PDA

View Full Version : The importance of a single Ace

10-10-2001, 09:02 AM
Hello all,

I play mainly 5 player max. Recently I had a bit of a winning streak and decided to move up from my usual $1-$2 limit to give $3-$6 a go. Anyway it was really quite a shock to find that the game seems to operate on a totally different set of rules. I think the biggest change seems to be the importance of a single ace. I saw several pots won with a high card ace. Is this normal, or did I just happen to be sitting in an unusual game? If it is normal can anyone explain to me why so many players are happy to go the distance with nothing in their hand but a high card? Incidentally I won a couple of pots myself with high card ace, but only when I was up against a single caller - how many callers should it take before you decide to drop high card ace?

Many thanks

Jessica

10-10-2001, 11:20 AM
drop it against two players and only play it when you have reason to believe it may be the best hand. and if you do, try to win before the showdown, as most times it wins it knocks out a small pair. plus you shouldnt be playing too often with just an ace and another lower card unless you got in free or were stealing the blinds.

10-15-2001, 11:02 PM
at 3-6 that is still pretty unusual. not that people stick around with nothing more than an Ace, but that the board didn't hit anybody. usually in LL games (like 1-2, 3-6, 6-12 whatever) many people will see a flop and it is statistically bound to give somebody something better than A-high.