PDA

View Full Version : Clarification - Unranked vs Ranked

NoChance
02-16-2005, 05:41 PM
I received a very question by private message this afternoon asking if the Maryland vs NC St. game qualified as play in this system.

Here is the situation. Maryland is ranked 22nd in the Coaches poll but unranked in the USA Today poll. NC St. opened up as a 2.5 favorite. In my opinion, most places use the USA Today fankings when listing the matchup. Therefore, at many places this matchup does not show up as Maryland being ranked. Therefore, according to how this system works, I don't feel that the extra value of having that ranking sitting next to Maryland's applies to this game.

So, I am not counting it as a system play for the Unranked vs Ranked trend. I stick to the USA Today poll for that.

Now, having said that, I DO think there is similar value in this line tonight for another reason and will probably put some money down on it. I think everyone has it fresh in their mind that Maryland just completed a sweep of Duke. That probably gives some extra value to NC St at home in a close game.

I normally put 5 units on the "Unranked vs Ranked" plays and 1 unit on all my other flyers. I will probably put 2 untis on this game tonight but it wont count as a trend play.

Covers.com (http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/ncb/schedule/ncb_game.html) usually has a list of games each day and the ranked teams (according to USA Today) are always listed at the top. This is what I use to determine if the game fits the trend.

Hopefully some of this makes sense.

NoChance
02-16-2005, 07:58 PM
This is what I played tonight:

From my friends who like NBA:
Portland +5
GS/SEA u206
Toronto -3
Charlotte +4.5

In NCAABB:
W Viginia -2
Texas A&M +6.5
Purdue +1
NC State -2.5

All are 1 unit except NC State is 2 units.

*For entertainment purposes only* /images/graemlins/cool.gif