PDA

View Full Version : Toughest $6-$12 Mirage Hand of My Trip

09-02-2002, 05:51 PM
Hey all,

Back from a weekend in Vegas that resulted in many many hours of poker and minimal losses. Not a bad result but could have been better considering how good the games were. Anyway...this hand gave me plenty of trouble and I am curious how others would have played it. The game is 6-12 HE at the Mirage. This was during a pretty heavy drinking, bullshitting session with 3 of my buddies and our very own HDPM. The game was pretty loose, considering 4 of us play very ABC pre-flop. The remainder of the table were semi-rational any 2 card players, meaning suited connectors and "20" hands were common, trash like Q6o not so much so. Post-flop the game was pretty passive, I think the hand below resulted in the only 4 bet of the 5 hour long session. Because of the amount of whiskies I drank and our nearly incessant BSing, I did not have a great read on my individual opponents tendencies. Here are the details:

I have QQ 2 off the button and raise 3 limpers. The cut-off folds and the button cold calls 2 and the BB calls. 6 players, 6 BB.

Flop is 7d 5d 4c

Checked to me, I bet. Button raises, Everyone else folds. Heads-up, I reraise (mistake??) and my opponent (an older lady, possibly a local) 4 bets. I call. At this point, I think if I don't hit a Q I am done on the turn. Of course, the turn board is:

7d 5d 4c [Qd]

What is your plan for the remainder of this hand?

Would you have played the flop differently than me? Why or why not (I hope this part includes what hand you put her on after each of her bets)?

Thanks in advance. 2 more hands coming...

KJS

sucka
09-02-2002, 06:04 PM
I'd put the lady on a set and the button on a good diamond flush draw.

In most cases I would have played the flop exactly the same as you did. When it gets 4 bet though you'd have to put someone on flopping a str8 or maybe top set.

As far as the rest of streets you are going to get bet into on the turn and I'd raise there as well. Charge the button big time if he is indeed on a big flush draw. Meanwhile, your hand is 2nd nuts on the turn so you might as well bet it.

Depending on what hits on the river (complete the flush or another card comes up putting 4 to a str8) I'd just call it down here. If no 4 str8 or 3 flush then I'd raise again as well.

Mike Gallo
09-02-2002, 06:07 PM
Vinny,

At this point, I think if I don't hit a Q I am done on the turn. Of course, the turn board is:

7d 5d 4c [Qd]

That third diamond could have very well given her the flush. She has position on you and could have you raised with a draw. She also could have put you on a draw and raised to protect a pocket pair, thinking you had bet the flush draw.

You have outs although I do not believe you need the board to pair to win the hand. I don't think you would have to worry about 3 6 or 6 8 for a flopped straight.

I would lead out on the turn, to see if the diamond scared her or helps her. If she raises again, then call and if the board pairs on the river, try for a check raise.

Because of the amount of whiskies I drank and our nearly incessant BSing, I did not have a great read on my individual opponents tendencies. Here are the details:
I do not drink and play for the reason you stated. Drinking clouds the judgement. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

KJS
09-02-2002, 06:16 PM
I agree about drinking and playing, it does cloud the judgment. But...this was the night of my bachelor party, I was staked in the game, the drinks were free and I was having a great time with 3 good friends and HDPM, whom I just met but really enjoyed hanging with. No way I am giving up whiskies to grind out a few bucks. I'll take a loss in the EV department for that much fun anytime.

As far as the hand goes. I did bet the turn and she raised...going to wait a bit longer on the results.

KJS

KJS
09-02-2002, 06:18 PM
sucka,

I only had one opponent after the flop: "the lady" and "the button" are the same player. I needed to put her on a hand and play accordingly, especially after I turned top set.

KJS

09-02-2002, 07:24 PM
KJS-

I was at your table for that hand (dude in seat 4, two to the left of the lady in this hand). It was pretty apparent what you had when you bet into her on the turn, but i wouldn't have put her on the hand she showed down. She was a pretty tricky player, though too loose pre-flop. I probably would have played the hand the same as you.

Hope the bachelor party and the rest of the trip was fun.

Regards,
SiJa

sucka
09-02-2002, 07:47 PM
yes - I'm sorry about that I misread your original post and neglected to see that the Q that gave you a set also put 3 to a diamond flush on the board.

Given that information... :-)

It could very well be that the lady was pumping the flush draw on the flop.

I think at this point you can check/call any bets as you probably have 11 good outs to make quads or fill up with the pot laying 9-1 for you on the turn.

Clearly, you can't fold here - the safe play is to check/call and showdown.

I'd still put her on a set or flush draw on the flop though. You really didn't say much about your read on her.

KJS
09-03-2002, 04:05 PM
To recap:

I have QQ, flop is 7 5 4 w/2 diamonds. I am 4 bet after reraising. Turn is the Q of diamonds.

I really thought my opponent had a set after the flop. Mostly because I thought it was more likely someone would call a raise with a pair than with 63 or 86. Therefore, I thought I was ahead and wanted to get more bets. So I bet and was raised. OK, pair the board...

No dice. I paid her off and she showed me 6d3d for the flush. What a flop for that hand!

I think I should have check-called the turn but I had a read and thought I should go for it. But...if I knew 100% she had a set, I would checkraise so maybe I misused my own incorrect read.

Like I said, it was a tough hand for me.

KJS

Clarkmeister
09-04-2002, 02:04 AM
Have we met?

HDPM
09-05-2002, 11:29 PM
Hey, don't rain on our parade. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif KJS already defended the virtue of our whisky drinking, but I feel the need to do so in addition. We knew what we were doing and having fun. We know better from an EV point of view. As I said in my trip report there was no other game I would have rather been in at that moment. Yeah, the night before I was grinding in the 10-20 drinking decaf or bottled water. But this game was for whisky drinking and fun. That is NOT to say we were playing completely soft. We were showing some hands and stuff, but it wasn't like we were out of control. Anyway, I think you would have liked it and if you were there we would have corrupted you and poured whisky down your neck too. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
P.S. I watched the hand go down and thought WTF? My read on the lady was totally wrong. No way could KJS lay his pair then set down. The turn bet is debatable I suppose, but KJS was in a tough spot. I have no genius answers about it.

HDPM
09-05-2002, 11:33 PM
Were you the dude that ruined my super genius UTG raise w/ any two bit by three-betting. I had that all planned out after the guys were on me to straddle. I have never straddled but decided to raise w/ any 2 and check raise the flop if played with. Thanks for ruining that great idea along with the lady from KJS's hand. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

If it wasn't you tell me so I won't be mad at you. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif