PDA

View Full Version : How bad did I play this?

yurynate
02-15-2005, 07:17 PM
$5 SNG on UB.

No reads.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t830)
Button (t5225)
SB (t1140)
Hero (t965)
UTG (t560)
MP1 (t635)
MP2 (t645)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t30, MP2 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t30, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t150) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, MP1 calls t150, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: (t450) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t85</font>, MP1 calls t85.

My bet here was so low because I wanted to see if he would reraise, where I would fold. However since he just called I figured him for a flush draw.

River: (t620) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t370 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t990

Should I have done anything different?

raptor517
02-15-2005, 07:20 PM
you will probably laugh, but i would check fold this flop.

Pokerscott
02-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Aside from the bluff possibility, what hand do you put him on to explain his bet pattern? (ignoring this is a $5 SnG /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

He limped with 5 people acting behind him. I could see AA KK or a pocket pair 99 or less. Maybe also AJs or suited connectors down to T9 at the outside.

Given the call on the flop I drop 22 - 55. I would bet he doesn't call with 88 - TT (raise or fold), so I would eliminate those also. That leaves AA KK 77 66 AJ QJ JT and maybe a suited connector with spades.

You don't beat very many of these hands when the spade hits, so I guess I fold the river. I would likely bet the turn big enough so the flush draws aren't getting the odds to call (half the pot maybe). If he calls or raises that bet you are generally beat and the river just makes it worse.

Pokerscott

KenProspero
02-15-2005, 07:40 PM
It's important to know here how tight the other players in the pot are.

If the other players are all loose, I'd assume my Jacks with a Q kicker is the best hand presently, and would bet much larger than you did.

I'm hoping to take down the pot right there, and to drive out any A or K, or flush draw, that's lurking there (or at least get good odds if they call me). If a loose player with another J calls me, then there's a good chance my kicker will hold up. However, if a very tight player called, I'd be very concerned. What hands could a tight player have to call (and not raise originally) -- AJ and KJ or a couple of spades come quickly to mind.

My problem with the bet of 150 in a loose game (even though it matches the pot) is once you get a caller or two, it probably becomes correct for others to follow along.

Ultimately, I'd probably bet 300 on the flop (maybe more). If you're raised (especially by a tight player), you probably fold and deal with the fact that you've crippled yourself.

Patrick Duffy
02-15-2005, 07:41 PM
judging by his actions, and by my extensive experience with the $5 level, id say he was definitely either on a flush draw or aq. but when he didnt raise after your turn bet, id more likely put him on the flush draw. in either of these situations you are beat, so id say you made a good fold to stay alive. however, if someone calculated all the odds and pot size into it, you mightve been better off calling this...

keep in mind though, im on a 5 tournament losing streak so my reads might be a bit off at the moment...

citanul
02-15-2005, 07:56 PM
you played the hand pretty poorly.

i'm more concerned, eh, or maybe just "as concerned" by the fact that you have "no reads" on the players at the table with you. someone's up at T5k, how do you have no reads on even him?

citanul