PDA

View Full Version : Cross post from HUSH: feeling obliged to call down

TwoShedsJackson
02-16-2005, 11:56 AM
I was on a ridiculous run of hands (AA twice, QQ twice, AQo 3 times, TT, KTs all within 50-odd hands) and people at the table seemed to be getting upset /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Villain here was 70/0/0.6 over 90 hands, really passive, I hadn't seen him raise without somethiung that beat top pair at the very least.

On the turn I was positive he had a 4 when he had 3-bet, yet I keep hearing a voice going 'it's two more BB in a decent pot, maybe he only has a 6.' Not to mention the old 'if you never fold an AA overpair headsup you'll rarely be wrong'.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
1 fold, Hero raises, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif (4 players)
SB bets, BB folds, Hero raises, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players)
SB bets, Hero raises, SB 3-bets, Hero calls.

River: (12 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)
SB bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

At the end he duly showed 54s and took the pot. Now, I was sure he had a 4 when he 3bet the turn yet I felt obliged to call down in case he was trying to steal 'my' pot - how do you get over this and play more based on reads?

In my older weak-tight days I regularly folded in situations like this only to see a 6 or some other two pair type hand that I had beaten, now I find it harder to identify the right spots for aggression and when to recognise real strength based on a read and make a proper fold.

jskills
02-16-2005, 12:15 PM
I think you played this perfectly fine.

You have to call his turn raise and call down the river. Even if your gut tells you something differently, limit poker is somewhat formulaic and the formula here is to call it down.

The mistake of folding the best hand is far worse than that of losing 2 bets right?

shejk
02-16-2005, 01:51 PM
Besides, you had two outs.