PDA

View Full Version : Raise or Limp????

imported_Robert Andersson
02-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Limit Poker/small stakes

In early position, what to do with 99 and TT pocket par?

Lost Wages
02-15-2005, 07:30 PM
You forgot "Depends".

Lost Wages

bungyrocks
02-15-2005, 07:33 PM
I limp with 99, raise with 1010

jason_t
02-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Raise preflop.

shadow29
02-15-2005, 07:37 PM
I assume no one has raised before:

raise pf.

mtdoak
02-15-2005, 07:42 PM
It all depends on the texture of the game.

gaming_mouse
02-15-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It tighter games, I'm more inclined to raise. In very loose games, where these hands are unlikely to hold up unimproved, I'm more likely to limp and hope for a set.

bernie
02-15-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You forgot "Depends".

[/ QUOTE ]

Incontinent? Need a mop?

b

Shillx
02-15-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It tighter games, I'm more inclined to raise. In very loose games, where these hands are unlikely to hold up unimproved, I'm more likely to limp and hope for a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? In very loose games limping is horrible when people will coldcall you with J7s and K6s and 98o. You leave way to much money on the felt by limping.

Brad

Piers
02-15-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Huh? In very loose games limping is horrible when people will coldcall you with J7s and K6s and 98o. You leave way to much money on the felt by limping

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad thinking. The main reason for limping is that you want people to make bad calls with these hands. Give me a load of 98s every time when I have 99.

The reason for rasing is that people are NOT calling with these weak hands, but are mostly calling with overcards to your pair.

You raise to knock out the people calling with stronger hands, but limp to encourage peple calling with weaker hands.

Shillx
02-15-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Huh? In very loose games limping is horrible when people will coldcall you with J7s and K6s and 98o. You leave way to much money on the felt by limping

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad thinking. The main reason for limping is that you want people to make bad calls with these hands. Give me a load of 98s every time when I have 99.

The reason for rasing is that people are NOT calling with these weak hands, but are mostly calling with overcards to your pair.

You raise to knock out the people calling with stronger hands, but limp to encourage peple calling with weaker hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we are referring to the same game. I'm talking about people who will call regardless of how many bets it is to them. These people are abundant both live and online and if they like their hand enough to limp, then they will surely play for 2 or 3 bets.

Brad

Nick Royale
02-15-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Raising in tighter games will only get coldcallers/raisers with overcards/overpairs. Raising in loose games will get coldcallers with A3s etc.

Piers
02-16-2005, 12:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raising in tighter games will only get coldcallers/raisers with overcards/overpairs. Raising in loose games will get coldcallers with A3s etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, thats what I said /images/graemlins/confused.gif

EliteNinja
02-16-2005, 12:18 AM
Limping is a major mistake.
And one poor guy voted to limp.
That guy should raise.

Piers
02-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Ah Sorry I miss-understand what you mean now. If people are calling a raise with 98o then yes you should be raisng with 88.