View Full Version : KK very early on.

afk
02-16-2005, 01:27 AM
Sorry, very early in the tourny and no reliable reads. I had just blown a bad blind steal (though I'm thinking I should just quit with the idea of stealing too many blinds early on). Anyway, on to the hand...

I was lost from the flop on. Send help. Also, bigger raise preflop?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">MP2 (t1500)</font>
MP3 (t1490)
Hero (t1290)
Button (t1260)
SB (t1760)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1530)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 (t1670)</font>
MP1 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, Button calls t60, SB calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t40, MP2 calls t40.

Flop: (t320) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t200</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t1610</font>, MP2 calls t1420 (All-In), Hero folds..

johnnybeef
02-16-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
though I'm thinking I should just quit with the idea of stealing too many blinds early on)

[/ QUOTE ]

good thinking

[ QUOTE ]
Also, bigger raise preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, you want to adjust your preflop raise to the amount of limpers. for x amount of limpers, you wand to raise (3+x)bb. so for example if the blinds are 10/20 and there are three limpers, you will want to raise 6 bb= 120. something else to be considered, with more then one limper in a pot this early in a sng, you may want to consider throwing away all but the best hands.

as for your play on the flop, i like a pot size raise instead of a 2/3. if any one comes over top of you, you can be pretty sure that you are beat. if two people come over top of you like we have in this instance, you can bet your mortgage that you are beat.

hope this helps,
johnny.

afk
02-16-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

yes, you want to adjust your preflop raise to the amount of limpers. for x amount of limpers, you wand to raise (3+x)bb. so for example if the blinds are 10/20 and there are three limpers, you will want to raise 6 bb= 120. something else to be considered, with more then one limper in a pot this early in a sng, you may want to consider throwing away all but the best hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that helps a lot, thanks! I've been playing very tight early on, so I'm aware of that, and it's been working so far. Thanks for the tip on raise size considering number of limpers - Is that the standard around this forum?

spentrent
02-16-2005, 01:58 AM
Hey Johnny out of curiosity do you also apply the 1xPOT standard in shortstack tourneys like Party's? I recently switched from 1xPOT to .75xPOT, but I don't know how it's affecting my game yet.

curtains
02-16-2005, 03:13 AM
Listen to johnnybeef about the preflop play, its VERY important.

johnnybeef
02-16-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tip on raise size considering number of limpers - Is that the standard around this forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno, i learned it in ciaffones nl book, which of course is not 2+2.

johnnybeef
02-16-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Johnny out of curiosity do you also apply the 1xPOT standard in shortstack tourneys like Party's? I recently switched from 1xPOT to .75xPOT, but I don't know how it's affecting my game yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, as long as you tighten up a little bit as your chips are worth much more in comparison to ub/stars. the main thing to focus on in any sng is the ratio of your stack:blinds. i usually raise 3x bb until either my stack gets less than 7bb (usually w/ 8-10 bb i will raise and then push on the flop unless conditions are unfavorable [multi way pot, bad flop, someone pushes into me when i miss]), or my opponents start to come over top of me. the thing to remember in the first few rounds of a sng is that with blinds of 15-30 it is not worth risking your entire stack for a chance at making the money unless you have a considerable edge...i.e. a premium hand or a very strong hand in lp.

hope that helps,
johnny