PDA

View Full Version : Orleans No-limit (Hand 4): The hand that broke me

Dynasty
09-03-2002, 05:34 AM
This is the fourth of four hands from my first no-limit tournament.

The blinds are T700 and T1,500. The antes are T300. There are just 13 players left on two tables in a tournament which started with about 130 players. My table has 6 players which puts T4,000 in the pot pre-flop. I've got T10,200 after posting my big blind. My stack size is poor. The small blind has T9,000. Another player has a little more than half that. The other three players look like the have at least T20,000. I don't know what the players at the other table have. The tournament pays $180 for 10th place. 1st place will be between $1,800 and $2,000. Nothing is paid for 11th and below.

It gets folded to the small blind who pushes all-in for T9,000. Calling and losing will leave me with T1,200 with my T700 small blind and T300 ante coming on the next hand. Winning the hand will double me up and "ensure" me of prize money and probably a decent placing in the tournament.

The small blind appears to be an experienced tournament player. I think he will push in with a wide range of hands due to the size of the pre-flop pot.

I've got QcJd and called.

I'm sure you can tell by the title that I lost this hand. I was dominated by KJo and was in real trouble on the K,Q,4 flop.

I actually survived my small blind with 98o when I hit a runner-runner straight. However, I open-raised all-in on the following button hand with trash and got called by the Big Blinds QJo and lost to top pair.

I finished 13th out of about 130 players.

ohkanada
09-03-2002, 10:08 AM
Congrats on a high finish. Too bad you missed the money.

I would fold QJ. As with the 55 hand, I would rather be the initial raiser with this type of hand. Now if the SB had 3k or 4k less then I call.

Ken Poklitar