PDA

View Full Version : % of flops seen

Paully
02-15-2005, 11:35 PM
I have been playing Holdem for a while, and I am just curious as to what percentage of flops should be seen. I have never seen anything on this. A range would be good, like 3%-5%. Any help would be appreciated.

TStoneMBD
02-16-2005, 12:19 AM
19%. its called VP$IP.

stenaf
02-16-2005, 01:21 AM
VP$IP and % flops seen is not the same thing. % flops seen includes if you check in BB, this is not the case with VP$IP.

imported_Robert Andersson
02-16-2005, 01:28 AM
it very much depends on game. In generel if u see more thean 20% thats to loose in a normal game except smallstakes. A value between 15-20 is very good.

VP$IP is not seen flops. It is the times that u deside to enter the pot AND your not in the blinds position.

Good luck! /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

/Robert

TStoneMBD
02-16-2005, 01:31 AM
vpip means voluntarily put money in pot, which means that completing in the small blind or calling a raise in the big blind adds to your VPIP. but yes, checking in the big blind doesnt add to this %, but you easily calculate how often your bb isnt raised, so you can add that to your % to see how often you see a flop.

Pepsquad
02-16-2005, 01:38 AM
It's not a statistic you should be too concerned with over the course of a single session. But I usually find that when I'm playing my A game at limit - 10 handed ring game that I'm in the neighborhood of 18-22%.

bobbyi
02-16-2005, 05:14 AM
If you limp and then it gets raised and reraised behind you and you decide to fold, you have voluntarily put money in the pot preflop, but not seen the flop.

TStoneMBD
02-16-2005, 05:56 AM
youre not helping!

ACW
02-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Another difference is if you raise and everyone folds - you've put money in but not seen a flop.

I find this question interesting because I don't have PT (so don't know my VPIP), but the sites I play automatically track the % of flops I see.

Paully
02-16-2005, 09:27 AM
I don't know how much it matters to my game or anyone elses, but I haven't read about it in any books or anything and I would think they would say something about it in books. Something like "If you see 25% of flops you are playing too loose or if you don't see 15% of flops thats too tight" I have never seen it so I was curious.

bobbyi
02-16-2005, 07:56 PM
Mason once wrote an essay on exactly this topic. He said that a good player will see about 15% of flops. However, this is very game-dependent, so that may be way off for the game you play. Note that if you are in a passive nine-handed game where almost no hands are raised preflop, you would be seeing more than 10% of flops just from the times you get free plays in the BB, so 15% would clearly be low. He was talking about a "typical" (at the time the essay was written) moderately tough/ tight/ aggressive mid-limit game.