PDA

View Full Version : Monster 20-40 pot at the Commerce

skp
09-02-2002, 06:11 PM
This pot ended up having over $1800 in it.

I have 9h8h in the bb.

Several limpers. Late position raiser. I call. Some guy limp reraises just for kicks and the original raiser caps. I am in. 8 or 9 way action. I can't remember.

Flop: 8c5h4d

I bet. 4 callers before the guy in late position who raised preflop hits it again. I 3 bet and we lose no one. 6 way action. About a grand in the pot already.

Turn: 6h which still leaves me with top pair but I now also have a straight flush gutshot draw. On the other hand, I have 5 opponents any one of whom may have a 7 for the easy straight (well okay, it's highly unlikely that the preflop aggressor has the straight).

I check. Mistake?

One of the guys who has been calling all along somewhere in middle position bets and everyone calls. Still 6 way action.

River: Jh making the board 8c5h4d6hJh. I just made the backdoor flush.

I bet. A super aggressive player to my immediate left raises. The guy who put in the original raise preflop and on the flop makes it $120. I have no read on this man as he had just joined the game about 10 minutes earlier.

What should I do? Easy fold? Tough fold? Crying call?

Clarkmeister
09-02-2002, 07:02 PM
I think its an easy call, despite not closing the action. Preflop raiser would have had to raised the flop with overcards and a backdoor flush draw to have you beat here. That's got to be a little unlikely. I'm guessing JJ, despite the fact that a rational person could only have AKh, AQh here. The first raiser could easily have the straight. Anyways, no way can you fold here given the pot size, IMO. I'd guess you have a 25% chance of having the best hand, way more than needed due to pot size.

adios
09-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Don't think folding is right. Is raising right to try to knock out a better flush? Probably not since the pot is enormous. Looks like a call is the best play even if it costs some extra bets as the pot is so big. The late position raise could very well be designed to knock out a little flush.

Coilean
09-03-2002, 02:23 AM
I don't see how you could fold to an unknown player here. The super aggressive could have all sorts of hands, being what he is, so I would pretty much ignore him and worry about the reraiser. You probably lose (AKh?), but the hell if I'll give a guy any respect before he's earned it, especially with $1800 at stake. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

David Sklansky
09-03-2002, 02:45 AM
The question borders on silly.

09-03-2002, 03:48 AM
This doesn't sound like a question that SKP would ask. Borrowing a phrase from JimB, "it would be criminal to fold here".

skp
09-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Silly?

Well, I sure felt silly after calling and being shown AhQh by the river 3 bettor and the KhTh by the river two bettor. To add insult to injury, both of them felt that my call was crazy :-)

In any event, I called precisely because of what Clark said.

BTW, what's your play on the turn? Or, is that yet another question too silly to ask?...sheesh