PDA

View Full Version : Is Marriage Good for you or Bad?

MelK
02-16-2005, 02:15 PM
I followed a link to this article, and found it quite interesting. It is, of course, very one-sided, but should be a good place to start on the issue.

You guys are on both sides of the issue, I'd like to hear you opinions.

Is Marriage a good thing or a bad thing for a man's entire life experience?

Why men should not marry (http://www.nomarriage.com/why_men_should_not_marry.html)

All the older guys I know, guys that are 55 and older are telling me the same story; don't do it. It just turns to crap no matter what you do. They'd rather be independent. At best it's a tedious bore. At worst a living hell with financial ruin thrown in for good measure. The problem is that when you're young, you just naturally fall into this mind set where your whole self image is based on how women regard you, and so you spend all your money and energy trying to make yourself acceptable to them. Then later in life the shine wears off and you finally realize that you've wasted yourself on a bunch of crap.

Children - "the ultimate human experience"
I couldn't even begin to list all of the older folks i know from work or through my family with kids they either don't get along with, are disappointed in, or are so distant as to not even be a factor in each other's lives.

I'm really skeptical about the idea of children as "the ultimate blessing." How many friends do you have with little or no meaningful contact or relationships with their parents?

I would wager the statistic for happy child/parent relations would be as bad, if not worse, than the marriage numbers. Who wants to deal with TWO bitter, unfulfilling relationships?!

Marriage is a sham for men. There is no benefit. If you are about to get married, think it over. Don't let your dick do your thinking for you. Don't let your punch-drunk I'm in love euphoria put you on auto-pilot. You will wake up in a hell of a hangover staring at this woman who will control your life.

click on article link above for more........

astroglide
02-16-2005, 02:26 PM
i'm never going to click 'meh' on anything because it's a [censored] gay word that nobody uses in real life

sublime
02-16-2005, 02:26 PM
'm never going to click 'meh' on anything because it's a [censored] gay word that nobody uses in real life

i think mafia bosses use it when they are not sure if they want to whack somebody.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Living with and being married to a woman can definitely be a pain in the ass at times and it does restrict your activities. It all depends on what you value in life. I think the comments you cite from the old guys and about the bad children are highly overstated. I think the problem comes from people taking marriage too lightly and not respecting it for what it's meant to be. This leads to a lot of bad marriages and people looking to get out at the first sign of trouble.

In the end, it's entirely an individual thing and it all depends on what you value. I will say, though, that it is a huge mistake to get married too young. What exactly "too young" is for each person is different, but I'd say that generally speaking, the youngest any American should get married is about 24. You don't maybe won't realize this when you're 21 or 23, but you sure as hell will once you're 25-ish.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-16-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm never going to click 'meh' on anything because it's a [censored] gay word that nobody uses in real life

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard it used quite a bit, actually.

elwoodblues
02-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Good/healthy marriages are good for people (men included.)

Bad/unhealthy marriages are bad for people (men included.)

It's not rocket science.

sublime
02-16-2005, 02:30 PM

your connected?

swede123
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. To me "meh" is the grunting sound you make when you shrug your shoulders in response to something you're undecided or indifferent on.

Swede

astroglide
and i'll bet my last nickel that it was used by a 24 year-old faggot who discovered the term online. i've dealt with thousands of people in my life, and never once have i gotten a response like that. 'want to get thai?' 'meh' people say 'eh...' a lot. 'meh' is a complete internet invention and anybody that actually says it should get punched in the face.

sublime
02-16-2005, 02:32 PM
is a complete internet invention and anybody that actually says it should get punched in the face.

astro woke up on the wrong side of the desk this morning.

nolanfan34
02-16-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and i'll bet my last nickel that it was used by a 24 year-old faggot who discovered the term online. i've dealt with thousands of people in my life, and never once have i gotten a response like that. 'want to get thai?' 'meh' people say 'eh...' a lot. 'meh' is a complete internet invention and anybody that actually says it should get punched in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how do you REALLY feel? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Regarding the OP's post, marraige is not for everyone. Elwood summed it up though, it's like anything else, good for some, bad for others. It's good for me though, and that's all I care about.

Toro
02-16-2005, 02:33 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but marriage for me has been great. I'm 55 and married 26 years. But the comment that made me laugh in your post was this one.

"If you are about to get married, think it over. Don't let your dick do your thinking for you."

If I had "let my dick do my thinking" I'd probably still be single, lol.

Shajen
02-16-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on astro, let us know how you really feel. Don't hold back.

WRT the poll, PDPG pretty much nailed it.

At 21 I wasn't ready to be married. At 28 I was.

YMMV.

adios
02-16-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't have said it better myself /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

MelK
02-16-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So has your dick suffered for your getting married?

Toro
02-16-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as much as I would like. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-16-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait. I'm not sure what that means.

benfranklin
02-16-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminds me of an old joke: God gave men two heads, but only enough blood to use one of them at a time.

Toro
02-16-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait. I'm not sure what that means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well let me explain it by relating a story. In my early 20's, first job out of college, there was this nice woman in her late 50's who was one of the Secretarys.

One day she says this: If you put a penny in a jar every time you have sex the first year you are married and then after that take a penny out every time you have sex for the rest of your life, you'll never empty the jar.

I thought to myself when she was telling that story that this woman is clueless. Now . . . . well, I'm thinking she wasn't too far off. LOL

MelK
02-16-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you put a penny in a jar every time you have sex the first year you are married and then after that take a penny out every time you have sex for the rest of your life, you'll never empty the jar.

I thought to myself when she was telling that story that this woman is clueless. Now . . . . well, I'm thinking she wasn't too far off. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, with testimony like that, it is amazing that no one has voted for bad yet.