PDA

View Full Version : Question: ATo in the BB

JackWilson
02-16-2005, 06:48 PM
How often do you throw ATo in the BB away to a raise? I just did it and it felt right but I'm not sure. Under what conditions would you throw it away?

02-16-2005, 07:04 PM
You should be throwing this hand away most of the time when facing a raise. It is dominated by all the typical raising hands, and has very little drawing potential. The only time I would consider playing this hand from the BB to a raise is if I'm defending against a steal raise, or if there was one or two very loose limpers and an aggressive raiser in late position. If this was the case, then it would be common for you to be holding the best hand preflop. You should be mucking AJo and KQo as well, unless the pot is multiway. Texas hold'em is all about position, and even a discounted price from the blinds isn't as good as it seems because of this.

Clarkmeister
02-17-2005, 01:47 AM
"Under what conditions would you throw it away? "

To anyone who has a range of hands such that ATo is screwed. Generally this means EP raises from anyone and MP raises from tight players. Play the hand against MP raises from loose players and LP raises of all sorts. 3-bet when it's an open raise from the button and you are headsup.

bisonbison
02-17-2005, 07:56 AM
How does ATo make money?
What hands will this player raise in his position?
What type of board are you hoping to see against this range of hands?