PDA

View Full Version : Should I try to suck out?

09-03-2002, 02:08 PM
Middle of a no-limit holdem tournament. I have 1000 and other stacks are 700-1250 except for button. I'm dealt Ah6h 2 off the button. UTG limps for 50, I limp, button with 3000+ limps, SB folds. Flop comes 3c 4s 5h. Checked to me and I bet 300. Button moves all-in. Folded to me.

I'm beat, but how bad? There's a lot of money in that pot. I guess there's a chance he's trying to just steal the pot, but I'm doubting it. He's got at least a little something, but its possible he may be semi-bluffing/bullying. I think he's got an overpair, a set, A2, A5, 56, or 67.

Question 1: Should I call? If I knew he had an overpair, A5, or 56 I'd call. But against a set or a straight, I should fold. Against what types of player do you fold and against what types do you call? I think this is a close decision, but I'm curious what sways you one way or the other. (Or if you don't think its close).

Question 2: Should I not have made the bet? Would an all-in bet or a check have been better?

Ignatius
09-03-2002, 08:54 PM
> Checked to me and I bet 300

I don't like your overbet here. There should be T225 in the pot when it gets to you and betting 30% of your stack will almost make you pot stuck and you set yourself up for a tough decision if you get played with.

> Should I call?

In a ring game, it probably wouldn't matter much, but in a tourney I think you have to fold.

> Should I not have made the bet?

You should not have bet T300, but you can make a case here for checking, betting smaller or moving in, depending on your opponent.

cu

Ignatius