PDA

View Full Version : cooking steaks

Joe826
02-16-2005, 05:06 AM
uhh. is there a good way to do this? i eat them pretty often but i haven't the slighest idea on how to cook them properly. usually i just through them on the foreman and wait till they're done. sometimes i'll put some random spices on them. anyways i'm getting tired of that. how do you go about making an easy marinate, and what's the best way to cook these? i really only have access to a stove and the GFG.

also i have worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and some garlic stuff. could i mix these together and make something reasonable?

MelchyBeau
02-16-2005, 05:08 AM
marinate them in beer

melch

nothumb
02-16-2005, 05:12 AM
Marinate in soy sauce with a little sugar is my favorite way. Pan sear with garlic, onion.

NT

Joe826
02-16-2005, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Marinate in soy sauce with a little sugar is my favorite way. Pan sear with garlic, onion.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

just plain soy sauce and sugar huh? that's easy enough. how long do you marinate it, and what exactly is pan sear, just turn the heat on high and throw them on there?

nothumb
02-16-2005, 05:23 AM
I just let them sit in the fridge for a few hours with the soy sauce, sugar is really optional and if you use it use ONLY A LITTLE BIT.

Pan seared usually means the steak is cooked at a high temperature and the outside gets crispy fast while the inside stays relatively uncooked. If you prefer a more medium or evenly cooked steak you can do it on a lower temperature or even cover the pan.

You really need very little to oil the pan, if anything. Don't put in more soy sauce as it will just burn off. A little butter is fine.

Most important thing about steak is to have some good stuff with it. Creamy garlic mashed potatoes are the nuts. After boiling and mashing the potatoes, put them in an open pot on low heat and mix in cream and butter gradually. I like to whip them until you can mix a regular tablespoon through 1.5 pounds of mashed potatoes without moving the pot, leaving waves.

NT

jason_t
02-16-2005, 05:27 AM
Marinate in teriyaki and grill.

nothumb
02-16-2005, 05:34 AM
Something else fun to try is making your own barbecue sauce. I make a tomato based barbecue sauce - you'll need tomato paste, molasses, salt, vinegar, and some spices/flavors. I have never measured mine and each batch is different, or I would give you recipes. However I usually use some pretty simple stuff, i.e. chili powder, pearl onions, garlic, peppers of some variety, honey, lemon and/or lime juice, salt, pepper, et al.

It's really a lot, lot easier than you might think and it's really cool to serve/use your own BBQ. Just make in small batches as it's hard to keep. The best part is, you can just keep adding as need be until you like it.

NT

Kenrick
02-16-2005, 05:49 AM
I learned that anyone who uses soy sauce on a steak is looked down upon by upper classes of society. I say that having grown up putting soy sauce on my steak.

Want a great steak, or for that matter any meat, even if it's been frozen? Throw that George Foreman grill in the garbage where it belongs and get a convection oven. Can get a cheap one for like 30 bucks. Makes frozen pizza taste fresh. I'm tellin' ya. Makes cheapie steak so juicy that you have to drain it before you eat it. Add salt and pepper for taste. Don't overcook. If there's not some red to it, you've gone too far. Toss a bunch of sauteed mushrooms on top and you are good to go.

Shajen
02-16-2005, 09:21 AM
1) buy a grill (one of those cheapie round Weber grills works just fine. Charcoal, not gas)

2) marinating depends on the cut of meat. If it is a tougher cut, you will want to add some sort of acid (lemon juice, coke, etc) to your marinade. Marinades should be simple but good. I cooked a few strip steaks the other night that turned out phenomenally. (It was more of a rub, though, than a marinade) Garlic salt, pepper, oregano, and greek seasoning, left on for about an hour before grilling.

3) get your grill nice and hot. The coals should just about all be ashy white. (usually takes about 15-30 minutes)

4) slap the steaks on the grill, and leave them alone for about 4.5-5 minutes. Flip once. Leave them alone for another 4.5-5 minutes. Grab a plate and pull them off the heat.

5) let the meat "rest" for at least 5 minutes.

6) pig out.

Seriously, get a grill. Grilling steaks on a Foreman outta be outlawed. (I know you don't have much choice)

elwoodblues
02-16-2005, 09:55 AM
This is the correct answer.

Generally, for steaks I prefer rubs to marinades. Marinades are okay for some cuts of meat, but for a strip steak or a filet, not need.

If you like some spice to it, find a recipe for (or buy) a cajun spice and rub it on the meat.

Also, for pan searing you can finish it off in the oven (450 degrees) after getting a nice crust on it. Basically a really hot skillet, sear the steaks on both sides (about 2-3 minutes per side) then finish in the oven -- 8 minutes for medium (adjust time up or down depending on how you like it done.)

Also, kosher salt works better on steaks than table salt.

theantelope
02-16-2005, 09:56 AM
By GFG, do you mean GFLMGM?

2planka
02-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Simple base for DIY BBQ sauce: Coke & Ketchup. 1 part coke to three parts ketchup. add whatever you like (garlic, tabasco, habeneros, honey, chocolate, beer, bourbon, etc....). A very simple starter for your own "special sauce."

Shajen
02-16-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Simple base for DIY BBQ sauce: Coke & Ketchup. 1 part coke to three parts ketchup. add whatever you like (garlic, tabasco, habeneros, honey, chocolate, beer, bourbon, etc....). A very simple starter for your own "special sauce."

[/ QUOTE ]

My base is 3 parts ketchup, 2 parts mustard, 1 part coke with salt, garlic (usually minced, but sometimes garlic salt), and pepper with various other spices thrown in depending upon who's eating the steak.

A lot of pros seem to think adding salt to your marinade dries out the meat. I've never really had this problem, maybe they are a lot more picky than I am.

JPinAZ
02-16-2005, 11:02 AM
If you live in an apartment or someplace that you can't have a grill, you can use a cast iron skillet. Just follow this recipe & you won't go wrong.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_99,00.html

Fishwhenican
02-16-2005, 12:18 PM
1: Go to woods
2: Bust ass finding ELK
3: Shoot Elk
4: Bust ass getting elk 2 miles out of woods.
5: Take elk to game processor who cuts it up into steaks and burger!
6: Thaw out elk steaks
7: fire up gas grill and throw elk steaks on grill
8: Sprinkle a little Lawreys Seasoned salt on them as you cook them.
9: Cook on each side for 4 or 5 minutes until Medium rare
10: Slap on plate and start eating!

If you want a really easy marinade try this:
Soy Sauce - Main Ingredient so plenty of it
Couple of shots of Whoostischistishire sauce (I have NO idea how to spell that)
Garlic powder
Olive Oil
A bay leaf
A little bit of Liquid smoke if you have it, if not that's OK too.
Mix all this stuff in a good heavy duty gallon size ziplock freezer bag and throw your meat in there with it.
Marinate it for awhile, some like it to be 1/2 hour some like it over night.
I have pan fried venison steaks marinated like this and they were great. I have also thrown them on a grill and cooked them that way and they are even better!
This is also a great marinade if you want to make your own jerky! Just leave out the oil and it is more important to have the liquid smoke in there! Cut meat into strips. Marinate overnight. Lay meat out on a cookie sheet or baking pan and put the oven on low and bake it on very low heat until dry. There are also food dehydrator that work really good for this and racks you can get which you can use in the oven that work well too.

DMBFan23
02-16-2005, 12:30 PM
I've found that just a little olive oil, some salt and pepper, and a charcoal grill makes a pretty damn good steak. don't need to marinate it really, just brush, sprinkle, and grill...medium rare...mmmmm....

JimGil
02-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Cooking a great steak is easy - a few hours before you cook it, generously salt and pepper both sides and wrap in saran or a plastic bag. The meat will absorb the salt - very important to let it sit at least an hour if not overnight. If you don't have a grill - use the broiler in your oven - it's basically an upside down grill. A few minutes on each side.

VBM
02-16-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've found that just a little olive oil, some salt and pepper, and a charcoal grill makes a pretty damn good steak. don't need to marinate it really, just brush, sprinkle, and grill...medium rare...mmmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

Do this with a ribeye and it's really a fantastic meal.

Boris
02-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Hell yea! There is nothing better than a cow elk fattened up on wheat. Best meat in the world.

Boris
02-16-2005, 01:24 PM
If you get a good cut of meat there is no need to marinate. The key to cooking is to sear in the juices. So cook both sides on high on a gas grill for 1-2 minutes. Then reduce heat and cook to taste.

Shajen
02-16-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you get a good cut of meat there is no need to marinate. The key to cooking is to sear in the juices. So cook both sides on high on a gas grill for 1-2 minutes. Then reduce heat and cook to taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great way to have a n00b completely [censored] up his steak.

Searing in flavor is a must, however, I'm a fan of the leave it alone approach. Much easier for someone who is new to steak cooking to do it that way.

Your way is nice, for the more intermediate-level griller.

guller
02-16-2005, 02:54 PM
This marinade is great for any stringy cuts like hanger, flank, or skirt steak. Marinade for 24 hours and cut on a bias before serving. It's important to cut stringy steaks like this to break the fibers.

1/8 cup salt
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 cup minced yellow onion
1 tbl dry mustard
1 tbl black pepper
1/3 cup minced garlic
1 cup microbrew porter
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brewed coffee
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup honey
1 cup olive oil

Seem like a lot but trust me it's worth it. Follow others advice on searing steaks and definately use a WEBER!

Stupendous_Man
02-16-2005, 03:42 PM
I've not read all the other replies and there are many ways to prepare a steak. Like all foods, people have different tastes. For me, there are a few different ways to prepare.

We'll assume that the cut is a NY Strip.

Option #1 - Very basic. I honestly will stick to salt (either sea salt or kosher salt.... NO table salt junk) and pepper. Season both sides and rub. A grill (real grill, not GF) is a must. I personally use gas, but enjoy charcoal as well. You have a choice of either seasoning the meat and then spraying with something to prevent sticking or you can first lightly coat with extra virgin olive oil before seasoning. Anyway, once seasoned and grill is hot, I put the steaks on. You want the steaks to sear. Shouldn't take too long... maybe 2 minutes (timing all depends on how hot your grill runs) on one side and then flip. Cook a couple more minutes and then turn down the flame (assuming gas). For medium rare, you want the steak to have the same firmness as the part of your hand between your index finger and your thumb (when your fingers are straight out). The more firm the steak, the more done it is. Anything beyond that is too done, IMO. The goal is to make a great tasting dinner, not a hockey puck! /images/graemlins/grin.gif With your tongs, check the firmness of the steak and then pull from the grill. If you're new to grilling, it might take a few meals before "mastering" the ability to determine how done the steak is without cutting it (don't do this until you're ready to eat, as you then let out all the juices you created by searing the steak to begin with /images/graemlins/frown.gif ).

Option #2 - still very basic. This time, before putting the steaks on the grill (already seasoned as above), I start sauting some onions and mushrooms. Personally, since I'm not a big mushroom fan, I prefer the canned mushrooms. While you can use a good extra virgin olive oil for this as well, I prefer to use real butter. I'll either sautee with just pepper or I might add some crushed garlic too. After getting this going, I'll go put the steaks on the grill. Having done this for years, it's not difficult to have this going in the kitchen and the steaks going outside on the grill. Usually it works out to be good timing, as when the steaks are done, so are the onions and mushrooms. Place steak on plate and top with onions and mushrooms.

Option #3 - if you like more seasoning on your steak, look into a Montreal steak seasoning. In addition to the salt and pepper, you get garlic and other seasoning (the most notable tasting one being garlic). Prepare same as #1. I've used this a few times and it's a nice change, but not my first choice. I usually save the Montreal seasoning for prime rib! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The cut is very important. I know the cuts are classified differently around the country, but it's worth the extra buck/pound for the better quality cut. As you can see from above, I'm not into marinating good quality meats, as they have great flavor to begin with. Save the marinate for your "tougher" meats.

peachy
02-16-2005, 03:45 PM
i let them marinate in a mix of sauces, one being catalina dressing.....im sure the "guys" will think this is dumb...but try it!!! I know how to cook!

But then again...i also use a grill, to me its a waste of money not to grill them, but then again im very taste sensitive and rarely like meat either way.

Get a lil portable charcol grill!! its better than cooking them on the stove /images/graemlins/frown.gif We use these for tailgating!

And to whoever said u dont have to marinate if its good cut meat, i always have them cut mine and inspect it and usually get filet mignon, and i STILL marinate it, but thats ME, makes it taste 10 times better, when i go to put it on the grill i put (cant remember what its called) but its a seasoning for meats in a shaker - i sprinkle a lil on it, but not TOO MUCH!

HDPM
02-16-2005, 04:01 PM
When I don't want to go outside and grill, I do what some others have said. Preheat oven to 500. Cast iron skillet. Get it hot - put burner on highest setting. I usually rub the pan with oil when putting it away and just before cooking. When a little smoke starts coming off the pan is ready. Throw the steak in. I put Kosher or sea salt, pepper, and a little garlic on. Sear the steak 2 min on each side and then throw the whole pan in the 500 degree oven. I am still regulating how long I cook it in there and it depends on the thickness of the steak. The other night a mid thickness NY strip was just a little rare for me after 5 min, and I tossed it in another minute or so. Mistake. I should have let it just sit and it probably would have warmed up to a nice medium rare. Got too close to medium but it was still OK. Grilling is better, but the cast iron skillet is way better than a foreman grill which IMO gives you a funky tasting steak.

Ulysses
02-16-2005, 04:42 PM
This thread is great, if only for the cast iron skillet / oven technique. I grilled this weekend with friends, but it's always a big hassle alone. Now I am going to have a nice steak tonight.

Joe826
02-16-2005, 04:44 PM
thanks for all the replies. i'm gonna try nothumb's soy sauce marinate for tonight since i don't have the stuff for any of the other ones. i'll definetly try some of those other ones next time i go to the store.

PhatTBoll
02-16-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. For best results, use sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.

woodguy
02-16-2005, 05:37 PM
You never marinate steak, dry rubs only.
Marinade is for lower quality meats like stewing meat.

Montreal Steak Spice is the perfect dry rub.

This (http://www.clubhouse-canada.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=10324) is one of the ones I use, others calling themselves "Montreal" are not always good, but they are worth trying.

Searing in the juice, then grilling is the proper technique.

Using AAA Alberta beef always helps. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,
Woodguy

on_thg
02-16-2005, 05:48 PM
For tougher cuts (flank, skirt etc), I'm partial to lime juice.

Man, I wish I had a range hood. I'd be all over a ribeye tonight.

kemystery
02-16-2005, 07:49 PM
cube steak into 1 1/2x 1 1/2" pieces
marinate in teriyaki or make something like this *(1/2 cup red wine OR 1/2 a beer, pour over meat in bowl top off w/ tangy Italian dressing right out of the bottle - I prefer Newman's orig., splash w/ soy sauce, great for tri tip as well) marinate up to 3 hours in fridge

While marinating, cut some red/green/or yellow bell pepper as well as purple onion into like sized (1-1 1/2") pieces
skewer the meat cubes into shiskabobs w/ cherry tomatoes and mushrooms along w/ the other veggies

the Foreman grill will suffice, but BBQ is best

serve w/ steamed white rice or even cous cous

Fishwhenican
02-16-2005, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't know about the fattened up on wheat part(None of the elk I ever got was anywhere near a wheat field) but I DO prefer an elk steak to just about anything I have ever tasted!
Shot a big old lead cow out of a group of them last fall and have been eating well ever since.
Of course the deer and antelope steaks and sausages have been pretty darn good as well, but ELK is in a whole different category!

Joe826
02-17-2005, 03:36 AM
Damn you guys rock. I did the soy sauce steak tonight with the pan sear/oven combo and it was brilliant. No more GFG for me. Thanks guys.

The only downside is that my whole house became VERY smokey. I set off two fire alarms and pissed off all 4 of my roommates. I think this might be because a.) I had half a piece of black forest ham stuck under the burner thingy and 2.) because I might have put a little too much oil in the pan.

Also, after I removed the steak from the pan I decided it would be a good idea to pick it up and put it in the sink, forgetting that it was just in a 500 degree oven. I have a rather nasty burn on my hand, and I guarentee i'm going to make that mistake again. Oh well, it's worth it. Thanks guys.

Shajen
02-17-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn you guys rock. I did the soy sauce steak tonight with the pan sear/oven combo and it was brilliant. No more GFG for me. Thanks guys.

The only downside is that my whole house became VERY smokey. I set off two fire alarms and pissed off all 4 of my roommates. I think this might be because a.) I had half a piece of black forest ham stuck under the burner thingy and 2.) because I might have put a little too much oil in the pan.

Also, after I removed the steak from the pan I decided it would be a good idea to pick it up and put it in the sink, forgetting that it was just in a 500 degree oven. I have a rather nasty burn on my hand, and I guarentee i'm going to make that mistake again. Oh well, it's worth it. Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, just wait til you get a grill.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fishwhenican
02-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Yes, If there is ANY way to use a grill do it!.
Maybe you have just no way at all but if you can find any way to cook outside, even if it is going to the park or something get a grill.
I bought this little propane grill that is really small, like a small suitcase, that runs on the little propane bottles and I use it when I am camping or when we are out hunting and want to take a break for a hot lunch. We really like packing some elk or deer steaks along and takin that break and firing up the little grill and searing flesh for lunch! We don't even bother using plates or forks or anything. Just grab chunks of rare meat off the grill and start digging in with just hands and teeth!
Whups, sorry I slipped a little bit there. Got carried away thinking about it /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Really though, get one of those little grills and get outside and give it a try. Takes meat to a whole new level!

Graham
02-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Pan-fried is every bit as good as grilled. Skillet's great if you don't want to fire up a grill.

One thing I'd like to add to all the good suggestions is: for god's sake, get your steak outta the fridge and to room temperature before cooking it. (And resting a few minutes after removing from heat makes a big difference too).

here's a great, very tasty and very easy sauce I make to go with steaks and teh ole garlic/olive mashed spuds: equal parts butter, worcester sauce and balsamic vinegar. Med/high heat in a pan so it froths for just a coupla mins only, until it thickens very slightly. Don't overcook or everything separates. That's it.