PDA

View Full Version : LAG Maniacs

iluzion
02-15-2005, 11:36 PM
I have a problem in every form of poker with LAG maniacs. Now Im not talking the typical PT auto-rate LAG, I am talking the full out nutso raise EVERYTHING, especially when checked to, kinda guys. With tournies, I usually stay out of there way, they dont seem to last too long usually. With fixed limit I let them bet out and pick up the average pot when I have it, if not I dont lose much. But with NL I don't know how to react, cold calling will only make them likly to continue betting, raising more likely for them to push over, because they certainly arnt folding, even if they dont have anything. What is the best way to deal with these kinda guys, when you have a mediocre, but not pure nuts, hand, or a drawing hand.

bholdr
02-15-2005, 11:53 PM
the answers to your problems are contained within your post:

"cold calling will only make them likly to continue betting,"
so cold call when you want them to bet
"raising more likely for them to push over"
raise when you want them to push
"because they certainly arnt folding, even if they dont have anything."
bet when you have a hand, fold when you don't.

marginal hands go up in value, since mainiacs will, on avarage, be playing more (that is, weaker) hands. Drawing hands go up in value, if you're getting proper odds to draw, since the implied odds are higher than against a non-mainiac. semi-bluffing and bluffing lose value, since they'll call.

If a player is a true mainiac, then why not just wait for the nuts? as long as they don't figure out what you're doing, you'll break 'em eventually. learn to play against mainiacs, they are very profitable opponents. (although, if you are at a table with a mainiac with a huge stack, leaving is usually your best option)

iluzion
02-15-2005, 11:58 PM
my bigger problem is a table full of maniacs.

bholdr
02-16-2005, 12:08 AM
which table? where? tell me! (just kidding. study some more TOP and learn how to beat mainiacs and your problem will become your favroite snack)

iluzion
02-16-2005, 12:13 AM
its the .05/.10NL tables on pokerstars

TheWorstPlayer
02-16-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(although, if you are at a table with a mainiac with a huge stack, leaving is usually your best option)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah I hate doubling up repeatedly also.

JoeTable
02-16-2005, 03:17 AM
How do drawing hands go up in value against a maniac?

transient
02-16-2005, 04:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you make your draw, you can take their whole stack.

JoeTable
02-16-2005, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you make your draw, you can take their whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, except that against a LAG you're very rarely going to get proper odds to complete your draws. Or is this not a concern to anyone?

TheWorstPlayer
02-16-2005, 04:58 AM
Implied odds go up, but you often don't even have the implied odds to draw because they often bet a lot (overbet the pot). Made hands go up a lot in value because you can take their stack simply by checking to them.

JoeTable
02-16-2005, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Implied odds go up, but you often don't even have the implied odds to draw because they often bet a lot (overbet the pot). Made hands go up a lot in value because you can take their stack simply by checking to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm saying. It's the exact opposite. Made hands go up, drawing hands go down.

TheWorstPlayer
02-16-2005, 05:04 AM
I agree with you. That's why I replied to transient (at the same time you were replying.) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

transient
02-16-2005, 05:15 AM
ah, I see your point. If I had a flush draw and they gave me marginally bad odds, I would still call. The problem is when they overbet the pot, as you said.

/images/graemlins/crazy.gif