time I heard about "grading" and "PSA". Kept seeing PSA9, PSA10, etc. next to the cards and asked my buddy WTF was with the PSA crap. As I said, I hadn't been collecting in years.

Now, I have a decent size collection with some good cards in it, but I'm not willing to send them out for grading (last time I checked it was fairly expensive... seem to recall even if you sent out 100 to be graded at the same time, it was still like $5/card or something like that). I've always taken care of my cards, but never have been one to require people to wear gloves when looking at them or store them in a climate controlled room! The guys at PSA were smart and are probably making a killing (or at least were... I don't follow collecing, so I'm not sure if they're still considered "the source" or if other competition has come along), but it hurts my ability to sell the quality cards at fair prices. Seems like if you want to sell a card now, it better be graded otherwise people will only give you like 20% of the value.

Who knows, maybe some day I'll buy a current Beckett, value the collection, donate it to some charity, and then write-off the full value as a charitable contribution for taxes.

Stupendous_Man
02-18-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll eat it as far back as 1987. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Haven't had the guts to either open any of the 70s stuff, or eat the gum!

My oldest pack is a 1975 Topps Hockey...so the gum is actually older than I am. I'm sure it tastes great...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure hope you store all this in a cool dry place. I'm sure you're an intelligent guy, but I've seen people who have decided to buy boxes and store them not thinking about humidity or anything, only to later find out that the gum is now stuck to the card or cards.