PDA

View Full Version : Playing drunk online

shejk
02-16-2005, 02:18 AM
I have been playing poker on and off for about a year, with a few long breaks and a slow ascent bankroll-wise. I normally play 2-4 or 3-6 fl holdem, but likes to play $50 nl he, as well as omaha hi and hilo.

I like to play poker when I come home after having gone out, sometimes very drunk, sometimes a bit, sometimes almost sober, even though I play completely sober more often.

I think it's great fun[playing drunk], and even though I've had some sessions that I've fallen asleep during and stuff, usually I'm earning money. Especially the nl games.

I tend to build a very drunk image - doing something stupid and then emphazising it with semi-incoherent rambling in the chat. And then *boom* I take their money. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I play by the book afterwards, but I play like a LAG, and can usually make up for it or better with postflop play. People at the table loosen up as well after a bit, and ouchi coochie.

Now, why can't I duplicate this fun and (from my limited data) winning style when sober? Can anyone relate to this? What are your thoughts about playing when drunk?

nongice626
02-16-2005, 07:49 AM
all the best NL players have the image of LAG.

Warren Whitmore
02-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Do you think you could run a mile in a shorter time when drunk? Do you think you could improve your max bench press when drunk? Do you think you can play a better game of tennis when drunk? How about a game of chess? The answer to these questions and many more are the same as the question of if you can play cards better when drunk.

As to how to mimic drunk play when sober try this. Put a bag over your head with a small hole in the top. Breath in this reduced oxygen atmosphere for a few minutes before begaining play. The decreased oxygen supply to your brain should roughly have the same affect as the CH2 OH blood supply of reducing your mental capacity.

shejk
02-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Frankly I must say that your examples suck. A better metaphor might be "do you have an easier time to pick up a girl when you've had a couple of beers?".

HooHa
02-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Not quite. It definately can be beneficial for some. However, there are many that have simply have a strong image. i.e. Harrington and Lederer(sp?).

Hellmouth
02-16-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think you could run a mile in a shorter time when drunk? Do you think you could improve your max bench press when drunk? Do you think you can play a better game of tennis when drunk? How about a game of chess? The answer to these questions and many more are the same as the question of if you can play cards better when drunk.

As to how to mimic drunk play when sober try this. Put a bag over your head with a small hole in the top. Breath in this reduced oxygen atmosphere for a few minutes before begaining play. The decreased oxygen supply to your brain should roughly have the same affect as the CH2 OH blood supply of reducing your mental capacity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeeze I dont think he was looking for a lecture on drinking or an excuse to do it while playing. What he was saying is that he wants to develop an image counter to the way that he plays when he is sober (ie Mike Caro etc).

I think that it is a great idea to cultivate an image of a LAG while actually playing TAG. Thats the whole purpose of semi-bluffing and then showing down junk cards. People go, "you played that against a reraise?!?!?" Then you crush them for the next two hours because they continue to think that you may sometimes be playing junk when you are really holding AA.

No need to get all crazy on the guy. We all play poker partly because we enjoy it. Sometimes he plays while drinking. This is not exactly a crime.

Greg

Zygote
02-16-2005, 05:42 PM
"As to how to mimic drunk play when sober try this. Put a bag over your head with a small hole in the top. Breath in this reduced oxygen atmosphere for a few minutes before begaining play. The decreased oxygen supply to your brain should roughly have the same affect as the CH2 OH blood supply of reducing your mental capacity.
"

youd have to be drunk to ever even attempt this.

Warren Whitmore
02-16-2005, 06:35 PM
But I don't know the answer to that one.

Warren Whitmore
02-16-2005, 06:36 PM
How could it be benifitial to do something that reduces the oxygen supply to your brain at a time when you need to think clearly?

Warren Whitmore
02-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Sadly I have a lot of experiance doing studid things of that sort. (not while playing poker however)

SenecaJim
02-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Don't listen to Warren, that sounds dangerous. Get yourself a good balloon and do a half dozen Whippits. (could even pop devo in player to keep with the theme and all).