PDA

View Full Version : Taking notes online at PP

09-02-2002, 05:53 PM
How exactly should I be taking notes online, I will start playing there thursday, but I figured I would go ahead and get some notes on some players, right now, I just look to see what they limped in with or raised with if they get to a showdown, should I be recording each time they see the flop and such. Thanks

Homer
09-03-2002, 11:03 AM
I would first try to categorize players as:

1) loose-aggressive (maniacs)
2) loose-passive (calling stations)
3) tight-passive (rocks)
4) tight-aggressive (good players...don't want to play against too many of these guys)

I would first look at how many flops they see, how often they raise/call/fold, and how often they take their hand to showdown. This is usually enough to give you a general idea about the player, at least enough to place them in one of the four categories I mentioned.

I would then begin to note more specific things, such as their approximate starting hand requirements. For example, "Plays any two suited", "Only raises preflop with pocket Q's and up", "Never raises preflop", "Any two, any time", etc...

I also like to note a player's propensity to bluff on the river. For example, I play against many players who, if their draw does not get there, will fold to a river bet, but will bet if checked to. Against these players, I simply check and call their bluff bet.

I also like to note whether players can be pushed off of a hand. Some players can be easily pushed off of a medicre hand with a turn raise/checkraise (when a scare card hits), but against some players there is no sense in doing this, as absolutely nothing is going to make them fold. With these types of players, make raises purely for value.

I also like to note the likelihood of a player to go on tilt. I play against many players who play tight and aggressive, but go bezerk after taking one bad beat, and suddenly become loose and aggressive. Having a note about this helps me to quickly recognize when the playing style of this player changes. I can use this information to perhaps make raises I would not have made previously, to isolate myself with this player.

Hopefully, what I have written will give you some food for thought. Basically, write down anything that you think will help you to win more money from a player.

09-03-2002, 04:41 PM
Hey, thanks a lot, didn't think I was going to get any replies, that was pretty informative. I just turned 21 in late June, and I played at the boat about 8 or 9 times and have only lost twice, and am up around 500, but I put some money on paradise a cuople weeks ago, tripled it and all of a sudden lost it in 2 days, Ive read books and everything, a few times and feel that I nkow what im diong, but looking for more advantages now in the online area.

Homer
09-04-2002, 12:04 PM
Are you saying that you lost $1500 in two days? If so, you are either playing at a limit that is much too high for your bankroll (it sounds like this money was your entire roll, maybe I am wrong?), or you are playing at a reasonable level, and making numerous errors in your play. Out of curiousity, what limit were you playing at when this loss occurred? Good luck with your play...