PDA

View Full Version : Home Game Against Unknown

37offsuit
02-16-2005, 05:05 PM
9 handed .25/.50 NL home game.

One guy invited some of the 1/2 NL guys he plays with regularly online to our home game.

This was the second hand after they got there, first hand villian played, everyone bought in for $40, I had Villian slightly covered.

Villian - SB $40
Hero - UTG $42.75

Dealt to Hero: Ah Ac

Our game is very aggressive, it's very unusual for someone not to raise the limpers preflop. I'm also the tightest player in the game, so an open raise UTG will fold out all the regulars. So I limp. I can get away from this if things get multihanded/ugly.

I limp, which starts a limp fest all the way around to the Villian in the SB. He raises it to $2.50. I raise to $6 total. All fold to SB who calls the $3.50 more.

Flop:

Ad Td 4c

Villian checks and I bet $5 into about a $14 pot. I figured that was the right amount to seem a little scared of the board, maybe enduce a bluff.

He calls quickly.

Turn: 7c

He checks again. I quickly announce all in. I'm hoping he has something, maybe the case A. He calls instantly and flips over his set of T's with a big smile.

I obviously liked the results, but I think I might have played the hand too fast. He can't have top pair and a flush draw given the Ace's that are out. I doubt he calls with a lower pocket that hasn't hit a set unless he's certain I don't have an A. Not many hands he can call with...so do I look to maximize my take with a smaller bet on the turn? Check it and pray for a spade?

tbach24
02-16-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't see what hand (KQd doesn't seem too likely, but is possible) that he could have. I think that you should've bet 1/2 pot on the flop and on the turn to try and get him to play an ace or something like that. I might've even totally slowplayed this piece.

TheWorstPlayer
02-16-2005, 06:05 PM
I'm sure a resident librarian can come up with the exact quote, but there is some semi-famous quote from one of the top books which says something about (ok, so this is a very vague recollection) betting big when you hit your set of aces and there are two broadways. If they don't have anything, they won't call anything on the turn either. If they have an ace or a set they will be more likely to call an 'auto-bet' on the flop than something that looks like you are slowplaying a monster. And if they hit their gutshot with some crappy QJs, you are going to feel pain.