PDA

View Full Version : Concerts it kills you knowing you missed

fnord_too
02-15-2005, 11:45 PM
For me there are three:

Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues tour (I was a kid, this was before I knew how much they kicked ass and how great this particular concert was. It's the concert they filmed to make Stop Making Sense).

The first Lollapalooza (sp?) - A friend asked if I wanted a ticket and to go on a road trip, but like a [censored] idiot I said no because I would just be getting back into town from summer session in college and wanted to chill some. GRRRRRR. I saw number two, and it was. (Red Hot Chili Peppers (who were great) and 8 bands I wouldn't pay $3 to see in a bar.) I wanted to see everyone in the first line up, and had missed NIN and Jane's Addiction the billion times they played my town. Stupid Stupid Stupid

Beasties and A Tribe Called Quest - Tribes farewell tour. Was I older and wiser? [censored] no.

(This trip down regret lane brought to you by a session of loading my collection on the Ipod.)

So what are the concerts you could have gone to, and are kicking yourself for missing?

Alobar
02-16-2005, 12:01 AM
RATM /images/graemlins/frown.gif

AngryCola
02-16-2005, 12:02 AM
1994 Pink Floyd Tour

I had a chance to go, but didn't.

Oops.

kipin
02-16-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1994 Pink Floyd Tour

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in 3rd grade and I had no idea who they were, but I remember seeing their blimp (promoting the tour) fly over the school during recess. Damn.

Dead
02-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Woodstock 99.

Twenty minutes from my house. I was only 14 years old. Parents wouldn't let me go.

Understandable I guess. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ulysses
02-16-2005, 01:04 AM
Ugh.

Multiple Red Hot Chili Peppers shows.

Multiple Nirvana shows.

A couple of Lollapalloozas.

Multiple Stevie Ray Vaughn shows (I did get to see him a few times, though).

02-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Styx at Rockland Community College in 1979. All the kids in my 8th grade class had Styx shirts the next day, except me. I felt so alone.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-16-2005, 01:28 AM
The Smashing Pumpkins last concert (that a normal guy could get into) - 11/29/00, United Center in Chicago. I was damn near obsessive-compulsive (http://www.geocities.com/cfr707/bootlist.htm) over the Pumpkins and since I lived in Northern WI, I never got a chance to see them live. I was ready to make the 6-8 hour drive from school to Chicago to make sure I got to see this one show, though. My friend and I spent an entire saturday morning making sure I got tickets in the pre-sale. I got tickets, but they weren't that great, so I also blew the next saturday morning trying to get better tickets in the general sale. I did get better tickets, but ended up with 2 extra sets, which I sold. Anyway, I ended up not being able to go because there was an exam that night that I couldn't miss because I was just about to graduate and I couldn't possibly miss this exam. The prof asked us on the first day of class (well before all the Pumpkins stuff went down) if anyone had any schedule conflicts with the exams. Since nobody objected right that second, he said alright, it's set in stone. As soon as I found out about the concert, I asked if I could take the exam early/late/whatever and he absolutely refused because I didn't object the first day of class. That cocksucking motherfucker son of a bitch was the only reason I missed the most badass concert ever because he wouldn't let me re-schedule a [censored] exam. I have a recording of the show and it was [censored] awesome - 3 hours plus of absolute badass rock. What a fucker. I'm pissed now.

ps. The list in that link isn't nearly complete.
pps. Three cheers for the censor filter on 2+2! No trickery here and my obscenity-laden post only got two words censored out - and they were the same word.

Boris
02-16-2005, 01:50 AM
I was a sophomore in highschool in Missoula, MT and it just happened to be the second stop on the Beastie Boy's License To Ill tour. Gawd I'm still pissed I missed that one. License to Ill was their only good album and they played in the middle of Bumfuck USA with girls dancing in cages. I heard it was awesome.

astroglide
02-16-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
License to Ill was their only good album

[/ QUOTE ]

wow is that ever wrong

craig r
02-16-2005, 04:01 AM
Have you heard Paul's Boutique?

craig

plaster8
02-16-2005, 04:14 AM
Van Halen, 1984 tour, Portland's Memorial Coliseum.

I was in sixth grade, and my mom said I was too young to go.
(In her defense, though, she was pretty cool regarding music -- Right after the 1984 album came out, I came home from school to find a copy of it sitting on my bed.)

nicky g
02-16-2005, 06:31 AM
A Nirvana show, but I actually had a ticket and he killed himself, so there wasn;'t much I could do about that.

An Afghan Whigs show in Brussels - my friends refused to come and I didn;t fancy going on my own. They split up shortly afterwards so I never got to see them play live. Did get to see the Twilight Singers who played a few Whigs songs, and they were great, but it wasn't quite the same.

The Killers, recently; played just up the road from my house last year and I had an opportunity to get one ticket (it sold out in a day), but not two, and would have felt bad going without my wife who also really wanted to see it.

doughhater
02-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Metallica and GnR when they toured together in the early 90's. I can't think of a better live show being possible. But alas, I was like 12.

Same time period, the Paige/Plant reunion tour. I was really into Zeppelin at the time, but once again, too young.

captZEEbo1
02-16-2005, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Smashing Pumpkins last concert (that a normal guy could get into) - 11/29/00, United Center in Chicago. I was damn near obsessive-compulsive (http://www.geocities.com/cfr707/bootlist.htm) over the Pumpkins and since I lived in Northern WI, I never got a chance to see them live. I was ready to make the 6-8 hour drive from school to Chicago to make sure I got to see this one show, though. My friend and I spent an entire saturday morning making sure I got tickets in the pre-sale. I got tickets, but they weren't that great, so I also blew the next saturday morning trying to get better tickets in the general sale. I did get better tickets, but ended up with 2 extra sets, which I sold. Anyway, I ended up not being able to go because there was an exam that night that I couldn't miss because I was just about to graduate and I couldn't possibly miss this exam. The prof asked us on the first day of class (well before all the Pumpkins stuff went down) if anyone had any schedule conflicts with the exams. Since nobody objected right that second, he said alright, it's set in stone. As soon as I found out about the concert, I asked if I could take the exam early/late/whatever and he absolutely refused because I didn't object the first day of class. That cocksucking motherfucker son of a bitch was the only reason I missed the most badass concert ever because he wouldn't let me re-schedule a [censored] exam. I have a recording of the show and it was [censored] awesome - 3 hours plus of absolute badass rock. What a fucker. I'm pissed now.

ps. The list in that link isn't nearly complete.
pps. Three cheers for the censor filter on 2+2! No trickery here and my obscenity-laden post only got two words censored out - and they were the same word.

[/ QUOTE ]

'twas a good show. Also saw them:
1999-12-21 at the Metro (night two of those concerts that sold out in 30 seconds wheeee, thanks for the nice b-day present bro!).

I'm upset I missed Coachella 2004 (and probably will miss this years Coachella too)....it was on the other side of the country and fairly pricy.

mikeyvegas
02-16-2005, 08:04 AM
I missed seeing SRV and Eric Clapton in 1990.

jason_t
02-16-2005, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Same time period, the Paige/Plant reunion tour. I was really into Zeppelin at the time, but once again, too young.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome [censored] tour. I drove from Minneapolis to Chicago to see this concert with a friend; they were in Milwaukee a few nights prior. I was running late and on the drive, I got pulled over on the interstate in Wisconsin for going 100 in a 70. This cop comes to my car, hand on gun, and asked what my rush was and I showed him my tickets for the concert and explained. He had been to the Milwaukee show and we got into a conversation about Zep. He wrote me up for 75 in a 70.

Mars357
02-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Not sure of the year I think 77 or 78...

AC/DC (with Bon Scott) and Aerosmith

Would have loved to have seen Bon live

Mars357
02-16-2005, 09:43 AM
When I lived in Utah I had the chance to see Johnny Cash and didn't go because the person only had one ticket and I thought not pissing off my bitch of an ex wife was more important than going....STUPID!

Mars357
02-16-2005, 09:52 AM
RATM in Spanish Fork Utah....

Pretty sure it was the Evil Empire tour and nobody could figure out why they were playing a town in Utah with a population of about 20K at the time (though SLC is less than an hour away).

Spanish Fork is in the middle of Utah County which is also known as Happy Valley.... Very conservative area that was, at the time, 90% Mormon. The show caused a big flap and people in Spanish Fork were actually leaving town the night of the show because they were just sure the fans were going to go to the show, then plunder their town and rape their pets....

I guess I should stop wondering why they played there... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any way, the show went on and the fans didn't destroy the town..... It was so fun watching them freak out in the weeks before the show.

Why didn't I go? My evil ex HATED me listening to RATM and would have had FREAKED if I would have gone....

God, I sound like such a pussy

CCass
02-16-2005, 10:06 AM
Senior year in HS (fall of 1984) had tickets to see Bob Seager, Basketball coach decides to schedule a scrimmage game.

1987 (or 1988) I wreck on the way to see Billy Joel and Elton John. Not a big deal that I missed EJ, but I wanted to see Billy Joel.

willie
02-16-2005, 10:11 AM
ratm/beastie boys- had tickets for giants stadium, concert got cancelled and they broke up....

david gray- radio city music hall- had tickets but mistook my night one tickets for night 2 tickets and missed the show....yeah i smoked a lot of pot back in the day.

MarkL444
02-16-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Smashing Pumpkins last concert

[/ QUOTE ]

edtost
02-16-2005, 10:49 AM
the final phish and dispatch shows this past summer. i chose working that weekend over road tripping it to boston to see the dispatch show, and that really pisses me off. such a dumb decision.

bernie
02-16-2005, 10:52 AM
MotherLoveBone.

Never saw them live.
dammit!!!

b

crownjules
02-16-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the final phish and dispatch shows this past summer. i chose working that weekend over road tripping it to boston to see the dispatch show, and that really pisses me off. such a dumb decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually IN Boston, but I had a huge test I had to pass to graduate and then work that night. To say the least, I was pissed the whole train ride in to town as I was surrounded by concert goers.

Soul Daddy
02-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Missed Morrissey in October. Had a ticket, but it was the night of Game 7 of Sox vs Yanks, and I had to re-prioritize.

Beasties/RATM got cancelled when clumsy ass Mike D broke his clavicle. That ruined my entire summer that year.

turnipmonster
02-16-2005, 11:41 AM
first lollapalooza, beasties/tribe.

--turnipmonster

IsaacW
02-16-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Metallica and GnR when they toured together in the early 90's. I can't think of a better live show being possible. But alas, I was like 12.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, you missed out on the Paige/Plant deal. I saw them at Great Woods in MA. That was my first concert, and I was 13. It kicked ass.

I wish I'd gone to see The Darkness last summer when they were in Boston...

Fishwhenican
02-16-2005, 11:53 AM
God I wish I had seen Pink Floyd, any show!
Only other show I wish I had seen, that I could have easily, would be Aerosmith back in the late 70's.

scotnt73
02-16-2005, 11:59 AM
i had tickets to go see nirvana with my brother. i had tonsilitis that week and couldnt go so a friend of ours went with my brother. he still ribs me about missing that one /images/graemlins/grin.gif

i did see lallapalooza 1 in dallas and it was outstanding. the only concert i enjoyed more was depeche mode violator tour. i loved every song on that album and thought they were gods back then.

funny story about lallapalooza one. me and my brother and 2 friends decided to trip acid at it. wed all done it before except for one of our frinds. we stupidly found a guy there that had liquid acid in an eye dropper. we each payed like 10 or 20 bucks(i cant remember) for 1 drop on our tongue. we all got our drop and the last one to go was the friend who had never tripped before. you hear the guy lining up the dropper say woops! he then stated "your definately going to get YOUR moneys worth to our friend. of course he starts freeking out! "how much did you give me!" the dude says"dont worry you should be fine"

anyway we all had a VERY good time but we had to really keep him calm until it kicked in and he could enjoy it.

astroglide
02-16-2005, 12:16 PM
i'm seeing a lot of RATM mentions. i saw them for the first time opening at lollapalooza, and basically nobody there had even heard of them. i've never seen instant response like that before, opening bands even at lollapalooza usually just get the head nods and chat. the whole place erupted like it was led zeppelin playing about 45 seconds into bombtrack and it didn't stop for the whole set. afterwards everybody was walking around saying WHAT THE [censored] THAT WAS INSANE HJKFADSKFASDFSD.

usmfan
02-16-2005, 12:57 PM
scotnt73: I was at that Dallas Lollapalooza show. It was amazing. There were bonfires in the grass when Jane's was playing. I met Ice-T briefly after he finished his set and came out into the crowd to watch.
Biggest miss:
RedHotChiliPeppers, Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam were all playing a little club called Tipitina's in New Orleans probably in 1990. I was working and several people from work were going and I could get a ticket. Couldn't get this dick to cover my shift at work and so I had to stay home. Needless to say my friends came back raving about the show and telling me about these great "new" bands SP and PJ. RHCP were the only really known band at the time. Tip's is such a great venue to see a show. It's small and you get up close and personal with the band. I've seen countless great shows there. Just makes that miss even more painful.

Zygote
02-16-2005, 12:59 PM
ray charles, montreal jazz festival in 2001 or 2002, i can't remember.

deacsoft
02-16-2005, 01:11 PM
I would have liked to see Rage Against the Machine and The Anniversary before their break-ups and Sublime before the untimely death of Bradley.

I also wish that I had never missed a single Radiohead concert that was in my area. They put on a great show and sound so damn good live.

Boris
02-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Listen to Boris my friend and don't believe the hype. Ill was the only good one, but at least it was a great one.

Boris
02-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Yes. Not good.

Soul Daddy
02-16-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Listen to Boris my friend and don't believe the hype. Ill was the only good one, but at least it was a great one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this follow the "Greatness = Units Sold" argument? Taking musical merit out of the equation is the only way this makes any sense.

Boris
02-16-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does this follow the "Greatness = Units Sold" argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. This is a very bad argument.

Mars357
02-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Morphine

I missed seeing them in a little club in SLC called The Zypher Club and figured "oh well I'll catch them next time around" about two months later, Mark droped dead on stage in Europe....

I'm sad to report that the last time I was in SLC, The Zypher Club was no longer with us either....double whammy

meep_42
02-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Faith No More / GNR / Metallica in ... '92 or '93.

-d

Ulysses
02-16-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Morphine

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, they put on such a great show.

Ulysses
02-16-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
RedHotChiliPeppers, Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam were all playing a little club called Tipitina's in New Orleans probably in 1990.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. What a lineup. Tip's is such a great venue. Wow. Sorry.

turnipmonster
02-16-2005, 02:56 PM
my gf is obsessed with them. do you have the mark sandman sandbox that just came out? it comes with a dvd with lots of live footage.

--turnipmonster

Shajen
02-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Had I known what was gonna happen, I'd of made an effort to see Johnny Cash...

scotnt73
02-16-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
scotnt73: I was at that Dallas Lollapalooza show. It was amazing. There were bonfires in the grass when Jane's was playing. I met Ice-T briefly after he finished his set and came out into the crowd to watch.
Biggest miss:
RedHotChiliPeppers, Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam were all playing a little club called Tipitina's in New Orleans probably in 1990. I was working and several people from work were going and I could get a ticket. Couldn't get this dick to cover my shift at work and so I had to stay home. Needless to say my friends came back raving about the show and telling me about these great "new" bands SP and PJ. RHCP were the only really known band at the time. Tip's is such a great venue to see a show. It's small and you get up close and personal with the band. I've seen countless great shows there. Just makes that miss even more painful.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you see that guy climb up on the wall and ice t dared him to jump? that poor bastrd had the whole stadium chanting jump and had to do it then. i laughed my ass off