PDA

View Full Version : When to push big draws?

cookieb
02-16-2005, 01:30 AM
I think of of the big flaws in my game is not playing big draws correctly, particularly from early position. For example in a MTT tonight I raised to 360 (blinds 60-120) from the SB with A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif, BB and Button called.

Flop was 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I checked.

Question #1- Do you bet here? Is the check as weak as I think it is?

BB checked Button pushed for about 2100, I had 1700 left thought fo a while and call, he had nines, I hit an ace.

Question #2- I felt this was an easy call with my over cards and the nut draw, however, would you have called this with a non nut draw?

Question #3- When do you bet a draw, what situations do you feel are most successful?

Pepsquad
02-16-2005, 01:46 AM
#1) Yes. You should bet this flop.

#2) Depends.

#3)
A. When I have position.
B. When my opponent appears weak.
C. Blind Stealing.
D. Bullying short stacks.

There are certainly other situations, but these are common.

cookieb
02-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks pep, I am going to try to incorprate this into my game a bit more. Any other thoughts or suggestions for reading material about the subject?

tripdad
02-17-2005, 07:55 AM
in this situation, you are a favorite against any logical holding save for a set. whenever that is the case, save for a unique situation or two, you want your chips in the pot.

cheers!

threeonefour
02-18-2005, 03:08 PM
cap the flop

edit: oops i thought this was a limit hand....

Kaz The Original
02-18-2005, 03:17 PM
This is an easy flop push given your stack size. You do NOT want 99 to call you, even though you are a favourite.

Folding equity is key to winning here.

pzhon
02-18-2005, 05:16 PM
While pushing may get 99 to fold, I think the chips were going in regardless. Both of you liked this flop. The 99 wasn't calling just for set value.

Check-raising may win more chips off a weaker hand. Keep in mind that you don't just have a flush draw and overcards. You have AK-high, which could easily be the best made hand. Your opponent may be drawing to 3 outs.

Chris Dow
02-19-2005, 01:22 PM
It depends on the average tournament stack slightly imo, but in most cases after building the flop like you did you will just want that pot on the flop and should therefore push. The times not to push with this hand on this flop is when you are significantly below average. If you are very very short I would not push because I would want to do anything I could to get action with this miraculous flop.