PDA

View Full Version : Pushing flush draws?

kongo_totte
02-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Prima NL50 $.5 BB. No read on villian (SB, w/ $70-ish stack). I´m CO w/ $50 and Ah Kh.

2 limpers to me who makes it $3, only villian calls. 2 to the flop.

Flop ($7): 9h 5s 2h

Villian makes it $9. I push for $38 more.

Standard?

xorbie
02-16-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Prima NL50 $.5 BB. No read on villian (SB, w/ $70-ish stack). I´m CO w/ $50 and Ah Kh.

2 limpers to me who makes it $3, only villian calls. 2 to the flop.

Flop ($7): 9h 5s 2h

Villian makes it $9. I push for $38 more.

Standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? It depends on what you think they have. Would they overbet a flop with two pair? Set? Will they call the all-in with just top pair or PP up to QQ? If not, you are losing and it seems like a -EV move to me.

bholdr
02-16-2005, 12:06 AM
you have position on your opponent. A semi bluff is a good play in the spot you're in, but there's no need to push yet, for two reasons:

A: if you bet the pot it's just about as good as a push in terms of folding equity.

B: If you miss, he'll likely check it to you because of the raise, letting you draw both cards for the price of one bet.

IMHO, of course.

TheWorstPlayer
02-16-2005, 12:14 AM
You are ahead of a one pair hand (unless he has the unlikely A9 or K9) which is his most likely holding here (TT?) unless he likes to get tricky with a set by betting into the preflop raiser (a nice move, actually). Betting anything less than all-in doesn't make sense because it only leaves you with a few dollars on the turn. Might as well get as much fold equity out of it as possible...

jhall23
02-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Some good things to consider have already been brought up.
I'll take a crack at some more things to consider at the same time:

Is this a player that is capable of folding? The more likely they are not the less this play is good. So against idiot calling stations it is not good.

Would you do this with a made hand ever like 2-pair or a set?
And do they know this? They may read this for exactly what it is because people often only do this with their draw and try and value bet/raise more with made hands.

These go hand in hand with the other things mentioned on what you would think he would overbet with. It could easily be an overpair trying to give the hearts a bad price. So that may make it more likely they can lay down to the push.

So in general this can be a good move but not a default, you need to consider alot of things before doing.

PS (this was just a general rant on the pushing with the draw) fwiw I agree with worst that in this hand if you are in it should be all in. You have to be pretty sure he is on a set here to not push and I probably would.

kongo_totte
02-16-2005, 12:29 AM
When I played it, I put him on TT-QQ , which I actually want a call from. But him folding wouldn't be bad by any means. The over-bet from him makes TT-QQ even more likely IMO. A set, or the very unlikely 2-pair, is almost always calling, but I'm drawing very lively to any of those hands. AA/KK are also possibilities of course, which rarely folds.

Folding is not an option as I see it. Either is calling since if he bets the turn with TT-QQ I won't have odds to chase. Also, if I called and caught the flush, my opportunity to stack him would decrease, also if an A or K fell. The alternative would be to raise the pot, leaving him too commited to get away even if a third heart fell.

jhall23
02-16-2005, 12:40 AM
As I added at the end I would push too. I totally agree with your reasoning and would put him on an overpair more likely than a set. I was mainly responding to pushing flush draws in general. Think you played this good. What's great is now you can play a monster like this as well and have a better chance of getting paid off.

kongo_totte
02-16-2005, 12:58 AM
You know, I flopped a set like 10 hands after that one and caught him tilting. Stacked him for another 50 bucks, playing exactly the same way.

Anyway, he called, I spiked a heart on the turn and stacked him.

fimbulwinter
02-16-2005, 01:30 AM
with what hand did he call?

fim

kongo_totte
02-16-2005, 09:23 AM
He mucked the first hand. When I had a set he had something like TPDK.