PDA

View Full Version : Cruel and Unusual Punishment?

RocketManJames
02-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Been thinking about this one for some time... say we have a person who has been convicted of a serious, but non-violent, non-white collar crime. Say that this crime would typically carry a sentence of 5-15 years.

Now, instead of assigning a fixed time, you assign a 'useful' task, and the person is released as soon as that task is completed, does not matter what time it takes (this could result in an unintended life-sentence, but that's just tough). The one I thought of first was having the person transcribe via keyboard data entry, a lot (and, I mean a lot... something that would take a person that is untrained in transcription a very long time to do) of documents that would be nice to have in an electronic format. Now, over time the person is going to get better and faster at this rather boring task.

The prisoner will have great incentive to get this task done. And, in doing so, he has basically trained himself for a job as a transcriptionist.

Other tasks that will force training that will allow entrance into the workplace would work great. Now, most companies don't want to hire convicted felons, etc. So, the prisons that allow this sort of "program" will then open up shop in the various fields... in doing so, they won't be accused of 'undercutting' and unfair business practices. They'll just run a few extra side businesses which will help take burden away from the taxpayers (assume non-private prisons) by helping the financing of the prisons.

Cruel and Unusual? Just plain stupid? Worthwhile thought?

You decide.

-RMJ

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Interesting, but I'd hate to have to manage all this.

Alobar
02-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Its a good idea, but would never work in practice. First off, youd have to have people train the person to do the job, then theyd have to check his work. Thats alot of overheard.

I think a better way to use prisnoers is to put them at work creating electricity. 3 hours a day their job is to ride a stationaty bike. How many millions of people in prison are there? Thats some serious electricty that could be created. At least enough to power the prison. They should also be responsible for growing a percentage of their food.

tek
02-16-2005, 09:27 PM
You are basically describing slave labor. I'm sure you will be happy to know that is what many long sentence prisoners are engaged in. They are ahppy to do anything to get out of their cages for 8-9 hours a day.

BadBoyBenny
02-16-2005, 09:30 PM
I can figure out what's wrong with cruel, but I never understood why the founders were against unusual punishments. If I ever got in trouble for anything I would rather have some punishment that allows me to use whatever unique abilites I have to repay society.

ilya
02-16-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can figure out what's wrong with cruel, but I never understood why the founders were against unusual punishments. If I ever got in trouble for anything I would rather have some punishment that allows me to use whatever unique abilites I have to repay society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the "unusual" there has more to do with parity? Like, no one should get 10 years for appearing in public without a hat or wig when everyone else is only getting 1 year for the same crime.

As for the OP's suggestion...aren't a lot of American prisons already run by private, for-profit companies that use the prisoners for below-minimum-wage labor? Not that I necessarily have a problem with that.

Michael Davis
02-16-2005, 10:21 PM
I like this but it's very Polyanna.

-Michael

RocketManJames
02-18-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like this but it's very Polyanna.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... I think that it'd be near impossible to implement, just as others have expressed. I think it'd be neat though.

-RMJ