PDA

View Full Version : Overbetting the pot

otter
02-16-2005, 12:04 PM
$5-5 NL.

I read a few posts about this and it has been working very well the last two plays:

I'm in the BB w/ 8,8 and the flop is A,8,9-all spades. I bet $35 (pot) and get called by a loose player that just posted. I figure he's on a flush draw. The turn is a blank and I bet $95. He calls and now I think he might have a flush. The river is an 8. I think for a little bit and then move all in for $450. He calls w/ a 10 high flush (which he flopped). Normally I'd bet a couple hundred, or maybe $150 and try to squeeze some more money out of him, but I decided to do the opposite and see how it worked-not bad at all!

I'm in late w/ Ad,4d. It's straddled and there are 5 callers to me and I call. The button makes it $40 and there are 2 callers. I also call. The flop is 2,3,5 rainbow. I bet $100 hoping to get raised-no luck-two callers. The turn is a J putting a flush draw out there. I have about $700 left. Normally I'd bet about $200-$400 and then I'd bet the river. Again I tried the "big bet" which was kind of out of line with my last bet and it worked like a charm. I announced "all in" and they BOTH called. EP1 only had about $300 left, but the raiser had me covered. EP turned over K,K and the raiser had Q,Q-Scoop it up!!

LuvDemNutz
02-16-2005, 12:15 PM
1st hand - I like it - often times people will put you on a missed draw when you overbet all-in. Opponent probably put you on naked As.

2nd hand - I like it - but EP blew it by not reraising his KK preflop.

Cornell Fiji
02-16-2005, 05:22 PM
As I have described in previous posts this is an extremely effective play in these lower/mid stakes NL games.

While many people value bet to try to get the most money they can out of every pot they are in their mindset is flawed because an overbet will make more money in the long run. Plus it has many other advantages in the metagame.

I would have played both hands the exact same way. Well done.

gomberg
02-16-2005, 06:33 PM
I am also very fond of playing this way. I've noticed at 5-10 though it's a little less effective than it used to be for me. To adjust, I've been making some semibluffs the same way, but just once in a while.

Ulysses
02-16-2005, 06:47 PM
First one I like, second I don't. IMO, given the action up to that point and pot size, you're much more likely to get the money in in two chunks.

creedofhubris
02-17-2005, 09:10 AM
1st hand goooooooood.

2nd hand, you're worried about runner-runner flush? You don't want to lose these guys. Diablo's right (as usual), your plan should be bet turn, all-in river.

sisyphus
02-17-2005, 11:24 AM
does no one have a problem with the hero seeing a raise of 40?? pre flop, seems an awful lot relative to the blind

Usagi_yo
02-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Overbetting the pot works until your opponants start to get lines on your play. Then you start to get payed off less.

youngin20
02-17-2005, 03:03 PM
read the post again. he cant have the A of spades cause the flop was A89 all spades. DONK

otter
02-18-2005, 03:43 AM
x

Deftoner
02-18-2005, 04:27 AM
Replace As with Ks. Concept and meaning still the same. Opponents misread the bet as weakness.