PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with a serious series of bad beats? AKA deal with tilt

Karak567
02-16-2005, 03:52 AM
What do you do? What's your method of calming down?

I just busted out on the bubble in 5 games in a row, all of these are all in pre-flop, except for one.

First game, AK vs AJ, I had AK, AJ won.

Second game, KK vs 24, I had KK, 24 wins.

Third game, KK vs QT, I had KK, QT wins.

Fourth game, the flop comes QQT, i have T7, push and get called by 55, who rivers a 5.

Fifth game, AK vs 8T. I had AK, 8T wins.

Needless to say this has put me on roaring tilt. So what's your method of channeling the tilt.

Venting about it makes it a little better.

If I'm going to get flamed for making this post, let me know.

spentrent
02-16-2005, 03:57 AM
1) Don't post about it; you'll get flamed and it'll just keep the bad beat in your mind.

2) Congratulate yourself for having made a great decision that will make you a lot of cash in the future.

3) Do NOT berate the opponent. A "nh" or "well played" will do.

tdarko
02-16-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you do? What's your method of calming down?

[/ QUOTE ]
depends if my gf is around /images/graemlins/wink.gif, haha nah just kidding. for one thing i wouldn't post it, i usually just go downstairs and eat an apple and do a crossword puzzle.

Irieguy
02-16-2005, 04:05 AM
Read Candide by Voltaire.

You can read it in a day. It will help you deal with tilt, and reading is good for you anyways. Plus it's funny.

Irieguy

bones
02-16-2005, 04:06 AM
I visit the Psychology thread.

REL18
In all honesty find something you like to eat but make sure you say gh or nh after, this immediatly makes me remeber i did the right thing just saying it makes me feel better. Then I eat pizza or cheesecake. And then most importantly i leave the poker game for no less then 10 minutes just leave for 10 minutes how can playing those ten help you just leave

Karak567
Good advice.

And I read original text (in French) last year. A great novel and a great read. You really need to read it in French to fully appreciate Voltaire's use of language. I love that book :-).

Escape
02-16-2005, 04:23 AM
berate those suckers!

curtains
02-16-2005, 05:20 AM
The trick is to play so much and get sucked out on so much that when you have AA vs KTs, it just looks like a coin flip to you. Then there's really no bad beats anymore.

(btw this only works if your opponent has the KTs, not you. If you have KTs, you will win about 5%.)

spentrent
02-16-2005, 05:23 AM
Or read some Philip K. Dick... then you'll discover that it's poker that's playing you.

networkman
02-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Just keep playing mate, play enough SnG's and the suckouts don't bother you anymore.

In fact, you'll be laughing about them (only to yourself of course) but don't throw rocks in the lake. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jcm4ccc
02-16-2005, 08:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Read Candide by Voltaire.

You can read it in a day. It will help you deal with tilt, and reading is good for you anyways. Plus it's funny.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
Good advice.

And I read original text (in French) last year. A great novel and a great read. You really need to read it in French to fully appreciate Voltaire's use of language. I love that book :-).

[/ QUOTE ]

In the language of poker, Karak567 has reraised Irieguy

Geo
02-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Bads beats like these are GOOD. They mean you are getting your chips in the middle as a clear favourite so what more can you do. Just keep playing the same way and all is well.

lorinda
02-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Read You call THAT a bad day? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1669264&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1) by Irieguy and be thankful he was having a better day today /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lori

Vish
02-16-2005, 11:26 AM
"Read You call THAT a bad day? by Irieguy and be thankful he was having a better day today."

That post is all that is currently getting me through the worst run of my (short) SNG poker career. Thanks Irie.

t_petrosian
02-16-2005, 11:54 AM
I don't know that I have a solution to tilting either. I steam sometimes, but recently, I have come to recognize that I am tilting. I refused to accept that I tilt earlier in my poker "career," but now I know I do. When I tilt, I do it for a whole day. And there's not much that can untilt me except for sleeping it off.

A couple of months ago I started recalling the bad beats that I put on other people. After only a week, I had a doozy of a collection. Juicy bad beats that I would otherwise forget or file away egotistically as "outplaying an opponent." After you have 6-8 of these juicy beats that you put on someone else, recall a few of them next time you get beaten the same way.

I also have managed to convince myself recently that simply stopping playing is the right thing to do when I'm tilting. Since I could hardly accept that I tilted before, I refused to stop playing. Now, I know I tilt - it's no fun to tilt anyway. If I'm not having fun, I don't want to be playing anyway. Log off, grab the recent Cardplayer, watch some TV, go get a milk shake...anything. Just quit playing.

The advice of an admitted tilter....

MSUcougar
02-16-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Read You call THAT a bad day? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1669264&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1) by Irieguy and be thankful he was having a better day today /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Lori

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL not THAT thread again... /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

AA suited
02-17-2005, 01:58 AM
i've lost 20+ QQ/KK/AA hands in a row in about 2 days at 50+5. the only thing that kept me sane was that i was winning with garbage. so it all equaled out in that instance.

but generally, i stop playing for the day. i go out and come back home at bedtime so i wont be tempted to play. the $ i spend going out is less than what i lose by playing on tilt.