PDA

View Full Version : Lay AA down against a straightforward player?

Jeffage
09-02-2002, 08:21 PM
Playing in a 5-10 Hold Game at The Taj this Sunday. Game is wonderful. I have AA UTG and raise it. A player who I perceive as weak tight cold calls (he is a bit loose btf but doesnt make many "moves" later...he is a regular, bets his hands strong, but calls down more than he should). One other coldcaller. Blinds fold. We take the flop 3 handed. Flop comes Q-8-J with two spades. I don't have the ace of spades. I bet, weak tight raises, other guy folds, I 3 bet in case he is just on a flush draw. He just calls. The turn is the epitome of brick...2d. I bet, he raises. How can I be winning this one? Anyone fold against this type of player? I don't see him going wild with AQ here...QJ is possible but I just feel he has the flopped str8. Comments? My move and the results to follow.

Jeff

Mike Gallo
09-02-2002, 08:49 PM
Jeff,

He very well could have had 9 10 spades or JQ suited.

I would have checked and then folded the turn.

Michael

09-03-2002, 02:54 AM
I sometimes become a sucker with my AA but in this situation, I think folding maybe in order. The fact that he just called after your 3-bet on the flop but still raised after you led out on the turn, to me is a strong signal that he has at least 2 pairs with a set or made straight as possibilities. I think he would just have called if he was still on a draw. In my experience, if I get raised and just call on the flop, and then lead out on the turn, an inferior holding will normally just call.

BTW, I was there Sunday on 63, seat 9 from about 5:30PM but moved to 62 after getting beat up by an older man who in spite of losing to others kept on hammering me when he had good cards. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

09-03-2002, 01:10 PM
While T9 is possible, as is QJ, and either of those really coldcalling hands preflop?

Seems to me that he could just as easily have KK or AQ and as terrified of the draws as you are. Call the turn. Check and call the river.

Jim Roy
09-03-2002, 09:57 PM
Yes I would lay down pretty quickly here.

Because you know this weak tight player, you are quite certain that you are beat, and the pot is not that big, only about 9BB? You believe you are most likely drawing dead to the straight, with the possibility of him having a set or perhaps top two. His having two pair is the only hand you really have a reasonable draw against, and it's unlikely that he has it so I would let him take it down.

Jeffage
09-04-2002, 05:38 AM
I called him down. He showed me 88 for a flopped set. I knew I should have folded but had trouble doing so in a heads up situation.

Jeff