PDA

View Full Version : I have Super System 2, should I get SS1 too?

The Bloke
02-16-2005, 06:51 AM
I had originally been under the impression that SS2 superseded SS1, and that SS1 was rather outdated.

But the introduction to SS2 states that the two stand "side by side" and complement each other.

It strikes me that this is probably bull and just written in an attempt to get those who bought SS2 to also buy SS1!

But is there any truth in it?

Thanks

Tom

Rudbaeck
02-16-2005, 08:04 AM
No.

The Bloke
02-16-2005, 08:12 AM
Thanks

yeltzen
02-16-2005, 10:51 AM
You should not be buying any books that don't have the 2+2 logo on them. How dare you.

KenProspero
02-16-2005, 12:07 PM
I've been exploring in a different thread how good SS2 is.

My views on the book.

SS1 was one of the first excellent books to treat Poker seriously. The fact that it was commercially successful to a certain extent responsible for most of the great books we see today.

When it came out, EVERY serious poker player read this book, it was a must read.

Since SS1 came out, a number of things have happened.

Firstly, some of the rules of Poker have changed (e.g., the now predominant 2 blind structure in hold 'em). Also, common wisdom has changed. In short, while still a good standard text, parts of SS1 became outdated.

This required the updating for SS2.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, you have to consider the kind of books SS1 and SS2 are. Essentially, they're survey books that try to give you information about many games. If you expect to try lots of games, and want some information about whatever you're likely to play, books like this are great.

However, if you think you're going to start with one game, e.g., limit hold em, and expect to start out with one or two books, you can probably find a book that covers the material in more depth for the game you want to play.

Rudbaeck
02-16-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should not be buying any books that don't have the 2+2 logo on them. How dare you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Off course he should. I can give a long list of non 2+2 books that most forum regulars will agree are required reading. SS1 is not one of them.

cbragado
02-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Well Super System 1 has an excellent section on 7 Card Stud, where the structure has not changed. Of all sections, only 7 Card Stud is not outdated, IMHO. Maybe Doyle thought the 7 Card Stud section in SS1 did not have to be updated.

BradleyT
02-16-2005, 02:50 PM
I would say don't bother.

sammy_g
02-16-2005, 05:38 PM
As already mentioned in this thread, the stud section in SS1 is very good. The other sections are outdated or for games that no one plays anymore.

If you play stud and are willing to buy a book for just one of its chapters, you should consider it.

For what it's worth, I bought SS2 primarily for the triple draw chapter.