PDA

View Full Version : found money

TheIrishThug
02-16-2005, 06:17 PM
if u r walking and see s coin on the ground, how much does it have to be worth for u to bend down and pick it up?

EliteNinja
02-16-2005, 06:23 PM
A penny saved is a penny earned!

I'm a cheap bastard.

Did you know that if you melted the penny down, the copper is worth more than 1 cent?

threeonefour
02-16-2005, 06:54 PM
i really doubt that since pennies are made of nickel and only coated with copper... at least that is my understanding

tdarko
02-16-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A penny saved is a penny earned!

[/ QUOTE ]
it would have to at least be a quarter to BEND down, i am a lazy bastard /images/graemlins/wink.gif

istewart
You should include "I'm Jewish" with the penny option.

And yeah, I pick up pennies.

Voltron87
That might have been true back in the day but now they use cheaper alloys.

That is why the edge of quarters are ridged, because people used to shave off the edges making it a slightly smaller circle and keeping the excess silver. So if it had a flat edge it had been shaved off and was not usable. Back in the day.

istewart
02-16-2005, 07:02 PM
wtf is up with the new nickel

TimM
02-16-2005, 07:04 PM
Never a penny. Almost always a quarter (i.e. not from the floor of Penn Station's rest rooms). The others depend on circumstance.

TheIrishThug
02-16-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf is up with the new nickel

[/ QUOTE ]

well i mean the state quarters r probly all designed, so the ppl at the mint need something to keep them busy

peachy
02-16-2005, 08:11 PM
i wouldnt even pick up a quarter, what a waste

TimM
02-16-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quarters have value greater than their monetary worth, especially in a time or place where it is difficult to get change.

They are useful for:

- Pay phones
- Parking meters
- Laundry
- Those stupid vending machines that always spit back your dollar bills, or those that perpetually have the exact change light on.

TheIrishThug
02-16-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Never a penny. Almost always a quarter (i.e. not from the floor of Penn Station's rest rooms). The others depend on circumstance.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, for experimental purposes, we should assume that the environment is not disgusting. everyones answer would shoot higher if the money was underneath a used condom or something.

TimM
02-16-2005, 08:24 PM
It also depends if I'm alone, with someone, etc. I'm not picking up change walking through a parking lot with a date, for example.

peachy
02-16-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quarters have value greater than their monetary worth, especially in a time or place where it is difficult to get change.

They are useful for:

- Pay phones
- Parking meters
- Laundry
- Those stupid vending machines that always spit back your dollar bills, or those that perpetually have the exact change light on.

[/ QUOTE ]

dont use pay phones...have a cell phone
never ever use parking meters IF there is one i never put money in it and i never get in trouble
get most of my stuff dry cleaned and if not i have a washer and a dryer
never use vendening machines...junk food makes me sick...if i use these its to get bottled water and those take Dollars!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Benholio
02-16-2005, 08:31 PM
I agree with both of Tim's replies to the word.

thatpfunk
02-16-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They are useful for:

- Pay phones
- Parking meters
- Laundry

[/ QUOTE ]

Who in the world uses pay phones now a days? This is a serious question too, I don't think I've used one for 10 years.

jakethebake
02-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Find a penny,
pick it up.
And all day long,
you'll have good luck!

Alobar
02-16-2005, 09:01 PM
I dont pick up change. Id pick up one of those dollar coins tho. I dont even use pennys anymore. When I get them as change in a store, I just fling them onto the ground when I hit the parking lot.

GuyOnTilt
02-16-2005, 09:07 PM
When I get them as change in a store, I just fling them onto the ground when I hit the parking lot.

Why not leave them on the counter in the store instead? That's what I do. NLSolider ordered In-n-Out before me the other day and did the same thing and instead of getting back a 10, 4 singles, and a ton of change back, I was able to get back a clean 10 and a 5 even. Little things like that make me happy.

GoT

BadBoyBenny
02-16-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
never ever use parking meters IF there is one i never put money in it and i never get in trouble

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where you live but a lot of cities are less lax. I know people who have gone into a store to get change for a meter and already had a ticket before they got out with their change.

PoBoy321
02-16-2005, 09:21 PM
I pick up pennies. See a penny, pick it up and all the day you'll have good luck.

And BTW, a penny made before 1974 is worth more than a penny. After that, the amount of copper needed to make a penny cost more than a cent, so they're now nickel and coated with copper.

TimM
02-16-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dont use pay phones...have a cell phone

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, but it wasn't always this way. Remember I come from a time when "dropping a dime" would actually get you through to someone.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not be from New York.

[ QUOTE ]
get most of my stuff dry cleaned and if not i have a washer and a dryer

[/ QUOTE ]

Crappy apartment here. Coin-op laundry in basement.

[ QUOTE ]
never use vendening machines...junk food makes me sick...if i use these its to get bottled water and those take Dollars!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Again you must not be from NY. Most machines here are at least 1.25 or 1.50 even for water.

PokerCat69
02-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Sometimes I'll be paying for something and pull out of a handful of change and a penny falls to the ground. My own penny, and I'll leave it.

Alobar
02-16-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When I get them as change in a store, I just fling them onto the ground when I hit the parking lot.

Why not leave them on the counter in the store instead? That's what I do. NLSolider ordered In-n-Out before me the other day and did the same thing and instead of getting back a 10, 4 singles, and a ton of change back, I was able to get back a clean 10 and a 5 even. Little things like that make me happy.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I always leave them in the penny tray, if they have one. But at places like the grocery store or best buy, its not really an option

Matty
02-16-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you know that if you melted the penny down, the copper is worth more than 1 cent?

[/ QUOTE ]Not true, but it is true that the production of a penny costs more than one cent per coin.

Would it really be so hard to round everything off to 5 cents?

Sponger15SB
02-16-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha and I thought I was the only one who throws away pennies.

My problem is that I absoutely hate having change in my wallet, so when I get home I immediately clear things out and then of course I've got no change when I go out for the stuff that costs $3.09 and then I screw myself.

Thythe
02-16-2005, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I pick up pennies. See a penny, pick it up and all the day you'll have good luck.

And BTW, a penny made before 1974 is worth more than a penny. After that, the amount of copper needed to make a penny cost more than a cent, so they're now nickel and coated with copper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Close, but not quite. The year was actually 1982. Up until and including that year, pennies were made of 95% copper and 5% zinc making them worth more than a penny technically. Today pennies are made of 97.5% zinc and 2.5% copper. Interestingly, pennies of the year 1982 included both compositions.

GuyOnTilt
02-16-2005, 09:53 PM
yeah, I always leave them in the penny tray, if they have one. But at places like the grocery store or best buy, its not really an option

I just shuffle them into a stack and leave them on the counter in a place not easy for the cashier to reach. (I guess some places train their cashiers to take any spare change and put it in the register. Lame.) Actually, I was talking about all change, not just pennies, but now that I reread your OP I see you weren't. Nevermind I guess.

GoT

Evan
02-16-2005, 09:57 PM
You live in New York?

Thythe
02-16-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Not true, but it is true that the production of a penny costs more than one cent per coin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you read the whole thread, but pennies made before and during 1982 actually are worth more than a cent melted down. This is because there copper content was higher than 1 cent. Interestingly enough, the penny is one of the most valuable coins out there even today metal wise. It is worth about .8 cents currently.

Sponger15SB
02-16-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess some places train their cashiers to take any spare change and put it in the register. Lame

[/ QUOTE ]

pffft. If you're a real good cashier you give you the wrong change (bills or change) and pocket it.

Richie Rich
02-16-2005, 09:59 PM
Those who are "unfortunate" or "down & out" could use a nickel/dime more than I. But quarters are useful for parking meters.

Sponger15SB
02-16-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you read the whole thread, but pennies made before and during 1982 actually are worth more than a cent melted down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you would be able to find a place buying pre-1982 pennies for more than 1 cent a piece.

Its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

Thythe
02-16-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Its only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played. You are right, this is pretty much all theoretical. Unless you have an easy way of melting the pennies into copper blocks you're pretty much SOL. The pennies before 1982 only have somewhere from 2-4 cents of copper value in them anyway.

youtalkfunny
02-16-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...everyones answer would shoot higher if the money was underneath a used condom or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a guy who once found a twenty in a puddle of urine in the mens room of a strip club. This was in the 60's, when a twenty was real money (and there wasn't any AIDS waiting for you in the urine puddle).

That would be a more interesting question: How big does the bill have to be to get you to exhume it from it's uriney grave?

Personally, I'm leaving the tens there, and scooping the Benny's. A twenty would be a tough call for me.

PokerCat69
02-16-2005, 10:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My problem is that I absoutely hate having change in my wallet, so when I get home I immediately clear things out and then of course I've got no change when I go out for the stuff that costs $3.09 and then I screw myself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your wallet has a little coin purse in it? Those are kiddie wallets, keep your change in your pants pocket.

Alobar
02-16-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...everyones answer would shoot higher if the money was underneath a used condom or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a guy who once found a twenty in a puddle of urine in the mens room of a strip club. This was in the 60's, when a twenty was real money (and there wasn't any AIDS waiting for you in the urine puddle).

That would be a more interesting question: How big does the bill have to be to get you to exhume it from it's uriney grave?

Personally, I'm leaving the tens there, and scooping the Benny's. A twenty would be a tough call for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

a twenty at a titty bar is worth a lap dance, so I'd have to think about it. I guess it would depend on how drunk I was. Altho the thought of giving a hot stripper a urine soaked twenty might just be funny enough to me that it would sway my decision. Id seriously be wondering tho if it was some kind of hidden camera [censored] tho, and id be on the internet fishing a $20 out of a urinal, that wouldnt be fun :/

Michael Davis
02-16-2005, 10:26 PM
You're not getting AIDS sticking your hands in urine. I'd go for $5 or higher. Ones are a joke but $5s almost pay for lunch. Plus there are sinks in the bathroom.

I'm okay with not picking up 5s, but passing up 20s is absurd.

-Michael

Voltron87
02-16-2005, 10:28 PM
For me the question is about the 10, 20s definitely, 5s no, but the 10 is truly a hard call. If I was drunk at a bar I think it would be a go.

Alobar
02-16-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I just shuffle them into a stack and leave them on the counter in a place not easy for the cashier to reach. (I guess some places train their cashiers to take any spare change and put it in the register. Lame.) Actually, I was talking about all change, not just pennies, but now that I reread your OP I see you weren't. Nevermind I guess.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

you leave ALL ure change behind? I'm not a big enough baller for that yet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used to run a register at a convience store when I was in high school. The first thing they went over was not to leave money by the register, apparently the less honest cashiers use this in some sort of scheme to keep tabs on how much they've shorted the drawer or something. So if they saw money out, they were apt to think u were ripping the store off.

TheIrishThug
02-16-2005, 10:38 PM
as for the out of a urine puddle question, i would say that i'm taking a 20 no question. as we get down to 5, i would see how long i would really have it in my possetion. yes sinks clean ur hands, but u don't really want a urine soaked bill for that long.

Evan
02-16-2005, 10:59 PM
When I am buying something that involves waiting in line (fast food, gas station, whatever) and I'm with friends we automatically hand off all of our change to the person next in line. I guess whoever is last ends up with whatever is left over, but that's really more of a curse than a blessing. Anyway, its a good habbit to get your friends into, I reccomend it.

Beerfund
02-16-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is a Benny? Is it more or less than a Benji? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

theredwave
02-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Ben Franklin, as in the guy on $100. You must not see alot of $100 bills.

scotty34
02-16-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They are useful for:

- Pay phones
- Parking meters
- Laundry

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be forgetting $1 000 000+ progressive slots.

Beerfund
02-16-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ben Franklin, as in the guy on $100. You must not see alot of $100 bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir, are retarded. Nobody calls them "Benny's". Fukc!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

scotty34
02-16-2005, 11:39 PM
2-4 cents? seriously? damn, that's the easiest way to double or even quadruple my money I've ever heard of. Screw Poker

theredwave
02-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Good comeback. I never did say people called them that, just that it was obvious to anyone with any sense that someone saying "Benny" here would be referring to Ben Franklin or in this case a $100 bill.

Beerfund
02-16-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good comeback. I never did say people called them that, just that it was obvious to anyone with any sense that someone saying "Benny" here would be referring to Ben Franklin or in this case a $100 bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

No fukcing shyt! and it should have been obvious I knew WTF he was talking about and was just making fun of the dumba$$ way he said it. FUKC! No more of your retardation tonight please. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

PoBoy321
02-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Oh, I thought it was 1974 because I had a science teacher in middle school who had us do a science project where you took a penny and made it look like it was silver. He said that we needed pennies from before 1974 because they were made of almost pure copper. I'll drop him a line and let him know he doesn't need to be so stringent. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PoBoy321
02-17-2005, 12:07 AM
Did you know that a human being, broken down to his base components, is only worth 32 cents?

theredwave
02-17-2005, 12:09 AM
Maybe sarcasm doesn't goes so well over the internet.

PoBoy321
02-17-2005, 12:11 AM
As a side note, there are times when it is correct to leave a dollar bill on the ground. I'll let others elaborate.
<font color="white"> Poo Dollar </font>

TheIrishThug
02-17-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been using "!!" with my friends for that purpose. i am aware that ppl can get excited and use multiple "!"'s, but as long as it is just established the 2 means sarcasm, we should be in business.

edtost
02-17-2005, 12:55 AM
being in the middle of that line is crucial.

also, if i'm last, i tend to just leave it on the counter, possibly taking the quarters if i can anticipate using them before having them in my pockets starts getting on my nerves.

peachy
02-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Im from Atlanta, and the machines where water is more than $1 u can just put in $2!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

but here is one reason to collect pennies /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
i remembered reading this and had to go find it...dude cashed in over $14,000 in pennies!! but i still wont stop to pick one up!!
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-11-15-penny-collector_x.htm

emonrad87
02-17-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i really doubt that since pennies are made of nickel and only coated with copper... at least that is my understanding

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. They're made of zinc and copper plated.

TimM
02-17-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You live in New York?

[/ QUOTE ]

Long Island.

But at some LIRR stations, if you want to park your car for the day you better have like 8-10 quarters on you, and a lot of times there is no way to get change.

jar
02-17-2005, 03:09 AM
Where on LI? My girlfriend lives in Huntington, so I'm in the area semi-regularly.

Michael Davis
02-17-2005, 03:14 AM
You're a balla', Evan, why don't you just take care of the meal?

-Michael

Evan
02-17-2005, 03:18 AM
Gas station snacks are on me when we meet buddy.

Michael Davis
02-17-2005, 03:20 AM
Maybe we can find an adult to buy as alcohol.

-Michael

MrFeelNothin
02-17-2005, 03:31 AM
When considering the EV of bending over to pick up a coin, one must consider the possibility that the coin has been glued to the ground. This situation can cause a lot of embarrassment especially if it was a penny that you were trying to pick up. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Personally I wouldn't go for anything less than $1. I'm lazy and I hate having change in my pocket. How do the crazy Canucks do it?

Evan
02-17-2005, 03:34 AM
Well played sir. But read turnipmonster's post in the thread about Bunky coming to NY. He pointed out that everywhere we went I ended up w/ a beer and "despite being 12 he [I] can apparently drink anywhere in the city."

EDIT: Also, I sent you a PM. Check and possibly respond.

Michael Davis
02-17-2005, 03:36 AM
I thought I responded 10 minutes ago. Did you not get it?

-Michael

Evan
02-17-2005, 03:40 AM
Ugh, my little PM envelope had Down Syndrome lately. Got it. Thanks.

peachy
02-17-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ugh, my little PM envelope had Down Syndrome lately. Got it. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think u have it mixed up with yourself!!

Evan
02-17-2005, 03:54 AM
Yea, you are right. It is me and not the small, white and red, graphical representation of a mail envelope. I am sorry for the confusion.

peachy
02-17-2005, 03:55 AM
no i think ur just blind...or too short to see that far up

Alobar
02-17-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i've been using "!!" with my friends for that purpose. i am aware that ppl can get excited and use multiple "!"'s, but as long as it is just established the 2 means sarcasm, we should be in business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you are trying hard to push this standard, but you really need to rethink it, cuz its application sucks. come up with something better than "!!" and you might be able to set a standard.

edtost
02-17-2005, 10:14 AM
i am continually amazed by the ability of people who've never met evan in person to make fun of him for being short.

you guys rock.

Bulldog
02-17-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you read the whole thread, but pennies made before and during 1982 actually are worth more than a cent melted down. This is because there copper content was higher than 1 cent. Interestingly enough, the penny is one of the most valuable coins out there even today metal wise. It is worth about .8 cents currently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you used it correctly, but does anyone else get annoyed when a price is posted as ".50 cents" or something like that? Maybe not annoyed, but I always want to grab ten of them and try to buy them for a nickel.

Bulldog
02-17-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please! Although it seems 70% of Americans disagree...

http://www.pennies.org/

tripdad
02-17-2005, 02:29 PM
the U.S. treasury has never produced a coin with the name "penny".

cheers!