PDA

View Full Version : Value of Continuation Bets Early in SNGs?

yanicehand
02-16-2005, 07:22 PM
I've run into a problem a lot recently in the 10+1s and was wondering what the general consensus was. Supposing I have an AJs or AQ and give a slightly larger than standard raise preflop (about 5x the BB perhaps slightly more) and get one caller behind me. The flop misses me but is rather weak (i.e. one face, two lowers). I usually lead out here with a standard 3/4 pot size continuation bet... is this incorrect?

Also, if you are called, is it time to dump if you do not improve on 4th street? I'm thinking that although this is rather automatic in cash games (the continuation bet), in SNGs the low starting chip amount can severely cripple you if you are called, and leaves you in more of a bind if you have to think about continuing.

I apologize for the extremely general nature of this post, but I was wondering if anyone had some general advice as an answer.

TruFloridaGator
02-16-2005, 07:26 PM
At what point in the SNG, what are the blinds, who is left, how many are left... a bit more information

yanicehand
02-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Understandable.

However, my question is about EARLY in sit and gos, level one or two, still sitting with nine or ten people. My question is, when it gets to heads up on the flop, how do you proceed? Harrington on Holdem dictates a continuation bet in most circumstances, but the small chip stacks almost seem to interfere and risk too much on a nearly pot sized bet.

TruFloridaGator
02-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I always continue with it heads up. If you have position, I always do. If you don't, I may check probably some of the time early in a SNG because of the blinds & peoples' willingness to call with a lot of crap & may have hit their face card. Depends on the flop, position & the blinds.

wiggs73
02-16-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Supposing I have an AJs or AQ and give a slightly larger than standard raise preflop (about 5x the BB perhaps slightly more) and get one caller behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]
First 2 rounds, I limp with these hands, and only do so with AJ from late position. Fold to a raise. But anyway, let's say that you raise, get a caller and...

[ QUOTE ]
The flop misses me but is rather weak (i.e. one face, two lowers). I usually lead out here with a standard 3/4 pot size continuation bet... is this incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, in the first 2 rounds it is. Also, for a continuation bet, 1/2 the pot will probably do you fine. Later, you want to do this to try and pick up the pot, but you won't be able to if you lose too many chips when you often have to:

[ QUOTE ]
dump if you do not improve on 4th street

[/ QUOTE ]

The way you play these hands is fine for later rounds. Early on, your goal isn't to accumulate chips (unless you happen upon a really big hand that plays itself); you want to save your chips for later when you can pick up significant blinds with raises.

AA suited
02-17-2005, 01:17 AM
if checked to me, I usually bet 3/4 pot. 1/2 pot is not enough to keep those straight/flush drawers from folding.

if called, i check/fold if unimproved.

From what i hear, Harrington's book is not geared towards single table SnGs. you are risking too many chips by betting 3/4 pot again.

ZebraAss
02-17-2005, 05:20 AM
I like the post. It is a very important concept that I have barely started to grasp.

Early in the tournament(no matter what buy in) I rarely try to take down the pot with merely strong over cards especially with more then 3 players in the pot.

Say its level one: the blinds are raised to 75, 3 callers including BB. You are one of the callers with AQ off suit in CO.
- 235 pot. It is checked to you so you bet 130. They are folding unless they hit. So if they call you know you are done which wastes 205 of your 800 or 1000 precious chips just for a 235 pot which will pay for the blinds for the next 20 minutes or so. Now you are on the short end of things and if you don’t get any cards or great opportunities to win a big pot you will be blinded off.

- I recommend just playing your cards as they stand unless you are totally awesome and could play with your hand tied behind your back.
- But it is also a good idea to experiment and try new things out.

Wait until mid-game. Plays at the pot are most effective at 25/50 or 50/100 when you don’t risk a big portion of your chips for a good sized pot.

The Yugoslavian
02-17-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the post. It is a very important concept that I have barely started to grasp.

Early in the tournament(no matter what buy in) I rarely try to take down the pot with merely strong over cards especially with more then 3 players in the pot.

Say its level one: the blinds are raised to 75, 3 callers including BB. You are one of the callers with AQ off suit in CO.
- 235 pot. It is checked to you so you bet 130. They are folding unless they hit. So if they call you know you are done which wastes 205 of your 800 or 1000 precious chips just for a 235 pot which will pay for the blinds for the next 20 minutes or so. Now you are on the short end of things and if you don’t get any cards or great opportunities to win a big pot you will be blinded off.

- I recommend just playing your cards as they stand unless you are totally awesome and could play with your hand tied behind your back.
- But it is also a good idea to experiment and try new things out.

Wait until mid-game. Plays at the pot are most effective at 25/50 or 50/100 when you don’t risk a big portion of your chips for a good sized pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or go write your English paper!!!!!

Sheesh! You may be worse than I was in college.

Yugoslav
(I'm going to sleep now, so you're on your own, /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

unfrgvn
02-17-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Supposing I have an AJs or AQ and give a slightly larger than standard raise preflop (about 5x the BB perhaps slightly more) and get one caller behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise a little less, at the 10/15 blind level I open for 50, at the 15/30 I open for 75. I assume you are opening these pots and not raising after one or more limpers?

[ QUOTE ]

The flop misses me but is rather weak (i.e. one face, two lowers). I usually lead out here with a standard 3/4 pot size continuation bet... is this incorrect?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not incorrect. By raising less up front this bet is not as big so if you have to give the hand up later it's not as big a deal. If you have more than two callers then I think you have to check with no pair no draw. 1 or 2 callers this is my standard play.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you are called, is it time to dump if you do not improve on 4th street? I'm thinking that although this is rather automatic in cash games (the continuation bet), in SNGs the low starting chip amount can severely cripple you if you are called, and leaves you in more of a bind if you have to think about continuing.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I am called on the flop bet and do not improve on the turn, I will be hard pressed to put in another bet. As you say, I don't think the stacks are deep enough to fire two shots at a pot without something that gives you a chance to win it. All in all, making this play is a long term chip winner for me.

two_dogs
02-17-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I muck AQo to a 5xBB raise in the first two levels.Especially if there are other callers ahead of me.