PDA

View Full Version : 2+2 fantasy baseball league

James282
02-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Hey all, I was thinking of making a 2+2 fantasy baseball league, preferably a keeper league, and destroying a bunch of 2+2ers in it. I'd like to make it a 12-16 team league, with 8 keepers from year to year. Teams would have 25 guys and I'd probably do it through yahoo, but I'd be open to other suggestions as well. It would be head to head with the following categories(also negotiable if a great suggestion pops up).
Offense:
OBP, HR, RBI, R, SB
Pitching:
K, ERA, W, WHIP, S

I'd probably do 5 starters, 3 relievers. This is only for people who are pretty serious about fantasy baseball, and I'd like to do 50$ entry each year, with the winner getting 75% and 2nd place getting 25%. Respond to this thread if interested, and if a lot of interest is generated we can always start a few leagues.
Peace,
James

Cornell Fiji
02-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Im interested but have found that head to head leagues don't do well for baseball because invariably someone will stop tryng (setting lineups etc) as the season progresses and it is to a teams great advantage if they play these teams later in the season. I think that points leagues or traditional roto leagues are a lot better.

Either way, I'm interested.

-Steve

Dynasty
02-16-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey all, I was thinking of making a 2+2 fantasy baseball league, preferably a keeper league, and destroying a bunch of 2+2ers in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I didn't already have a LABR championship on my resume, I might be impressed by such bravado.

Russ McGinley
02-16-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm interested, but I agree with Cornell Fiji.

EDIT: Nevermind.

nolanfan34
02-16-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey all, I was thinking of making a 2+2 fantasy baseball league, preferably a keeper league, and destroying a bunch of 2+2ers in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I didn't already have a LABR championship on my resume, I might be impressed by such bravado.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's safe to say no one on this site can match that, therefore Dynasty pwns all.

Oh, and I'm interested. I was running fantasy leagues while you were still in diapers, James.

dmk
02-16-2005, 01:36 AM
i'm interested

Jake (The Snake)
02-16-2005, 01:38 AM
also interested... but only if it's standard roto... I just can't adjust to other formats with a bunch of teams.

If it makes any difference, I've never lost a fantasy baseball league (I've played 5). But it's safe to say Dynasty does pwn me.

jason_t
02-16-2005, 01:41 AM
I would like to be pwned in this league.

BottlesOf
02-16-2005, 01:55 AM
What does LABR stand for? I have a friend who has some impressive fantasy baseball accomplishments, he might be able to tango.

Joe Tall
02-16-2005, 01:56 AM
I'm in.

nolanfan34
02-16-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What does LABR stand for? I have a friend who has some impressive fantasy baseball accomplishments, he might be able to tango.

[/ QUOTE ]

League of Alternative Baseball Reality. It's a major experts league that takes place each year, with an AL and and NL league.

nolanfan34
02-16-2005, 02:03 AM
Couple of additional opinions. I hate head to head with a passion. The randomness of the schedule is a killer the last couple of weeks of the season. And yes, I'm bitter because I've had horrible luck in the playoffs the last couple of years.

Second, if it's going to be a keeper league, there needs to be some solid groundrules on keepers, trade deadline, etc.

Finally, I like paying out 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but that's just me.

Sounds like fun though. I had talked to a couple of people about a 2+2 league, but had not posted anything yet.

James282
02-16-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I had your old signature in mind when I wrote it that way to try to goad you into playing /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As far as head to head leagues go, I find them far more interesting than roto simply because people do have to keep paying attention. Also, it's tougher to get to the halfway point in the season and feel like you have absolutely no chance. It also makes for more interesting week to week strategy.
-James

James282
02-16-2005, 02:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's safe to say no one on this site can match that, therefore Dynasty pwns all.

Oh, and I'm interested. I was running fantasy leagues while you were still in diapers, James.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people here were playing poker when I was in diapers, but that hasn't stopped me from getting just as good as they are at that.
-James

PS I love the trash talking aspect of fantasy baseball most of all!

Ten7offsuit
02-16-2005, 02:09 AM
I'm definately in.

nolanfan34
02-16-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people here were playing poker when I was in diapers, but that hasn't stopped me from getting just as good as they are at that.
-James

PS I love the trash talking aspect of fantasy baseball most of all!

[/ QUOTE ]

Point well taken, and I can tell you would be a tough opponent.

scrub
02-16-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey all, I was thinking of making a 2+2 fantasy baseball league, preferably a keeper league, and destroying a bunch of 2+2ers in it. I'd like to make it a 12-16 team league, with 8 keepers from year to year. Teams would have 25 guys and I'd probably do it through yahoo, but I'd be open to other suggestions as well. It would be head to head with the following categories(also negotiable if a great suggestion pops up).
Offense:
OBP, HR, RBI, R, SB
Pitching:
K, ERA, W, WHIP, S

I'd probably do 5 starters, 3 relievers. This is only for people who are pretty serious about fantasy baseball, and I'd like to do 50$ entry each year, with the winner getting 75% and 2nd place getting 25%. Respond to this thread if interested, and if a lot of interest is generated we can always start a few leagues.
Peace,
James

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll play.

scrub

Jeff W
02-16-2005, 03:14 AM
I will play.

craig r
02-16-2005, 04:04 AM
I am interested in the league as well. And paying out the top 4 is good. And I have no problem sending the money to nolanfan34; he can definitely be trusted.

craig

WillMagic
02-16-2005, 04:13 AM
I'm game.

Will

doughhater
02-16-2005, 07:37 AM
I didn't bother reading past the original post so pardon me if I repeat anything. I would love to get involved in a league, but I think that H2H is pretty lousy for baseball. I definitely prefer a points based league as it is easier to quantify player strengths, but I would be open to a ROTO league as well.

rt1
02-16-2005, 08:50 AM
would love to play in this. i agree that head2head is prob not the best option.

cjromero
02-16-2005, 09:27 AM
If there is still room, I would like to get a team.

CCass
02-16-2005, 10:09 AM
I don't like H2H either, but I am interested. Also, if there are 16 teams, we should pay out the top 4.

B00T
02-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Count me in please.

IndieMatty
02-16-2005, 10:43 AM
interested

MarkL444
02-16-2005, 10:44 AM
where's nate?

crownjules
02-16-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm interested. Been awhile, but I can learn fast.

NoPeak
02-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Im in. Prefer roto to h2h however.

freehat
02-16-2005, 10:57 AM
interested

TMFS9
02-16-2005, 11:09 AM
I am interested

pudley4
02-16-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You only tied for first.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bugstud
02-16-2005, 02:18 PM
kinda looks like enough support for a roto league AND and h2h league /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd prefer to do roto

Algasm
02-16-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm interested, and I actually like H2H. Even though in this past football season I had the 2nd most points and finished in 7th place. That sucked.

MLG
02-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Add my name to the list of willing and eager.

James282
02-16-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
kinda looks like enough support for a roto league AND and h2h league /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd prefer to do roto

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, you all should organize a roto and I can probably organize the h2h. H2H is so much more strategy that I'm surprised people actually prefer roto. I mean I know it's less maintenence and less work before hand but I just love the week to week strategy. I also hate when the season is over halfway through...maybe that's just me!
-James

nolanfan34
02-16-2005, 03:30 PM
James,

Are you thinking the head-to-head would be a daily lineup change or weekly lineup change? I like the rosters to lock weekly if that's what we go with.

Algasm
02-16-2005, 03:36 PM
I like locking the roster weekly as well. Also is it going to be an auction draft?

bugstud
02-16-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'd prefer to do roto

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, you all should organize a roto and I can probably organize the h2h. H2H is so much more strategy that I'm surprised people actually prefer roto. I mean I know it's less maintenence and less work before hand but I just love the week to week strategy. I also hate when the season is over halfway through...maybe that's just me!
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Grew up on roto...and never played in a league where all the teams change rosters in a h2h. Kinda ruins it.

On that note, let's figure out exactly how many people are wanting to play in these leagues so we can get them all setup.

Jake (The Snake)
02-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Somebody who commands a bit more respect than me should set up another thread or something where people can just type "h2h" or "roto" so we know where people stand.

Also, I'd like to point out that these are (at least for now) supposed to be KEEPER LEAGUES. This means you have to be serious about fantasy baseball and are willing to play EVERY year. Really, we should try to get people who will almost CERTAINLY still be at 2+2 years from now and will not lose interest in fantasy baseball (unfortunately I only have about 200 posts so this doesn't say much for me). Just my 2 cents.

ftball0000
02-16-2005, 06:45 PM
count me in

wayabvpar
02-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Are you planning on doing all the admin stuff yourself, or outsourcing it to a web site? MLB bought the rights to fantasy baseball, and so all normal websites are in limbo as everyone sues the pants off of MLB.

It is a clusterfuck.

nolanfan34
02-16-2005, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you planning on doing all the admin stuff yourself, or outsourcing it to a web site? MLB bought the rights to fantasy baseball, and so all normal websites are in limbo as everyone sues the pants off of MLB.

It is a clusterfuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not completely correct, as the big three of Yahoo, CBS and ESPN are being granted licenses to keep running their product. There was an article in Baseball Prospectus today about this.

MicroBob
02-16-2005, 08:08 PM
I didn't know about that stuff at all. Wow. Crazy.

I would like to play either head-to-head OR straight-roto.

BTW - I typically have finished near the bottom of every fantasy-baseball league I have ever played in.
You guys should all be diving over each other to get me in your league because I kinda suck.

On draft-day I'm always the guy going 'wait a sec....is this guy a pitcher? who does he play for?'
'ummm, no Bob...he's a 3rd baseman...he hit 22 HR's last year.'
'ummmmm.....oh yeah...i remember that name now.'

wayabvpar
02-16-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is a clusterfuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not completely correct, as the big three of Yahoo, CBS and ESPN are being granted licenses to keep running their product. There was an article in Baseball Prospectus today about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! I hadn't heard about that yet (I was hopeful, but you never know).

nolanfan34
02-16-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is a clusterfuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet! I hadn't heard about that yet (I was hopeful, but you never know).

[/ QUOTE ]

The article today is a free (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=3763) one, so check it out.

Losing all
02-16-2005, 11:25 PM
I'm in for sure.

If it's keeper it will almost have to be auction (and that will be a long day) Best to have an alt player or 2 for auction no-shows.

I'd much rather play roto, but I'll do whatever.

btw- I like OBP over the standard 5x5 AVG., good idea.

HesseJam
02-17-2005, 02:25 AM
I am very much interested and would like you all to be embarrassed by a German who didn't discover MLB until 1996.

I do not play H2H though. I noticed that a lot want to play and many prefer roto. How about two leagues? You can count me in for roto. I am currently quite busy so a live draft would be quite difficult for me. Not a problem though, I'll win anyway.