PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts.... maybe interesting Kings hand

kurto
02-15-2005, 05:50 PM
High action preflop hand.

.25BB NL on Pokerstars.

I'm on the button with KK.
Early position player does the min raise (.50). 2 or 3 calls to late/MP player who raises to 1.25... to cutoff who raises to $2.25.... to me. With this nice pot, I know I've gotta see the flop. I think about reraising, but with a raise and a reraise, Aces aren't out of the question, right? So I call. I expect some others to fold but no... not a single person folds. I believe it was 6 people to the flop.

(~$12) The Flop is A-8-3 rainbow. CHECKS all the way around to the cutoff who bets $3.

Here's my thoughts. Please feel free to yell at me.

With all those raises and calls, I figured someone had to have a good ace hand. I was very shocked when it was checked to the cutoff. I couldn't believe it almost got checked all the way to me (where I would have had to bet at least 2/3 of the pot)

When he bet $3, my first thought was that he really underbet the pot. Which my first thought was he had a PP that missed. I didn't want to give him credit for an ace with that weak bet... unless he was trying to get people to call with lesser hands. On top of that, I had trouble believing that no one was slowplaying something. Could 6 people have called raises of 9x the BB and not one of them had a great ace hand? None of them hit this flop?

The only other thought I had to explain his underbetting was that this was an extraordinarily high pot for this table... a $3 bet (regardless of the pot size) was a large flop bet for this table. He may see it as a strong bet even though its only 1/4 of the pot.

I folded. Mostly because I couldn't believe there wasn't at least one ace out there.

I expected him to get some calls but to my surprise, everyone folded around and he won it with a $3 bet.

Do I need to be smacked silly? Or would you give the cutoff credit for an ace? Anyone think I was ahead?

PoBoy321
02-15-2005, 05:55 PM
I think that not re-raising pre-flop is a huge mistake. You have a monster and you have position. Get your money in there.

As for this particular situation, I would raise the CO. try to isolate him since his holdings could very easily by QQ or JJ depending on how he plays those types of hands pre-flop. At these levels, a re-raise in late position is very common.

mythrilfox
02-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Preflop, stack sizes are very important here, esp. the Late/MP player and the CO. We need to consider coming over the top because I really don't expect all those people to fold. Are aces out there? I don't know, possibly. But I'm committing myself preflop w/ kings at these stakes. I've seen this play made too many times with TT-QQ to consider laying down kings preflop. By calling and allowing everyone else to tag along you *are* resorting yourself ultimately to playing them for set value, as there are very few flops that make you happy.

I'd fold the flop as well, especially since you have so many people acting after you. He could easily have you drawing to 2 outs or even dead (although your typical player checks a set of aces here). The $3 bet really doesn't mean much, it's obvious from his weak preflop raise that he has no conception of pot size, so he might actually think that's a strong bet, like you said.

kurto
02-15-2005, 06:09 PM
"I think that not re-raising pre-flop is a huge mistake." I tend to agree. I would raise ANY single raise with this hand. It was the minraise-reraise-reraise that worried me. I would have been putting in the 4th raise. I usually think by the time you get to the second reraise... someone has aces. (though I've certainly been wrong)

Thinking about this later... I thought I should have possibly made the 'move of honor'... my thoughts being, the only hand that really would scare me is pocket aces. With 6 to the flop, all of them either raising or calling raises... I figure more then one of them has to have an ace, thereby reducing the odds that there will be an ace on the flop.

For this hand, I thought, barring an ace on the flop, I was going to take this pot. My one scare card hit....

kurto
02-15-2005, 06:15 PM
"Preflop, stack sizes are very important here, esp. the Late/MP player and the CO." Unfortunately I don't have the hand history for this one. I can say that I had at least $30+ dollars and was the big stack. I don't think anyone else had more then the max buy in ($25)... most had between $10-$25.

"We need to consider coming over the top because I really don't expect all those people to fold." Yeah. I chickened out because of the mutliple raises. In retrospect, I wish I had just pushed.

"The $3 bet really doesn't mean much, it's obvious from his weak preflop raise that he has no conception of pot size, so he might actually think that's a strong bet, like you said." I'm glad to see other people look at opponents that way. I used to think of my bets in dollar value as opposed to their relation to potsize. So I take that into account when other people bet.

TheWorstPlayer
02-15-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Preflop, stack sizes are very important here, esp. the Late/MP player and the CO." Unfortunately I don't have the hand history for this one. I can say that I had at least $30+ dollars and was the big stack. I don't think anyone else had more then the max buy in ($25)... most had between $10-$25.

"We need to consider coming over the top because I really don't expect all those people to fold." Yeah. I chickened out because of the multiple raises. In retrospect, I wish I had just pushed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't chicken out. Puuuuuuuuuuuush.

ryanghall
02-15-2005, 09:14 PM
In a higher buyin, you'd be a little more scared to reraise, but at this level, you've got to.

On the flop, I think you can safely fold. Someone is going to have an ace.