PDA

View Full Version : Brier, What do you think?

09-03-2002, 09:39 AM
I was recently invloved in a game that I would like to get an opinion on. It was a 10-20 Hold'em game. The hand in question had 4 players, Player A (a weak player who sometimes overbets his hand), Player B ( a good player, very aggressive who always has an unknow holding), Player C (very tight, weak and also intimidated), Player D ( a good player, tight but aggresive). Pre-flop all Players called and Player D raised... all 3 players called. The Flop came Ad-Kh-Jd, Player A checked, Player B bet, Player C (holding JJ) raised, Player D re-raised, Player A (capped the betting), Player B called... what should Player C have done? Is it an automatic call...? He folded!!!

Rick Nebiolo
09-03-2002, 12:32 PM
I’m no Jim Brier but I know Jim Brier so I’ll answer.

The only player likely to have a bigger set (with AA or KK) is player D since he put in the only pre flop raise. On the flop Player D reraised when others may have done the re-raising for him. I would think that if he held a big set he cold calls the flop action (hoping it gets re-raised by player B) and pops it on the turn (unless a four card straight shows up and there is action to him). He also might be against a straight but he has odds to draw out. It is more likely he is up against two pair and a draw.

IMO it's an easy call. This guy sounds like he is afraid of his own shadow.

Regards,

Rick

Michael Davis
09-03-2002, 03:04 PM
Rick,

What about the combined chance that he is up against a higher set plus the chance he is drawing near dead by being up against one AK and one QT? I think JJ is in real trouble here.

Mike

Clarkmeister
09-04-2002, 04:11 AM
What about the chance that the initial post is a joke?

09-04-2002, 09:08 AM
0% Chance... I wrote the post so I know. A friend of mine who plays (and was Player D) likes Jim's book (Middle Limit Hold'em) and likes his style of play. He is often interested in what Jim's opinion would be on different situations. I thought I would find out and let him know Jim's answer. No joke!