PDA

View Full Version : Call the river?

Irishboy
02-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. UTG+1 posts a blind of $15.
UTG calls, UTG+1 (poster) checks, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (14.66 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, UTG folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (15.33 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (27.33 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 31.33 BB

Preflop - do you raise the 2 limpers?

River - Although I was 95% sure I was against a straight, called the river because the pot was huge. Standard?

SinCityGuy
02-16-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop - do you raise the 2 limpers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not normally, but since UTG+1 made an early position post and checked, I would raise.

DeezNutz3
02-16-2005, 12:02 PM
I think you're against a set more often than a straight.

amulet
02-16-2005, 12:05 PM
i think when it is raised behind you preflop you know that unless you get a great flop that you are out of position and probably dominated, so you are almost always folding on the flop. as i have stated here before KTo is trash, KTs is only slightly better. to raise a late posting blind as the first one in is good, but here you have the poster and a early limper who probably limped with a better hand, if he is a good player, AND you still have most of the table yet to act, therefore, i fold this preflop.

on the flop, you have overcards and a backdoor flush vs 5 opponents, one of who was the preflop raiser and someone who called 2 bets cold, plus the raiser and opponent who called 2 bets cold have position on you. you miss the flop, it is raised by the co, check raised my another player and you and you 3 bet? this is not a 3 bet, it is "what am i doing in this pot" time. a player who check raises several opponents is not bluffing. if you choose to play on, unless the turn in a diamond, your folding. so the T flops, but given all the action, a preflop raiser, a check raise by an opponent postflop, you are rarely best, and it will cost you more on the expensive streets vs 2 opponents who like their hands. to get taken for 4 bets in a fold situation is a mistake, you need to get out. sorry if i am being blunt.

Irishboy
02-16-2005, 12:08 PM
I flopped a flush draw, not a backdoor. I was raising for value since I had several callers.

steveyz
02-16-2005, 12:11 PM
I'd fold the river here. I think you are behind 99% of the time here probably to a made a straight and two pair or a set.

Irishboy
02-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Yeah, making the third overcall with a top pair seemed ludicrous considering all the action.

I just looked down and saw a $900 pot and said "f*ck it", it's worth $30 to see if this guy was pumping a missed draw.

It's not exactly the fur-coat dilemma with all the overcalls but I was thinking along those lines.

imported_stealthcow
02-16-2005, 12:17 PM
i dont like the flop cap here, but curious if otehrs like it

stealthcow-

Rico Suave
02-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Irishboy:

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (14.66 SB) 5, 4, 3 (6 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO bets, Button calls, UTG folds, Hero calls,

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you were going for a c/r on the flop, expecting MP2(pfr)to bet. But when he did not and there was only a bettor and one caller to you, you decide to just call to keep others in. I think you should have gone ahead and raised anyway--the pot is large, forcing out other overcards (pfr) can increase the chance of your winning the pot,and if they all call, that is ok too.

--Rico

amulet
02-16-2005, 12:20 PM
sorry, you are correct. i still think the preflop call was a mistake, and on the turn you fold. as for raising for value, yes your getting good odds, but i prefer to do it with the nut flush draw. when the check raiser raiser several opponents i am concered more about a set then a str8, and he could fill up. but i see why you played on once the flop came. sorry again for my misread.

Irishboy
02-16-2005, 12:23 PM
You people really fold KTs after 2 limpers pre-flop?

Jeez, I'm a 16% VP$IP guy and that seems tight. I've talked to pros who limp KTs from any position in most games.

SinCityGuy
02-16-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You people really fold KTs after 2 limpers pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case, it's not two actual limpers. We have one idiot who posted an early position blind, and he's indicated that he doesn't like his hand very much. This is an easy raise for me, and I'm just a typical weak/tight Vegas moron.

Gabe
02-16-2005, 01:05 PM
You are my favorite poster.

amulet
02-16-2005, 02:14 PM
yes i fold KTs early. you are often dominated.

as for the rest of my second respnse i again apologize, i seem to have brain lock on your flush draw, i do not fold it on the turn.

jgorham
02-16-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and on the turn you fold

[/ QUOTE ]

I think folding this hand preflop is stupid, but that isn't a huge leak in your game. But folding a flush draw in a HUGE pot on the turn most certainly is.

Irishboy
02-16-2005, 08:15 PM
MP2 has A2o for the flopped straight.

amulet
02-16-2005, 09:36 PM
as my last post said, i mis-read the flush draw, and do not fold it.

JRegs
02-16-2005, 10:14 PM
A2o? Weak.