PDA

View Full Version : What to do when players won't let you steal their blinds?

Karak567
02-16-2005, 07:01 PM
There was a guy in a 10 + 1 today who would call in the BB when I raised from the button no matter what he had. He hit a two pair and some other random stuff with his trash hands too and took half my stack when I hit an ace.

Do I just stop trying to buy or keep buying and hope I dominate his trash hands every time?

I buy with hands like A6, K9s, 9Ts, etc.

TruFloridaGator
02-16-2005, 07:04 PM
In an SNG, I would just slightly tighten up & only raise on a bit better hands than you were before. It's not like you can continue to do it you all of a sudden lose a lot chips, so just make sure give yourself a bit more opportunity to have the better hand. He can't outflop you everytime with crap.

SlapJack
02-16-2005, 07:08 PM
how much are you raising? Is it from the button? If I was the bb I would almost never fold to someone who raised 2x on the button. I would call with garbage and try to take it on the flop. Maybe you aren't raising enough.

morgan180
02-16-2005, 07:10 PM
steal from CO and CO+1 and take from someone who is less defensive, i know its not exactly what you are looking for, because the question sounds like how do i make this guy lay his hand down, but just make an adjustment and steal from other players, especially late i'll steal from MP and on...

KenProspero
02-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Well, if you assume that Q7 is the average hand, you have a guideline as to when you're likely to be ahead or when you're likely to be behind.

This is all highly player determinative, but if you think BB is going to call with anything, I'd at least consider going for it with Ax, Kx, Q9 or higher. Qxs (maybe down through 5, or any pocket pair.

Hands like T9s, which are more profitable with many callers than they are heads up are probably more marginal here.

spentrent
02-16-2005, 10:45 PM
What levels are we talking about? Stealing the blinds in levels 1 through 3 accomplishes nothing, so you shouldn't bother. Some might even make a case for level 4 steals being worthless...