PDA

View Full Version : Should we add long-time posters as moderators?

Shoe
02-16-2005, 10:14 PM
As I'm sure many of you have seen, lately there has been a large influx of brand new users, posting absolute trash/spam/made up stories.

For those of you who read the OOT forum, recently a bunch of them raided the QLC forums, and they got pwn3d faster than they could sign up. I think we should do something similar here. Maybe posters that have a good repuatation and over 5k posts or something.... allow them to delete the obvious trash threads and ban new users or something.

All removed threads would then get reviewed by the 2+2 moderators, and if anyone starts abusing their priveleges it would be revoked and/or have their account banned as well.

Thoughts?

AngryCola
02-16-2005, 10:16 PM
It won't happen, but I like the idea.

StacysMom
02-16-2005, 10:17 PM
I dont really like censorship in general, so i'm opposed to this resolution. However, i find it remarkably easy to ignore stupid threads, so its not a problem for me...

Shoe
02-16-2005, 10:18 PM
One of the reasons i like this forum is because it is not RGP. I feel we are slowly but surely moving in that direction.

AngryCola
02-16-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the reasons i like this forum is because it is not RGP. I feel we are slowly but surely moving in that direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
As do most of the older posters.

A lot of the "old posters" have the opinion that the board needs more moderation. I'm not an old poster, but that's what I've heard most people say.

Brown Thumb
02-16-2005, 10:22 PM
I love to smoke P.O.T.

Moderation is for a-holes.

AngryCola
02-16-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love to smoke P.O.T.

Moderation is for a-holes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay?

I disagree.
Especially considering this is your first day here, and you only registered to complain about a poker site.

Shoe
02-16-2005, 10:24 PM
lol, and btw, I wasn't referring to your thread Brown Thumb, I'm mainly talking about obvious spam, and made up stories like the party poker stole 40k from me and stuff like that. In fact, I hope to see you at one of my tables sometime soon.

AngryCola
02-16-2005, 10:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol, and btw, I wasn't referring to your thread Brown Thumb, I'm mainly talking about obvious spam, and made up stories like the party poker stole 40k from me and stuff like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Party stole 40k thread was actually GOOD!
It was somewhat funny and made fun of the other monster thread about pokerhost.

Brown Thumb
02-16-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol, and btw, I wasn't referring to your thread Brown Thumb, I'm mainly talking about obvious spam, and made up stories like the party poker stole 40k from me and stuff like that. In fact, I hope to see you at one of my tables sometime soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, sorry. I am paranoid right now.

Shoe
Oh ok... I avoided that one as I new it was a hoax, maybe I should go back and read it.

Shoe
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, P.O.T. does that to you.

Brown Thumb
02-16-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, P.O.T. does that to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood. I'm running low. That's what's freaking me out. I am sitting in Oklahoma City right now with nothing to do and I have one bud and one j.

I live in Oakland. I have to find someone holding. Maybe down at the hottub.

Pokeraddict
02-17-2005, 03:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is far from RGP, Mat does a great job of deleting the obvious spam and this forum has always had jokes and off topic discussion. Adding more mods wont change that. How often do you see obvious spam hang around? Probably only during mod sleeping hours.

This has come up for discussion before, it wont happen and I think most long time posters nad lurkers will agree that Mat does a great job and one thing I have learned from moderating a much smaller forum is that you cant make everyone happy no matter what.

yct
02-17-2005, 04:46 AM
i also like the idea. why don't we have the top 3 zoo mvp to be the internet forum moderators. but i doubt this will happen either...

RollaJ
02-17-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As I'm sure many of you have seen, lately there has been a large influx of brand new users, posting absolute trash/spam/made up stories.

For those of you who read the OOT forum, recently a bunch of them raided the QLC forums, and they got pwn3d faster than they could sign up. I think we should do something similar here. Maybe posters that have a good repuatation and over 5k posts or something.... allow them to delete the obvious trash threads and ban new users or something.

All removed threads would then get reviewed by the 2+2 moderators, and if anyone starts abusing their priveleges it would be revoked and/or have their account banned as well.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

This gets suggested about every 8 months, hasnt happened yet.......

Broken Glass Can
02-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Mason posted a substantial explanation of 2+2 moderation policy this morning in a NV&G thread. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1749527&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

JoshuaD
02-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Making the moderators regular guys invites trolls to screw around with them.

The reason this board isn't trolled very often is because it's no fun to troll. If you have a buncha guys who aren't getting paid moderating the forums, it suddenly becomes much, much funner for the trolls.

I like the idea of mroe moderation, but let's make sure it doesn't cause more problems then it solves.

MicroBob
02-17-2005, 12:15 PM
I really wouldn't want to be a moderator....but I think it just makes sense to allow a couple people who are regulars to moderate the really obvious stuff.

If anyone has any question on a particular post they just let it stay and notify the moderator like usual.

If they ban posts that shouldn't be banned then they get their moderator privleges removed.

How hard is that?

I'm up at 2a-7a sometimes....and you just know that the person who posts their rake-back info or their 'get $100 free at partypoker info' or their 'get a free sony vaio' info is going to have their posts stay up there for too long.

BJ21.com had others do the moderating and the posts would be removed within 15 minutes much of the time.

All that said, I don't think the problem is really that bad around here.
I just don't see 5 out of every 10 posts on every front-page saying 'get 20% rake-back at party'.
Many of the spam attempts are from people who didn't bother to read the FAQ's and weren't aware that on a privately moderated forum that their little advertising attempt would be deleted.

So....in summary....a couple additional moderators who just happen to be on here a lot?? Sure, why not?? Makes sense.

Is it mandatory because 2+2 is a super-huge mess?
No way. It really isn't that bad a problem.