PDA

View Full Version : Responding to the A-holes

Predator314
02-16-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm not one to do much trash talking at the poker table. I spent my adolescent days hustling pool halls and fighting my way out the door many nights. I learned one thing during those times. Getting punched in the face hurts. Also, punching someone in the face hurts. Fighting just plain hurts.

So, I'm the quiet guy at the poker table. I don't want to scare off the fish. I play my game and keep to myself. Soemtimes I will chat it up with a friend if he's sitting beside me.

So I'm at a live tournament this past Saturday. It's a monthly no limit tournament at a fraternal lodge. I'd say the average age in this tournament is around 60 years old. I'm 27. The tournament is pretty much a limp fest. I'm not very well liked because I don't limp much. Here's one hand where I did limp:

I'm on the button with TJs. There are 2 limpers in front of me, so I limp as well. Small blind calls, big blind checks. 5 of us see a flop of:

10,J,x

The two blinds check, first limper bets, 2nd limper folds, I raise it making him commit about 3/4 of his stack if he wants to play. The two blinds fold. The initial better immediately pushes all in. I had to call at this point. He flips over pocket Aces and the turn nor river helped him. The guy was out and this was the 3rd time in the past 4 tournaments I've eliminated this guy.

That was the last hand before the 2nd break. During the break, he comes up to me belly aching about the bad beat he just took from me. I try to ignore him and eat my sandwich, but he kept going on and on and on. Finally, I just said "Listen, had you raised before the flop, I would have never been in that hand". He said "I wanted action on those aces!". I said "well, you got it, now go eat your $150 sandwich you just paid for". I walked off. The dude was really steaming. Sometimes it just feels good get that crap off your chest.

Any of you all have a good way of responding to these jerks? Especially in a live game.

zuluking
02-16-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
now go eat your $150 sandwich you just paid for

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.

btw, learn karate.

VBM
02-16-2005, 12:27 PM
the way you tell it, it sounded like he was looking for some sympathy and you were the one with the quippy repartee. you were there and i wasn't so i don't know the circumstances; for me, i just generally try to be polite and gracious winning and losing.

bear187
02-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Next time that happens, stand up and yell "DAAAAHHHHHH" after the hand is done.

swede123
02-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Better yet, whip out your balls and slap him in the face with'em, chanting "THE NUTS!!!!" (helps if your hand actually is the nuts but oh well...)

Swede

Predator314
02-16-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the way you tell it, it sounded like he was looking for some sympathy and you were the one with the quippy repartee. you were there and i wasn't so i don't know the circumstances; for me, i just generally try to be polite and gracious winning and losing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, he was a real prick. I tried ignoring him and even offered up the "tough beat" line, but he wouldn't let it go.

Predator314
02-16-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
now go eat your $150 sandwich you just paid for

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic.

btw, learn karate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in the pool husting days, I learned the art of the beer bottle throw and the pool cue swing as you run for the door. Of course in a poker tournament, there are no pool cues, so I think I would have to resort to the Jerry Springer chair toss. Maybe I can throw in a little "WOOO-Cha!" and people will think I know karate.

reddred
02-16-2005, 01:51 PM
You handled it exactly how you should....and your 100% right, if he had raised , you probably would have folded, and he would have won the hand. Poker 101 says never slow play aces, so he has no one to blame but himself. I'm just surprised his belly aching bothered you enough to write about it......I've had MUCH worse bad beats than that. If this guy doesn't know how to play aces, then it wouldn't have been long b4 someone else did him the honor of knocking him out of the tournament. But you handled it correctly, and I personally wouldn't have said any more or any less in your situation.

jaxUp
02-16-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I said "well, you got it, now go eat your $150 sandwich you just paid for".

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have probably added a "BIATCH" to the end if the guy is a dick. Other than that, nh.

Monty Cantsin
02-16-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You handled it exactly how you should...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I always like to explain my opponents' mistakes to them.

/mc

Predator314
02-16-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You handled it exactly how you should...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I always like to explain my opponents' mistakes to them.

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

This was probably a 70 year old man. He would have forgot the explanation before he took the first bite of that sandwich.

PhatPots
02-16-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well, you got it, now go eat your $150 sandwich you just paid for"

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO! That is funny shiat. I think you handled it well. Don't let him bully you. Another way of dealing with it might have been a more passive way, but your method is a lot funnier.

Cheers,
Pots

Petro
02-17-2005, 07:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd say the average age in this tournament is around 60 years old. ... The tournament is pretty much a limp fest.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true on so many different levels.

Sorry.

gr8vertical
02-17-2005, 07:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time that happens, stand up and yell "DAAAAHHHHHH" after the hand is done.

[/ QUOTE ]
i have to admit i laughed at this ( a lot ) as the old WSOP episodes replayed in my head /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Evan
02-17-2005, 07:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Any of you all have a good way of responding to these jerks?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ask him to play heads up 10/20 on Party.....wait, no don't do that.