PDA

View Full Version : numb/prickly mouse hand

pokerraja
02-16-2005, 02:30 AM
anyone else suffer from this condition? obviously from too much poker. I've even gone as far as to buy a new mouse. It didnt help.

kyro
02-16-2005, 02:38 AM
mine doesn't get numb. it freezes. anytime i play poker for an hour or so, my fingers will be so cold, supposedly from the blood falling away from them? i dunno, but it sucks.

AAeyes
02-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Take your hand off the mouse and let it hang at your side in between hands...

pokerraja
02-16-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Take your hand off the mouse and let it hang at your side in between hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, feels better already. i guess blood circulation is a good thing /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pokerraja
02-16-2005, 02:49 AM
but, I honesty think that the actual mouse causes this numbing/tingling effect. Because when I play for hours using my touch pad on my notebook, I don't get that feeling. I think it has something to do with the electronic configurations on the mouse and long exposure.

Transference
02-16-2005, 03:12 AM
My pinky often goes numb during long sessions, I just try to excercise it between hands as much as possible. I do think its probably the mouse design, I also have very large hands so this particular mouse might not suit me well.

scrub
02-16-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
anyone else suffer from this condition? obviously from too much poker. I've even gone as far as to buy a new mouse. It didnt help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a trackball and a v. good optical mouse. I rotate between them every week or so. This seems to help quite a bit.

Also, not keeping my hand on the mouse when I don't need to click is very helpful.

scrub

Robbe
02-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Numbness in the pinky and ring finger could be a sign of a compressed cervical vertebra (C4). Probably not serious, but worth knowing about. Physical therapy and exercises that you can do yourself are available.

Your mileage may vary. Offer not available in all States. Close cover before striking.

Eratosthenes
02-16-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a trackball and a v. good optical mouse. I rotate between them every week or so. This seems to help quite a bit.

Also, not keeping my hand on the mouse when I don't need to click is very helpful.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

Mice are evil; trackballs are much better. I use a Logitech trackman wheel--it has solved all of my odd wrist feelings. I also have a logitech marble mouse (which is really a trackball)--it is OK, but the trackman is better. The trackman only costs 29.95 in the wired version, so you don't lose much if you don't like it.

meow_meow
02-16-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Numbness in the pinky and ring finger could be a sign of a compressed cervical vertebra (C4). Probably not serious, but worth knowing about. Physical therapy and exercises that you can do yourself are available.

Your mileage may vary. Offer not available in all States. Close cover before striking.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly my problem - numbness in those two fingers of my mouse hand (but not my left). Are you saying this may be a back issue rather than a hand/arm issue? If so, why only the one hand?
Thanks for any suggestion, been this way for a couple of weeks now and it's getting annoying.

Fiddler
02-16-2005, 11:23 AM
It is called RSI, repetitive strain injury, and it can actually get pretty serious if you don't do anything about it. I had co-worker that had to have hand surgery and one that simply gave up working in the IT field. And no, I'm not kidding.

I don't know if this link is any good but you can read some about it here (http://webreference.com/rsi.html) including some preventive measures. Try to take care of it before it gets more serious.

BradleyT
02-16-2005, 11:53 AM
I've been using a mouse/computer nearly daily for 20 years and haven't experienced anything like that.

The worst I get is computer elbow (just ugly elbow skin from it resting on the arms of the chair so often).

thebrokenone
02-16-2005, 12:42 PM
I'm on the computer about 16 hours a day between work and poker or whatever... I used to have all kinds of concerns about carpal tunnel... so I went out and bought a trackball, which helped, but didn't fix anything... so... I started playing w/ my poker chips all day. I even carry 20 or so w/ me to work. I've found that stopping for a second to shuffle or try to learn a new chip trick has really helped! (my wrist AND, more importantly, I can impress my family and friends w/ all of my fancy chip tricks!) Might be worth a try.

Robbe
02-16-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is exactly my problem - numbness in those two fingers of my mouse hand (but not my left). Are you saying this may be a back issue rather than a hand/arm issue? If so, why only the one hand?
Thanks for any suggestion, been this way for a couple of weeks now and it's getting annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic (so I'm told). Mine started on just one side about eight years ago and soon progressed to the other, as well. I have been through PT twice, the last time ending about two years ago. It comes and goes.

Bellagibro
02-16-2005, 11:08 PM
I take lots of breaks and switch hands often during a session. You might also consider using an auto clicking program so you don't have to click 1000s of times a day.

astroglide
02-17-2005, 03:00 AM
this will happen really easy if your desk is too high (wrist resting heavily on the edge)