PDA

View Full Version : KK smooth called a preflop raise in the SB

fireitup123
02-16-2005, 01:04 PM
5/10 NL

There is one limper. The button opens for 40.00. I am in the SB with Ks Kd. Most of the time I would reraise but this time I decided to call and evaluate the flop. The BB also called.

I had not played with the Preflop raiser before. I was familiar with the other 2 players and was confident I could get away from the hand if one of those 2 players had me beat.

Chip counts:
a. 1,100 - 1st caller in MP –– Solid, Straightforward
b. 1,300 - Preflop Raiser (button) - Unknown Style
c. 900 - Me SB – Solid Tricky Aggressive
d. 1,000 BB – Straightforward, Conservative

Flop – 5d 4d 8c

It is checked around to the button. He bets 70. I raise to 200 from the SB. It’s folded back to the preflop raiser, who calls.

Turn 9h.

I lead out for 300. I wanted to give the other player enough doubt by the small bet as to whether or not I had a big hand or a marginal hand (or a draw).

Comments?

Voltron87
02-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Against 3 opponents from the SB this is a reraise PF for so many reasons.

fireitup123
02-16-2005, 01:22 PM
"Against 3 opponents from the SB this is a reraise PF for so many reasons."

I normally do reraise in this situation (as I said in the original post).

I take this to say that you are saying that it's never a good play to smooth call, even as a way to mix your play up.

The other thing I wanted to note was that when I called I expected the BB to likely fold. It looked more likely it would be a 3 way pot. Regardless, comments on the post-flop play, and more on the preflop play welcome.

Thanks for the feedback.

fsuplayer
02-16-2005, 01:44 PM
preflop, i like the smoothcall with AA-KK much much better on the button, or in the BB if its HU.

in the SB, i hate to play the hand out of position while having to guess two players hands.

aggie
02-16-2005, 02:10 PM
ALWAYS reraise with this pre-flop in this spot...Vary you play by adding additional hands to reraise with from time to time (although i don't reccomend 2-7)...Playing KK out of position in 4-way action (or 3-way) is typically a nightmare.