PDA

View Full Version : Which hand is a favorite preflop?

Metnut
02-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Assume a 53 card deck with one joker.
Ad As versus Kc Joker

smartalecc5
02-16-2005, 08:08 PM
I would go with AA because at most you can have KK preflop which is the dog to AA. However, you can make alot of things with a joker, like 2 pair and whatnot. Sorry for my non mathematical reasoning.

kelvin474
02-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I'll go with the king-joker. It is not close.

You are going to win most of the time that the board pairs because your opponent will need either an ace to show up (3 shots at a 2-outer) or a lucky hit on a 1-card flush/straight to CHOP! (since you have a wildcard).

In addition, any 4 to a flush is either a win or a chop for Kc Joker, and any 4 to a straight is usually a win, but most of the rest o the time a chop for the Kc / Joker (exception being a paired board including an ace and a 4-straight.

Even worse for the oppoennt is the fact that the boards not covered by the "we like it when the board pairs" rule are the ones more dense in 4-flushes and 4-straights..
I think Kc/Joker is a weapon of ass destruction against pair of Aces. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

pzhon
02-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Some time ago, the problem was posed with a 2 and a joker. The hand with a joker won so convincingly in my tests that I believe just one joker would be better than AA.

tylerdurden
02-17-2005, 01:51 AM
Wouldn't a 2 and a joker be exactly the same strength as a K and a joker? It seems like your best bet would be a 6, 7, 8 or 9 with a joker, since the AA reduces your wheel or broadway possibilites with 2-5 or T-K. Other than that, any rank is lower than A, so it doesn't really matter if you have a 2 or a K.