PDA

View Full Version : stuck in a rut, going to try to learn limit

grouchie
02-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Currently stuck playing NL, things have not been clicking for me lately and I'm in a pain in the arse losing/breakeven streach it seems.

So, i'm going to try to learn limit.
I've got both LLH and SSH (jones and miller respectively) and have plenty bankroll to blow (learning).

My main question is how low can I play while still being able to get useful information and experience from.

Is it really reasonable to start the whole way at the bottom (.02/.04 on paradise) or do you really not learn anything there?

just curious.

thank you for your input

BusterStacks
02-16-2005, 06:04 PM
start at .5/1

J.R.
02-16-2005, 06:16 PM
fwiw the rate at which you learn will be highest if you play one table and spend a lot of time away from the table studying. there is a substitute for experience and its called the thoughts/advice of better/more experienced players.

RYL
02-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Be prepared to face more variance. NL has far much less variance (if you know the fundamentals of playing NL), due to the fact that you can protect your big hands with large bets, etc...

Sasnak
02-16-2005, 06:31 PM
This is a switch from the posters that complain about "no one respects my raises and I'm always getting sucked out! My AA never wins!" so they are moving up, or going to No Limit!

If you have the roll as you say you do, I'd start at .50/1 for a few thousand hands and see how things progress, then quickly roll through 1/2 to 2/4 as long as you're playing well.

If you hit a losing stretch move down a limit.

Best of luck to you!

grouchie
02-16-2005, 06:40 PM
I have given some minor attempts at Limit before, but couldn't hack it for various reasons, mostly related to putting in the hours to learn the game properly.

Right now, I have read through LLH and am going through SSH. I understand that the majority of people on this board recommend Millers book, but from the reading so far it seems to me that maybe I need to start out with Jone's style and when I get comfortable add in the aggression that Miller requires.

Eithor way, Limit is a new game to me and learning to play successfully I'm sure is going to be quite the pain. I'm fairly certain there will be no running through any levels. I'm approaching this strictly as a new adventure.
If I start at the .50/1 (like a couple have suggested) then I'll start with the min bankroll ($300) and only advance when I have the necessary roll for the next level and feel comfortable.

One table poker, here I come

dana33
02-16-2005, 06:49 PM
I was amused to read this because I am in the opposite situation. I have gotten a bit bored with playing .5/1 and 1/2 limit, so I have started playing PP $25 no limit just for some variety. I don't yet know what I'm doing, but I'm having fun with it so far. (And I'm reading the SS NL forum to try to learn more.)

Mike
02-16-2005, 07:07 PM
We have a lot of players here who never walked they just start running. Start out easy, ie, someone like Jones which will teach you sound fundimentals. If you play NL and do okay, you probably limp way to much and push small edges to far.

In low limit you can think of it as stud, it is sort of a trapping game. You want them in there, but you want them and yourself in at your leisure, not theirs.