PDA

View Full Version : Another Mirage 6-12 Hand

09-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Okay, so I haven't posted a trip report yet, but I too was in Vegas this weekend, playing at the Mirage. Overall I had a good trip, with the notable exception of when I played from around 2 - 3:30 a.m. Monday morning. The main lesson to learn from this, I think, I that I don't play as well when I'm really, really, really tired. Thankfully I hadn't been drinking, too!

Anyway, here's the hand in question, where I think I played like a puny little weakling on the turn and river:

Mirage 6-12, fairly tight, passive. I pick up a monster 64o in the small blind. There are three limpers, including the cutoff, a gent who has been showing down some real trash (e.g. He had recently called a preflop UTG raise with Q5o in mid-position, and won when he caught a 5 on the flop and the river to make trips). I check left. The big blind is a nice lady who has already placed a chip on her cards, but isn't holding any in her hand. She's not going to raise. Okay, for 9-1, I'll see the flop. I call. Five players, 5 SB.

Flop comes Q-6-4 rainbow. Schwing! I check, with the intention of CR-ing to narrow down the field. It gets checked around to CO, who obligingly bets. I immediately raise, BB and two limpers fold, CO calls, and we're heads-up.

Turn is the worst possible card for me. A Queen. I check. This was the big mistake, I think. A bet here probably would have looked like I had just made trips. In fact, from the small blind, this is the kind of turn card I might bluff out with regardless of what I have -- if there was no action on the flop. CO bets. Now I have to think. Like I said, he's been showing down some real garbage. Though he could have a queen. Or a six. About the only thing I can beat is a pocket pair of 5s, 3s, or 2s, or a lone 4. Unless he's flat-out bluffing. I reluctantly call, and I'm now obliged to call him down. I guess a check-raise might have worked, too, but I suspect he'd be more likely to call me down with the additional bets in the pot. I think betting out should have been my play. And I screwed it up. Alas.

River is a 7. No help. I check, he bets, I call. He shows down 68s, out-kicking me with his 8.

That was, thankfully, about the worst play I made this weekend, so I was able to come away with a nice win. But I'm still annoyed at myself for not betting the turn, and at least putting the pressure on him....

Comments?

Uston
09-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Preflop-I'd probably fold but if I'm right, I'm only right by a few cents, which is a pittance in the grand scheme of things.

Flop-Fine, although, I'd often bet out if none of my opponents looked particularly interested, especially if they're likely to take a bite off with a no pair/one overcard type hand. It worked out very well for you, though.

Turn-The check isn't your biggest mistake. The call was your biggest mistake. He could have some of those pairs you listed, but would he really bet the flop, call a raise, then bet again on the turn? Maybe, but I'm not paying $24 to find out.